2014 Silly Season Thread

from jayski:

UPDATE: Biffle and his primary sponsor, 3M, will remain with Roush Fenway Racing, multiple sources have confirmed to the Charlotte Observer. An official announcement of contract extensions for Biffle and the sponsor with RFR could come as soon as this coming week, sources said.A team spokesman said the organization would continue its policy of not commenting on drivers' contract status until an official announcement was made.(Charlotte Observer)(6-9-2014)

Allgaier to the 78 is definitely a possibility... but not this offseason. IMO.

When Allgaier 51 experiment is over he career in Cup will be over. My guess on the 78 is they will merge with RCR and become Richard Childress Racing w/Furniture Row, or something like that. Their name will stay on the car, but the number will change to either 31 or 33 and Ty will be in the car.

When Allgaier 51 experiment is over he career in Cup will be over. My guess on the 78 is they will merge with RCR and become Richard Childress Racing w/Furniture Row, or something like that. Their name will stay on the car, but the number will change to either 31 or 33 and Ty will be in the car.
Maybe but I think simply my opinion. In 2016 Ty will take over the 31 and Newman will move to the 78 while Truex will go to ???

Jenna fryer said she thought Edwards wasn't allowed to take his sponsorship with him due to the way the RFR contract was setup. If he can take it, the move should be a no brainer for all involved.

Everyone is talking Penske and Joe Gibbs for Carl. If Penske is saying no go, then if Carl wants to stay with Ford he needs to work something out with Roush. I doubt that happens. So that just leaves JGR, or does it? Technically Chip has an open ride, unless he resigns Jamie. Carl another big name driver wanting to get behind a Hendrick engine? Or even MWR could make a run at Carl. Should be an interesting few months.

I'll just say this, if Chip goes after and land Carl, he will have a damn good team with Carl and Kyle Larson.

Everyone is talking Penske and Joe Gibbs for Carl. If Penske is saying no go, then if Carl wants to stay with Ford he needs to work something out with Roush. I doubt that happens. So that just leaves JGR, or does it? Technically Chip has an open ride, unless he resigns Jamie. Carl another big name driver wanting to get behind a Hendrick engine? Or even MWR could make a run at Carl. Should be an interesting few months.

I'll just say this, if Chip goes after and land Carl, he will have a damn good team with Carl and Kyle Larson.
If Ford was smart Jamie Allison would get his ass in gear and throw a ton of money at Chip and let RPM switch manufacturers. It work in the Grand am series.

If Ford was smart Jamie Allison would get his ass in gear and throw a ton of money at Chip and let RPM switch manufacturers. It work in the Grand am series.

I know you are a Ford guy, but Chip would be stupid to go to Ford. Unless you are named Penske you won't be too competitive. IMHO of course.

I know you are a Ford guy, but Chip would be stupid to go to Ford. Unless you are named Penske you won't be too competitive. IMHO of course.
There is no reason they wouldn't be as competitive as they are now. There is no engine issue as far as being competitive. The reason why Roush is behind is in the engineering/people/chassis.

There is no reason they wouldn't be as competitive as they are now. There is no engine issue as far as being competitive. The reason why Roush is behind is in the engineering/people/chassis.

Right something Penske has an abundance of that other Ford teams don't. Unless Ganassi aligns himself with Penske, which I don't see happening, I don't think he'd be more competitive in a Ford than he is now. He is running Hendrick engines with access to Hendrick engineers and resources. Roush Yates Engines are good, but unless he can have access to what Penske has access to it wouldn't be a step up.

Right something Penske has an abundance of that other Ford teams don't. Unless Ganassi aligns himself with Penske, which I don't see happening, I don't think he'd be more competitive in a Ford than he is now. He is running Hendrick engines with access to Hendrick engineers and resources. Roush Yates Engines are good, but unless he can have access to what Penske has access to it wouldn't be a step up.
True I don't see them improving either but it would be in Fords best interest. Money talks and it did in the grand am series for them.

