Is Kyle Busch Ruining NASCAR?

Tumbleweed

Team Owner
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Only 50,000 attendance at Indy? Yikes.

There are other threads open right now about the race in Indy and Toyota dominance but this article is another take on things. I know that I have stopped watching Infinity races because they are almost always just Kyle Busch leading a line of cars around the track. NASCAR doesn't seem either willing or able to fix this problem.

As far as Cup goes, NASCAR has been through this before, for example in the 1990's when Jeff Gordon was winning everything in sight. Then it was Jimmy Johnson. Now it's Kyle Busch, who may ultimately surpass both of them. I think there is a chance that with his driving skills and if he matures more, he could become one of the best NASCAR drivers ever.

Last edited:
No more than Lewis Hamilton and Nico are ruining F1 (even tho I've always found it to be a snooze fest) - and Kyle doesn't win anywhere near as often as those two.

I can't see Kyle getting close to Gordon in the win column. He'd have to have a pretty incredible per year average to get there and there's a ton of good young drivers right now that he'll be sharing wins with. Not to mention the incoming talent like Jones, etc.

Loy Allen was planning to roon NASCAR but he couldn't get a decent ride.

Monte Dutton ... another guy who needed to file a story for Monday morning.

Cup series is all about being the best of the best and Kyle Busch happens to be the best of the best right now.

Kyle has had a big hand in destroying the xfinity series but it's not all his fault. Edwards used to dominate the Busch series, then Kyle, keselowski, Harvick, all of those guys ruined it. There needs to be a limit on how many starts cup drivers get a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cup series is all about being the best of the best and Kyle Busch happens to be the best of the best right now.

Kyle has had a big hand in destroying the xfinity series but it's not all his fault. Edwards used to dominate the Busch series, then Kyle, keselowski, Harvick, all of those guys ruined it. There needs to be a limit on how many starts cup drivers get a year.

Before that, Mark Martin was solely responsible for ruining the Busch Series?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

There are other threads open right now about the race in Indy and Toyota dominance but this article is another take on things. I know that I have stopped watching Infinity races because they are almost always just Kyle Busch leading a line of cars around the track. NASCAR doesn't seem either willing or able to fix this problem.

As far as Cup goes, NASCAR has been through this before, for example in the 1990's when Jeff Gordon was winning everything in sight. Then it was Jimmy Johnson. Now it's Kyle Busch, who may ultimately surpass both of them. I think there is a chance that with his driving skills and if he matures more, he could become one of the best NASCAR drivers ever.

Kyle Bush has 4 wins and he is the second driver to get 4. He is NOT any where close to being dominate in Cup.

The problem is everyone is buying into the combination of Xfinity added to Cup to make him look great. When Kyle gets to 8-10 cup wins a season, then lets talk about domination.
Right now he also has a good run of DNFs to go with the wins.

The same whiners that whine about the cup guys in the lower series would be in here whining if they weren't there. The difference would be they'd be saying something like "I don't know anyone in that series" or "<so and so> wins every week so I stopped watching". There are currently very few truck races where cup drivers race. How many of your watch those races now? Why not? It's certainly not because Kyle is winning all of those races.

ANYtime a driver is dominating in NASCAR and it's not a particular fan's driver, the whining starts. It happened when Gordon was dominating, Bill Elliott, Jimmie and when Chase Elliott starts dominating, he will be what's ruining NASCAR I am sure.

NASCAR is not as popular because the older fans die or just have other things going on on the weekend. New fans are not coming in because NASCAR is and has always been something that most fans grew up with. They went to the racetrack with their parents and thus became fans. That doesn't happen as much because there aren't as many local tracks and times are just different. People don't spend as much family time as they did in the 70's and 80's. KIds and parents have so many other options for entertainment that doesn't require leaving the house. Why would they spend a bunch of money to sit out in the heat with a bunch of drunks and then fight their way out of the parking lot with said drunks while suffering third degree sun burns? I don't and I am a fan. Most non-fans consider racing to be "cars going around in circles." So if anything has "ruined NASCAR", it's the rest of the options available today and progression of society.

