2014 Michigan - Pure Michigan 400 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
FRIDAY, AUGUST 15:

ON TRACK
-- Noon-1:20 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 1:30-2:30 p.m.: NASCAR Nationwide Series practice
-- 1:30-2:30 pm.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series practice, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 3-4:25 pm.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 3-4:30 p.m.: NASCAR Nationwide Series final practice

-- 4:40 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)

SATURDAY, AUGUST 16:

ON TRACK-- 8:30-9:20 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice, ESPN2 (Follow live)
-- 9:40 a.m.: NASCAR Nationwide Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, ESPN2
-- 9:40 a.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 11-11:55 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, ESPN2 (Follow live)
-- 12:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Careers for Veterans 200 (100 laps, 200 miles), FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 2:45 p.m.: NASCAR Nationwide Series Nationwide Children's Hospital 200 (90 laps, 203.22 miles), ESPN (Follow live)

SUNDAY, AUGUST 17:

ON TRACK
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Pure Michigan 400 (200 laps, 400 miles), ESPN(Follow live)

NASCAR Numbers:

12: The number of different winners in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series this season. AJ Allmendinger's victory at Watkins Glen eliminated one Chase position available on points, leaving a maximum of four up for grabs, if the next four races produce repeat winners. Those drivers who haven't won yet have reason to be nervous.

10: The number of top-10 finishes recorded this year by rookie Kyle Larson, who ran fourth in Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Watkins Glen. Larson is 10th in the series standings and right in the middle of the fight for a Chase spot.

10: The number of top-five finishes this season for Dale Earnhardt Jr., the only driver in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series who has reached double figures in that statistical category. Though Earnhardt finished 11th on Sunday, he took over the series lead from teammate Jeff Gordon, after Gordon had electrical problems with his pole-winning #24 Chevy.

33: Jimmie Johnson's average finish in the last five NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races. Johnson's rash of trouble continued Sunday at Watkins Glen, where the six-time champion got the worst of a three-wide predicament with Kyle Larson and Matt Kenseth, as the cars negotiated Turn 1. Johnson spun and finished 28th.

2: The number of drivers who have won back-to-back races in the last 16 years at Michigan International Speedway. Ryan Newman accomplished the feat in 2003-2004, and Greg Biffle did it twice, in 2004-2005 and 2012-2013. Neither driver has won yet this year.

It's going to be really tough for me to get back in the swing of my NASCAR fandom after the unfortunate incident involving my favorite driver.

ODDS TO WIN 2014 PURE MICHIGAN 400 (8/17/14)
Jimmie Johnson 5/1
Brad Keselowski 6/1
Kevin Harvick 6/1
Jeff Gordon 7/1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 8/1
Joey Logano 10/1
Kasey Kahne 10/1
Matt Kenseth 15/1
Tony Stewart 15/1
Kyle Busch 15/1
Kyle Larson 18/1
Kurt Busch 18/1
Carl Edwards 30/1
Denny Hamlin 30/1
Clint Bowyer 30/1
Ryan Newman 30/1
Greg Biffle 30/1
Jamie McMurray 40/1
Brian Vickers 40/1
Paul Menard 50/1
Field (Any Other Driver)75/1
Austin Dillon 100/1
Martin Truex Jr. 100/1
AJ Allmendinger 300/1
Marcos Ambrose 300/1
Aric Almirola 300/1
Trevor Bayne 300/1
Justin Allgaier 300/1
Danica Patrick 300/1
Ricky Stenhouse 300/1

Joey+Logano+Pure+Michigan+400+n3NbcZst4opl.jpg

521789751aa18.image.jpg

:D

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-12_8-55-44.jpeg
    upload_2014-8-12_8-55-44.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 117
I have a soft spot for Michigan --- I guess because it was my very first NASCAR race in person.
Me too.. not in person but this race in 2009 was the first full NASCAR race I ever watched.... Although it was the first race my father ever went to.... Vickers won..... I haven't missed one since.... more or less.

I have a soft spot for Michigan --- I guess because it was my very first NASCAR race in person.
I've only been there a few times. It's been a long time though. To give you an idea how long..... The last time I was there was the one and only time that a race had 3 Earnhardts running in the same race. Dale, Kerry & Dale Jr raced together that day albeit only five laps before Kerry crashed. Rusty won that race.

I can't wait. Race your hearts out SHR! Racing (and hopefully winning) cures everything.

Even thought some people find Michigan boring, i have always have liked Michigan, would like to see a race there i day

for many of years i thought fuel mileage when i think of Michigan, but now it seems fuel mileage plays out at a lot of races.

I have to pay attention at Michigan. Sometimes there are different strategy's working and then the yellows change everything or not, you never know. And then there are the engines, probably the hardest track on those, love the screaming engine in car stuff. Tough track on cars and fans. They all be a whining come Sunday.

Reactions: JEB
Kinda interesting. I think so anyway. After Watkins Glen leading into Michigan, 19 of the top 20 in points changed position after last weekend. I'd imagine that's rare. Then again, I'm too lazy to look. Repeating myself for the nth time, I sure which they would have come up with this current points system before the implementation of the Chase. By design it rewards consistency and keeps many more teams within reach if it were allowed to play out.

As with every MIS Cup race, I will be there. I've decided to sit near turn 4 exit this time.

I really want to see Jeff Gordon win a race in person. I've seen him finish 2nd twice and lead a bunch of laps but I need to see him win at least once before he retires.

As with every MIS Cup race, I will be there. I've decided to sit near turn 4 exit this time.

I really want to see Jeff Gordon win a race in person. I've seen him finish 2nd twice and lead a bunch of laps but I need to see him win at least once before he retires.
Too bad you have to sit through another Earnhardt Jr. win there this coming Sunday. It's good that you go to all of them though. Maybe you'll get your chance to see Gordon win there next year? ;)

Too bad you have to sit through another Earnhardt Jr. win there this coming Sunday. It's good that you go to all of them though. Maybe you'll get your chance to see Gordon win there next year? ;)
:D

Maybe be it will be a reversal of Pocono where Jr has a great car but Jeff snags a win on strategy.

just make sure you adhere to goodyears minimums...;)

cheer up

We heal by continuing to enjoy what we love.
The drivers need to do what they love-DRIVING.

I always thought rules were meant to test through experience with both ends of the spectrum and learning the curve of limitations?........:idunno:

Under the circumstances, Tony is doing what is best for all involved by sitting out again this week.

Not trying to turn this into another Stewart thread.

I think he should sit out the rest of the year. From racing altogether to get this situation handled not only from a mental standpoint, but his own physical health to allow himself to be ready for next year. Keep on working to get things tied up at SHR and sponsors.

Tony is one of the faces of the sport, I just hate this to see this happen to him. Get some time and rest out of racing for a bit until everything is settled.

Best wishes to Jeff and replacing Tony this week. He will be solid.

I'm looking forward to the nationwide race at mid ohio way more. Good thing if the cup race is a snoozer is that indycar is racing at Milwaukee
You got company with that thinking, Mid Ohio last year was the race of the weekend to watch. I don't see how it can be any different this year, tight points race and I am sure there are plenty of drivers that think they can gain a points advantage on a road course..

Back
Top Bottom