I agree with this, Ganassi took a step up by deciding to move on from ECR engines and going with HMS power. Judging by who was running up front at Pocono and who was making passes on the straights, it's pretty clear that HMS have the most horses under the hood right now. RY engines are probably the 2nd best but Team Penske's advantages seem to be in the handling/chassis area. IMO, if Ganassi was trying to take another step up, the best way to do it would be to even closer align themselves with HMS a la SHR and bring in an elite driver to replace Jamie Mac. I think he's performed admirably but he's always going to be in that 2nd or 3rd tier of drivers. If they could go out and land Carl that would be a move they should make, I just don't expect it will happen.

what goes out first, Kasey's ride at Hendrick, or Jeff's back

True I don't see them improving either but it would be in Fords best interest. Money talks and it did in the grand am series for them.

I think it's in Ford's best interest to do whatever it takes to keep Carl in a Ford, wether it be at Roush or Penske. Lets just say Carl does leave, that would leave Ford with only Kez or Logano as its only real hopes at a title. Biffle would be top dog at Roush and while he's a solid driver, I don't think he'll be completing his "triple crown" of championships. Then who's left at Ford? Stenhouse,Bayne,Ambrose,Almirola. Not exactly a powerhouse lineup of drivers. They need to step up (again) and keep Carl in a blue oval, if they want to remain competitive across the board with Chevy and Toyota.

i would rather have Kasey on my team than Carl...i figure i'm looking at the same amount of wins with either, i just think Kasey would make a better teammate.

pudge said:
i would rather have Kasey on my team than Carl...i figure i'm looking at the same amount of wins with either, i just think Kasey would make a better teammate.

Chase Elliott in my opinion is not on the path to driving the 5 car next year or 2016. Jeff Gordon will retire after the 2015 season allowing 2 time defending Nationwide Series Champion Chase Elliott to move into the renumbered #9 (if a deal is worked out with RPM for the number, since that isn't a Petty number it goes back to Evernham), or #94 NAPA Chevy. With teammates Kasey Kahne, Dale Jr, and JJ.

I'm projecting the future.

since that isn't a Petty number it goes back to Evernham)
Petty owns the rights to the number now, if he gives it up, it would go to the first team to apply for it, with nascar approval of course. but as long as Petty pays his dues for the number it's his to run or not, just as Richard Childress done with the #3 until this season. nothing to do with Evernham anymore

Petty owns the rights to the number now, if he gives it up, it would go to the first team to apply for it, with nascar approval of course. but as long as Petty pays his dues for the number it's his to run or not, just as Richard Childress done with the #3 until this season. nothing to do with Everham anymore
I meant 9 isn't traditionally thought of as a Petty number like 43 is they only have it because of the merger.

ok....Evernham threw me off, since he's just someone who works at HMS.

I've been following pro racing since the mid 70s. I can't recall Roger Penske ever lying.
Did I say the word lying, in that post????....No Does Roger lay low low out of the drama typically????....yes

I guess we can rule out Biffle to MWR.

Brett (Moffitt) has been doing quite a bit of testing for us in various forms. We’ve seen a lot of progress in him -- he was very successful for us when he drove for us in the K&N Series and even then we always felt that he should be the next driver to get the opportunity to go to the Truck Series, the Nationwide Series, but unfortunately MWR doesn’t own a Nationwide team or a Truck Series team so an opportunity came available to run him in the Cup car at Dover with our relationship with Jay Robinson Racing. Brett was as good as we thought he was going to be and very, very impressive. We decided to bring him up here (Michigan) and run with a full MWR effort and just kind of see where he goes. In the meantime, we’ve decided to go ahead and put him under contract with a multi-year driver contract to try to advance his career and try to see if we can give him some opportunities to showcase his talent.

http://www.michaelwaltrip.com/news?n_id=337

Moffitt impressed me at Dover,ran clean all day.

Back
Top Bottom