2004 NASCAR Schedule Changes

Do you think NASCAR ripped us off with these changes?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters
H

Happy29

062003.gif

Well, the cartoon speaks for itself. Recently, Rockingham or "The Rock" or just plain North Carolina Speedway, a track which we've seen raise holy hell on NASCAR's rookies and tires for that matter has lost a date to California Motor Speedway which in turn replaced the usual Southern 500 held by Darlington on Labor Day and Darlington getting the 2nd Rockingham date in November. Has NASCAR sold it's fans out just to attract a larger fanbase. Apparently, the closest finish in NASCAR history between the 32 and 97 in Darlington didnt prove worthy for NASCAR to keep it on Labor Day. We can thank our lucky stars that NASCAR did not remove a race from Darlington. However, a piece of tradition has just been removed, for as long as NASCAR has existed, the Southern 500 has always been in Darlington on Labor Day Weekend.

We then compare the finish between Craven and Busch in the Darlington Race to the California Race this year with Kurt Busch winning by a second over Bobby Labonte. Now, with those results, did NASCAR make a horrible decision. Arright guys, the ball is in your court.

IMO NASCAR has cheated the true fans of NASCAR out of great racing and that is what matters in the long term. Short term NASCAR can sell more tickets and increase their revenue.

But they are following FOX and NBC in th dumbing down of NASCAR. The networks collectively have turned NASCAR from a sporting event into a piece of entertainment fluff. NASCAR is following by taking racing away from tracks that challenge a driver's skill and ability to manage equipment; then the races are given to tracks that are boring but generally like half the other tracks on the schedule.

Darlington and Rockingham give us wonderful racing and side by side finishes. Chicago, California, Kansas, and Texas; for the most part, has given us follow the leader parades, fuel strategy, and races won from pit road rather than on the track.

I wish they added a Kansas race instead of California...but the sport does need to branch out a little bit. If it is going to get even more popular, It just can't stick around all of the "old" racetracks...I agree some of the races over at Darlington, and what not...are usually good...but If you look in the crowd...It is the same faces every year that have seen the race for 18 years running or whatever. In Califronia, everyone is new, bringing more attention and popularity to NASCAR, making it grow worldwide. I live closest to Kansas Speedway, and I probably never would have been able to ever go to a race, but since they "Branched out" It gave me an opputunity, to become more of a fan. My whole idea....Its good that they move around a little...

A race at the Rock goes away, the Southren 500 not on Labor day weekend and we get to watch another road race, oh joys. Actually it gives my wife another day to pick what she wants to watch. Thank God we still have some local dirt tracks to enjoy. I guess if they ever open a NA$CAR track in NYC we'll lose Bristol, After all its the same old faces there year after year.

If they did replace Bristol, then we'd raise an unholy jihad on NASCAR ^_^

Whatever happened to servicing the loyal customer? It seems like big companies are so worried about attract new customers or fans in Nascar's case, they forget about all the people that have stuck with them for years. If Nascar listened to the fans that truely love this sport they would know we don't want anymore damn cookie cutter tracks!

Originally posted by DeeDee@Jun 28 2003, 09:22 AM
Whatever happened to servicing the loyal customer? It seems like big companies are so worried about attract new customers or fans in Nascar's case, they forget about all the people that have stuck with them for years. If Nascar listened to the fans that truely love this sport they would know we don't want anymore damn cookie cutter tracks!
They have to attract new customers because they have offended some of their biggest supporters over the years. I wouldn't mind if they made another cookie cutter track, as long as it was a copy of richmond or bristol...

I live here in Missouri and have been a fan for about my whole life...and believe me...I wish that they had made Kansas a short track or superspeedway. But I am happy with what we get from here on out.

I like NASCAR the way it is, I think personally we're already improving our fanbase the way it is. I think any new fans coming into the sport once they see California will get the idea that most races will be boring unless the tracks name is Daytona or Talladega or Darlington or Bristol. So, I think NASCAR wouldve been better off keeping with tradition.

Rockingham might have had a chance if it wasn't right smack dab in the middle of nowhere, NA$CAR is looking for markets that have reasonable accomadations (hotels, restaurants,etc.....) in close vicinity of the track.
In addition, NA$CAR is interested in tracks that are currnetly making plans to add lights.

Back
Top Bottom