Daytona Qualifying

J

John_Langrell

I'll be at the track on 7/1 for qualifying. Question: What will be the format for the Infinity and Sprint Cup qualifying?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

3 rounds of single lap qualifying.

NASCAR's found a way to take two terrible things and merge them into one very terrible thing. Impressive.

If they're gonna do single car qualifying at a few races, why not just go back to time trials for those events?

Indy 500 Time Trials were way more entertaining than this knockout qualifying crap.

I'll be at the track on 7/1 for qualifying. Question: What will be the format for the Infinity and Sprint Cup qualifying?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
from jayski.....

2016 Superspeedway Events Qualifying Format: (not Daytona 500)

a) Qualifying for all Superspeedway Events will consist of two scheduled Qualifying rounds.

b) Superspeedway Qualifying consists of one timed lap in each round (EIRI). In all rounds, NEM reserves the right to have more than one vehicle engage in Qualifying runs at the same time.

c) Vehicles will be lined up and released for the first Qualifying round in the order of their respective fastest single lap speed posted in the combined Practice session(s), in ascending order (slowest to fastest).

d) A team representative must be present at the Qualifying vehicle release point when their Designated Vehicle is released for a Qualifying attempt. That team representative must scan race control and have direct radio communications with the driver during a Qualifying attempt.

e) Unless otherwise authorized by the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Managing Director, adjustments or repairs may not be made to the Designated Vehicle after the vehicle has taken the green flag at the start/finish line.

f) Any Designated Vehicle or driver not ready to compete within five (5) minutes of the time called onto the track may be sent to the rear of the line, repositioned within the order of the Qualifying round, or left out of the remainder of the Qualifying round, at the discretion of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Managing Director.

g) Throughout Superspeedway Event Qualifying, each Designated Vehicle will be released in a predetermined timed interval as determined by the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Managing Director.

h) Upon the completion of each Qualifying lap, NEM will impound each Designated Vehicle.

i) Upon completion of the first Qualifying round, eligibility for the forty (40) NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starting grid positions will be determined. Each Charter Team will be eligible for one of the available forty (40) starting grid positions. Open Teams will be eligible for the next available starting grid positions based on the fastest single lap speed posted to each Open Team's Designated Vehicle in the first Qualifying round.

j) The twelve (12) eligible Designated Vehicles that post the fastest single lap speed from the first Qualifying round will advance to the final Qualifying round.

k) The remaining eligible Designated Vehicles will be assigned starting grid positions 13th - 40th based on their fastest single lap speed posted in the first Qualifying round in descending order.

l) There will be a ten-minute break after the completion of the first Qualifying round and the twelve (12) remaining Designated Vehicles that advance to the final Qualifying round will have their previously posted speed reset.

m) Designated Vehicles will be released for final Qualifying round in the order of their fastest single lap speed posted in the first Qualifying round, in ascending order (slowest to fastest).

n) The final Qualifying round consists of one timed lap (EIRI). The Designated Vehicle's fastest single lap speed posted in the final Qualifying round will be used to assign starting grid positions 1st- 12th in descending order.

NASCAR's found a way to take two terrible things and merge them into one very terrible thing. Impressive.

If they're gonna do single car qualifying at a few races, why not just go back to time trials for those events?

Indy 500 Time Trials were way more entertaining than this knockout qualifying crap.

Thank you! Could not agree more!

The knock-out qualifying at non-plate tracks is a great improvement, IMO. It is actually interesting to watch, as well as a valid way of deciding the grid.

Reactions: Acs
The knock-out qualifying at non-plate tracks is a great improvement, IMO. It is actually interesting to watch, as well as a valid way of deciding the grid.

I'm not a fan.

I would say they might as well run heat races, but NASCAR even managed to find a way to mess that up in XFINITY.

They need to just go back to one round of single lap everywhere. Who cares about exciting to watch, that's for raceday. Put the pressure back on these driver's and crews to turn out one fast lap.

They need to just go back to one round of single lap everywhere. Who cares about exciting to watch, that's for raceday. Put the pressure back on these driver's and crews to turn out one fast lap.

I don't even think knockout qualifying is fun to watch. They know they only get about two good laps so they wait to go out.

I like the pressure to lay down three fast laps. As for something worthwhile to watch... if you just watch on Sunday, why do you care what they do on Friday?

I like 3 rounds just because it brings in elements of strategy and the knockout aspect leads to more drama. For example, the drivers need to manage tire wear just like they do in the race. If a team is on the bubble but in towards the end of a round the CC has to make a difficult call whether to go out again and try to improve to stay above the cutoff at the cost of more tire wear and worse lap times in the next rounds. Nobody cares if you go out and set a top time in round 1 but use up all your car to do it, just like on Sunday.

I like the pressure to lay down three fast laps. As for something worthwhile to watch... if you just watch on Sunday, why do you care what they do on Friday?
I personally care because it's interesting to me regardless, I'm just speaking in general regarding the whole "make it more exciting" approach that NASCAR seemed to have in mind when creating it.

Back
Top Bottom