Football, baseball and other sports have survived because they are sports that people attend in school and the parents still enroll their kids in. So kids grow up being exposed/playing these games and thus continue to follow them later.

Kyle Bush has 4 wins and he is the second driver to get 4. He is NOT any where close to being dominate in Cup.

The problem is everyone is buying into the combination of Xfinity added to Cup to make him look great. When Kyle gets to 8-10 cup wins a season, then lets talk about domination.
Right now he also has a good run of DNFs to go with the wins.
Kyle is 2nd in laps led, on the season. 2nd only to the Toyota of Truex.

Before that, Mark Martin was solely responsible for ruining the Busch Series?

To be 100% honest martins domination was before my time. I'm only 21 and really remember from 2000 on as far as racing. I remember him winning a few, but not every weekend.

As for the guy who just asked to watches every truck race though we don't know the drivers. I try to watch every one that I can. There's a lot of awesome young talent that is showcased every weekend. JH Nemecheck is my man in the trucks. Kid can flat wheel that unsponsored truck around the race track n

To be 100% honest martins domination was before my time. I'm only 21 and really remember from 2000 on as far as racing. I remember him winning a few, but not every weekend.

As for the guy who just asked to watches every truck race though we don't know the drivers. I try to watch every one that I can. There's a lot of awesome young talent that is showcased every weekend. JH Nemecheck is my man in the trucks. Kid can flat wheel that unsponsored truck around the race track n
:cheers:

Things like the lucky dog, the awful boxes they race, phantom cautions, a lottery championship, the 3 stooges in the NBC booth who are an insult to ears with fake excitement, plus incessant talk about cut lines, "Nascar's Playoffs", Overtime and where drivers are in relation to the chase at the moment. The crew chiefs have very little latitude in setting up a car and changing a Ford to a Toyota to a Hyundai requires not much more than a hair dryer to remove the decals. Speaking of decals these ****boxes they run have exhaust port decals!

Soulless tracks, boring drivers from New Jersey, California and other places that are not in the south, commitment cones, freezing the field, double wreck restarts, qualifying where the fastest car may not get the pole, caution clocks, heat races without meaning and on and on and on. Those are the things that have ruined Nascar.

There is no way in hell there were 50K at the track yesterday as I doubt the crowd was much over 40K.

Mark held the record for wins in the Busch / Nationwide Xfinity series until Kyle past him. Once he moved up to Cup permanently, he often ran about half the Busch schedule through the '90s. From '92 through '00, he entered 115 races and won 38, roughly 1 in 3. While that isn't as dominating as Kyle is now, the Busch series back then was more competitive. There were plenty of full-time drivers specializing in that series, capable of winning the championship themselves even if the Cup drivers were scoring Busch points. Mark had to work against stronger competition than Kyle does (in my opinion), but Busch regulars still didn't want to see that black #60 Winn-Dixie hauler pull in.

Things like the lucky dog, the awful boxes they race, phantom cautions, a lottery championship, the 3 stooges in the NBC booth who are an insult to ears with fake excitement, plus incessant talk about cut lines, "Nascar's Playoffs", Overtime and where drivers are in relation to the chase at the moment. The crew chiefs have very little latitude in setting up a car and changing a Ford to a Toyota to a Hyundai requires not much more than a hair dryer to remove the decals. Speaking of decals these ****boxes they run have exhaust port decals!

Soulless tracks, boring drivers from New Jersey, California and other places that are not in the south, commitment cones, freezing the field, double wreck restarts, qualifying where the fastest car may not get the pole, caution clocks, heat races without meaning and on and on and on. Those are the things that have ruined Nascar.

There is no way in hell there were 50K at the track yesterday as I doubt the crowd was much over 40K.

It's amazing to me that "journalists" can dream this kind of crap up and ignore every point you just made. Oh well, what can you do?

