2014 Silly Season Thread

SlicedBread22

#TeamJL
I think it's about time we all start prematurely discussing the possibilities.

The main talk in this topic right now is that Carl Edwards' and Greg Biffle's contracts are both up at the same time.

I'm no sure I see Biffle going anywhere, but I would have said the same thing about Kenseth a few years ago.. and from what he said its looks like he's weighing his options.

“That’s my focus and ultimately, I’ve got options. This isn’t the only place, you know. I’m gonna have a job.”

As far as Carl Edwards, well I think he's just been waiting for a good opportunity. With Penske seemingly taking over as the top Ford team I would think he's not as confident as he would have been before in that Roush can bring him a cup.

I think the main question is... Where would they go?

JGR 4th team? I recall Joe Gibbs saying they were planning on putting Joey in NNS full time with some cup starts and working toward creating a fourth team. Could that be in the works?

Carl seems like a Ford man so maybe he brings his fantastic salesmanship and marketability to the Penske brand? I could see Carl Edwards being able to bring his sponsors with him anywhere he wants. He's a sponsors dream in race advertising and if he can start to win more often Subway will probably start selling $3 foot longs lol. MWR only dropped Truex due to sponsorship issues so Carl could be a good fit over there.

Then there's also the question of who would replace them if they leave?

So much to speculate.. Yaay! Lol :D

Not to mention... who else is up this season?

Who could replace them is a big question. I can't think of any drivers that would be an improvement from Carl and Biffle that's in a contract year maybe
Danica will be in a Roush car next year:captive:

Who could replace them is a big question. I can't think of any drivers that would be an improvement from Carl and Biffle that's in a contract year maybe
This has a look of Roush fielding a few up and comers for a little while. I could see Trevor Bayne coming up but who knows..

It would be about time. Already would be weird enough seeing Trevor going for Rookie of the Year four years after winning the Daytona 500.

why? he drives like a rookie every race he's in.

Chris Buescher

Like the 2011 Daytona 500? :rolleyes:

just starting that race and you have a chance to win it. if you picked 5 drivers at each track, who you think will contend for the win, would he ever make that list.

This is a crucial year for RFR, with Biffle and Edwards both up for new contracts. If they lose both, then they will quickly become an afterthought in the NASCAR landscape. They desperately need to retain at least one of them IMO.

Trevor Bayne is an obvious candidate, and maybe they'd look for a stop gap like a Regan Smith or Elliot Sadler type. Just saw a story on Jayski that says RFR has released their lead engineer Chip Bolin, so it looks like heads are starting to roll over there.

Roush would do well going for a younger more Marketable driver than Greg Biffle.

Greg Biffle is the oldest active driver. Im not sure theres too many places for him to go.
Yeah, Biff will be 45 later this year. Sometimes an older driver can land a good ride, like Mark Martin did at Hendrick a few years back, but it's rare.

Maybe he can drive that 3rd Penske car from the other thread until Ryan Blaney is ready to go? ;)

If Penske really wants to expand to a 3 car team, he'd be wise to put some effort into picking up Edwards. Look what Kenseth, Harvick, and Logano did with a new team? Hell, even Kahne went out and earned a few wins with his switch to HMS. Kurt even got himself a W in SHR.

It's WAY too early to discuss Silly Season. To do so now would just be...well, silly.
We already have enough speculative threads as it is.
JMO.
I was gunna say it... but I held my tongue :eek:

Sliced just felt attention deprived and went thread whoring :D

It's WAY too early to discuss Silly Season. To do so now would just be...well, silly.
We already have enough speculative threads as it is.
JMO.
That's why I said prematurely discussing silly season. Im completely aware its way too early... but it gives us something to talk about for the next 6 months lol :D

The silly season rumours have already started flying... so imo its the perfect time to throw this thread up early :)

So when is a good time in your opinions? Once all the contracts are signed and the announcements made? lol

This IS silly season.... its not supposed to be about whats really going to happen.... its supposed to be all speculation and rumours.... that's why its silly :D

I could see that.
They hired a 53-year old Mark Martin, why not a 45-year old Biffle? I'd like to see this happen.
3M is about as close to full-time as you see in NASCAR these days, and everything that's been reported says 3M wants to remain with Biffle wherever he goes. RFR and MWR both could use the money (especially RFR); I'd say it'll be pretty close between those two.

This is a crucial year for RFR, with Biffle and Edwards both up for new contracts. If they lose both, then they will quickly become an afterthought in the NASCAR landscape. They desperately need to retain at least one of them IMO.

Trevor Bayne is an obvious candidate, and maybe they'd look for a stop gap like a Regan Smith or Elliot Sadler type. Just saw a story on Jayski that says RFR has released their lead engineer Chip Bolin, so it looks like heads are starting to roll over there.
I think you're right .

Biff to MWR. Jack reduces to a two car team with Danica's Boyfriend and Carl.

They hired a 53-year old Mark Martin, why not a 45-year old Biffle? I'd like to see this happen.
Biffle is 45? Holy hell i didn't know he was that old lol.

I'd like to see Carl with penske next, that would be his best chance to win a championship.

Biffle is 45? Holy hell i didn't know he was that old lol.

I'd like to see Carl with penske next, that would be his best chance to win a championship.
Biffle won't be 45 until December, but I didn't realize he was the oldest active full time driver now.

As for Carl at Penske, he's got a pretty bad history with Keselowski. Not sure how that would come in to play.

As for Carl at Penske, he's got a pretty bad history with Keselowski. Not sure how that would come in to play.
They're grown men, they can handle it. Besides, you don't really know someone until you work with them. Stewart & Kurt Busch seem to have figured things out.

They're grown men, they can handle it. Besides, you don't really know someone until you work with them. Stewart & Kurt Busch seem to have figured things out.
Possibly. I know this feud was a long time ago, but it was very intense while it was going on. To me, this would be similar to Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer becoming teammates.

this would be similar to Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer becoming teammates.
Eh. Brad and team didn't come running fists-a-blazing when Carl flipped him on purpose. They're fight didn't have championship implications either. Plus the Bowyer/Gordon feud would be just as dead as the Edwards/Keselowski if Bowyer's spin at Richmond didn't involve knocking Gordon out of the chase and his spin at California brought the caution out that cost Gordon the win. All coinicidence that kept fueling a dead fight.

I think Biffle's and Edwards' veiled comments suggest that both of them see the potential in moving on to greener pastures. Considering what guys like Kenseth and Harvick have been able to do with new teams, it's clear that moving on is an option that both would strongly consider.

I just can't understand how Jack, after losing Kenseth last year would let his only 2 proven winning drivers both enter the final year of their deals with no extension in place for either. So here we are 1/3 of the way through the season and RFR faces the possibility of going into next year with Stenhouse being their marquee driver, with his 6 top 10's and 50 or so races of experience.

Back
Top Bottom