2015 Charlotte Media Tour

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The Charlotte Media Tour starts today. For anyone interested, here's the schedule. It'll begin with Brian France's State of the Sport @ 1:30 today. Maybe there's still a chance that he'll announce that they've abolished the Chase? No, probably not.

If you're a fan of any particular organization, here is when they are scheduled to speak.

Monday, Jan. 26

1:30 p.m. ET: State of the Sport with NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France | WATCH LIVE

4 p.m. ET: Joe Gibbs Racing | WATCH LIVE

Tuesday, Jan. 27

9 a.m. ET: Michael Waltrip Racing | WATCH LIVE

11 a.m. ET: JTG Daugherty Racing and HScott Motorsports | WATCH LIVE

1 p.m. ET: Stewart-Haas Racing | WATCH LIVE

3:15 p.m. ET: NBC Sports | WATCH LIVE

Wednesday, Jan. 28

9 a.m. ET: Roush Fenway Racing | WATCH LIVE

11 a.m. ET: Richard Petty Motorsports | WATCH LIVE

1:30 p.m. ET: Wood Brothers Racing and Leavine Family Racing | WATCH LIVE

3:15 p.m. ET: Team Penske | WATCH LIVE

Thursday, Jan. 29

9 a.m. ET: Furniture Row Racing | WATCH LIVE

10:30 a.m. ET: Richard Childress Racing | WATCH LIVE

1 p.m. ET: Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates | WATCH LIVE

3 p.m. ET: Hendrick Motorsports | WATCH LIVE

from @nascarcasm

B8SClkNCEAE9Y9z.jpg:large

Five bucks says that Hendrick's is going to be mostly about Jeff Gordon's Farewell Season.

I'm curious to see if Brian announces some sort of tweak to the Chase again this year. It's not out of the realm of possibility. I think that the current format was announced last January just before the start of the season. Brain doesn't seem to be able to go a year without change so I think we'll see something.

I'm curious to see if Brian announces some sort of tweak to the Chase again this year. It's not out of the realm of possibility. I think that the current format was announced last January just before the start of the season. Brain doesn't seem to be able to go a year without change so I think we'll see something.

" Must have a win to advance to the final 4"

" Must have a win to advance to the final 4"
Somewhat along this line of thinking..... I heard an interview with Dale Jarrett in the later stages of last season's Chase. He said that he felt that if a driver made it into that last round of four drivers not having won a race, that he should have to win that final race to be considered Champion. He didn't like the idea of a winless Champion either.

"I'll just go ahead & make Jeff Gordon the 2015 Champion." ~ Brian France. :D

@CandiceSpencer Nice reminder by @odsteve while discussing air Titan - #NASCAR will "tackle the road courses in the rain if we need to"

@MartySmithESPN

France on Chase: It’s overwhelmingly popular with our most important stakeholder — our fans. Data determines that loud & clear.

@MartySmithESPN

France: Fans strongly suggested to make no Chase changes, and we’re not going to.

@JennaFryer

France says important to keep "the simplicity" of the Chase. "Win and you get in. Beat the other 3 drivers and you win the championship"

@nateryan

Major takeaways from #nascar Media Tour stop: 1) Flaring side skirts during race now illegal; 2) No changes to Chase; 3) 2016 rules by May.

@jeff_gluck

Quite a difference from NASCAR's Media Tour stop last year, when EVERYTHING was changed. This year: No changes.

Well at least Brian France is willing to let things sit and settle for a year. So that's good. :)

@MartySmithESPN

France on Chase: It’s overwhelmingly popular with our most important stakeholder — our fans. Data determines that loud & clear
Would love to see where data reported to him originates. Last I heard, ratings and fan attendance is still dropping.

Would love to see where data reported to him originates. Last I heard, ratings and fan attendance is still dropping.

Here's what I want to know, how many people are actually not watching NASCAR, but still watching other sports like the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, etc. How many people are cord cutters like myself, who decided that paying $100+ a month for sports channel just to watch one or two games/race a week wasn't worth it, and are now relying on illegal streams. But they still watch NASCAR. I mean, are we sure that the ratings are dropping because fans don't like The Chase, or is it that cable is becoming more and more expensive and with the rate that the Internet is growing, more and more people are getting rid of cable?

Until he changes his mind in a coupla month's.

There may be some changes to the rules when one of the teams find a gray area, but I doubt he's going to overhaul the entire points system.

Here's what I want to know, how many people are actually not watching NASCAR, but still watching other sports like the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, etc. How many people are cord cutters like myself, who decided that paying $100+ a month for sports channel just to watch one or two games/race a week wasn't worth it, and are now relying on illegal streams. But they still watch NASCAR. I mean, are we sure that the ratings are dropping because fans don't like The Chase, or is it that cable is becoming more and more expensive and with the rate that the Internet is growing, more and more people are getting rid of cable?

This is a fair point. NASCAR is the only professional sport in America where the championship is on cable. The NBA Finals are on ABC. The Stanley Cup Finals are on NBC. The World Series is on FOX. The Super Bowl is on NBC. NASCAR was on ESPN. I think we'll see ratings improve with NBC airing half the Chase races on broadcast.

I said last year that I thought NASCAR should have waited until this year (2015) to implement the new Chase. Kind of sucked that it debuted on ESPN on cable which significantly reduced NASCAR coverage. Would have liked to see the Chase debut on broadcast on NBC, not on cable.

Cause for celebration. o_O

Season ended on a high note with a ratings increase in each of the final three races and a lot of buzz generated from the Chase, the fights and a first-time champion. I'll celebrate that. I'll ignore the pessimism from people who want the sport to fail and can't see the positives in anything. :)

@dpkimmel2001 Am I really the voice of reason again? :confused::eek:

Season ended on a high note with a ratings increase in each of the final three races and a lot of buzz generated from the Chase, the fights and a first-time champion. I'll celebrate that. I'll ignore the pessimism from people who want the sport to fail and can't see the positives in anything. :)

I appreciate the ending on a higher note than 2013, but I cant just ignore the other 24 races. It's obviously where the majority of work needs to be done. And in my opinion, having the majority of the season not matter as much as the final 10 races is not the way to fix ratings and attendance for the "regular season" races.

And how in the world does noticing worse ratings equate to wanting the sport to fail and being a complete pessimist? You yourself made it a point to say you were open minded and called out others that weren't, but you aren't open to noticing the huge fall out for the majority of the season.

Last edited:
I appreciate the ending on a higher note than 2013, but I cant just ignore the other 24 races. It's obviously where the majority of work needs to be done. And in my opinion, having the majority of the season not matter as much as the final 10 races is not the way to fix ratings and attendance for the "regular season" races.

And how in the world does noticing worse ratings equate to wanting the sport to fail and being a complete pessimist? You yourself made it a point to say you were open minded and called out others that weren't, but you aren't open to noticing the huge fall out for the majority of the season.

$4.4 billion. That's what NBC paid for NASCAR. Maybe you should've let them borrow your gloom and doom glasses before they wasted their money. :sarcasm:

$4.4 billion. That's what NBC paid for NASCAR. Maybe you should've let them borrow your gloom and doom glasses before they wasted their money. :sarcasm:
The station that is notoriously known as "nothing but commercials" for sporting events - and everyone here know's your admiration for commercials.

Every college football game Ive been to, you can hear a groan from the stadium every f*ckin time that bastard with a red NBC cap steps on the field signaling a TV timeout.

I used to be into the ratings but pretty much got away from it. For a few reasons...

One, They don't affect me in any way. The ratings in my house for NASCAR are @ 100% and still holding strong.

Two, Everything that I ever read on sports television ratings show that they are declining across the board. Hell, I think Monday Night Football just suffered their lowest ratings this past season. It's not just NASCAR.

Three, The people that are most concerned about ratings, FOX and NBC, signed long term, Billion $ contracts to carry the sport. They've shown that they are committed to the sport.

While others on here are counting empty seats, looking up ratings on Monday's and bitching about the on air talent, I'm just sitting back watching some great racing. Life is good. :cool:

@MartySmithESPN

France on Chase: It’s overwhelmingly popular with our most important stakeholder — our fans. Data determines that loud & clear.

@MartySmithESPN

France: Fans strongly suggested to make no Chase changes, and we’re not going to.

I wonder which fans he's talking to?

Back
Top Bottom