Mark held the record for wins in the Busch / Nationwide Xfinity series until Kyle past him. Once he moved up to Cup permanently, he often ran about half the Busch schedule through the '90s. From '92 through '00, he entered 115 races and won 38, roughly 1 in 3. While that isn't as dominating as Kyle is now, the Busch series back then was more competitive. There were plenty of full-time drivers specializing in that series, capable of winning the championship themselves even if the Cup drivers were scoring Busch points. Mark had to work against stronger competition than Kyle does (in my opinion), but Busch regulars still didn't want to see that black #60 Winn-Dixie hauler pull in.

Three to four years ago you had Logano/Keselowski/Edwards/Earnhardt Jr/Harvick running just as much or almost as much Nationwide/Xfinity as Kyle. That competition was much tougher than mark faced back in the day.

The right personalities are important.

Nascar only needs to look at the world of competitive eating and the setback they encounterd after they betrayed
Kobayashi. The most graceful and charismatic superstar the sport has known.
After the betrayel many corporate sponsors left and closed the doors and veiwership declined too.
A lot with no hospitality suites and only old hot dog debri filled port a johns is as devasting as a Brian France speech.

Kobayashi's record of 69 dogs in 10 minutes still remains most impressive. Can't trust the crowd that ****ted Kobayashi out of the dream. They probably put extra grease on Chestnuts dogs to superficially get the 70 number, thinking the glory would return. But the crowd knows when something perfect becomes crippled by poor stewardship.

Nascar needs to learn a lesson from those tragic mistakes before it is all eternally to late.

Nascar only needs to look at the world of competitive eating and the setback they encounterd after they betrayed
After the betrayel many corporate sponsors left and closed the doors and veiwership declined too.
A lot with no hospitality suites and only old hot dog debri filled port a johns is as devasting as a Brian France speech.

Kobayashi's record of 69 dogs in 10 minutes still remains most impressive. Can't trust the crowd that ****ted Kobayashi out of the dream. They probably put extra grease on Chestnuts dogs to superficially get the 70 number, thinking the glory would return. But the crowd knows when something perfect becomes crippled by poor stewardship.

Nascar needs to learn a lesson from those tragic mistakes before it is all eternally to late.
Wow :XXROFL:
That was awesome.

yup. just like petty, Earnhardt, Gordon, etc.

consider the source: the bleacher report. revenue based on hits generated. the national inquirer philosophy. doesn't have to be true/credible. just sell enough to cover the out of court settlements to the lawsuits generated.

Harvick is the first one I remember running for a BGN championship while running full time Cup. I'm talking about 2006, not 2001 when he planned before the season to run for the BGN title then got Earnhardt's ride when he passed. I think that kind of got the ball rolling on some of these Cup guys running as many Buschfinitywide races as possible. Kyle is one of the only ones still doing it, a lot of them backed off once Cup guys could no longer run for NW titles starting in 2011.

Darrell Waltrip didn't
Dale Earnhardt didn't
Jeff Gordon didn't
Jimmie Johnson didn't
If they didn't, Kyle isn't.

Xfinity series? Maybe, but he is contributing to the series by bringing up some young talent. Maybe that's more Gibbs, I don't know.

I despise Kyle, more than any driver I've seen. That makes it better for me, definatly doesn't ruin it. What he did this week was awesome.

I mean, no one driver can ruin a sport. I don't like Kyle, and I don't like seeing him win but look at it this way. The more he wins, the more people want to see him lose right? So if he ever has a race like he had this weekend, but ends up losing do you know how excited and happy some fans would be? Plus it will have the Kyle fans coming back for more knowing their driver can do that and maybe next time get the win.

Even more than NASCAR ruining NASCAR the NFL (Would a kid in boston want to be like Jeff Gordon or tom Brady ) , climate change, effective public transportation reducing licenses, and the iphone have ruined NASCAR,

Three to four years ago you had Logano/Keselowski/Edwards/Earnhardt Jr/Harvick running just as much or almost as much Nationwide/Xfinity as Kyle. That competition was much tougher than mark faced back in the day.
Yeah, but that wasn't Nationwide competition. It was Cup-level competitors in cars funded by Cup teams. These days, a stand-alone Xfinity team doesn't stand a chance. When Martin was double-dipping, stand-alone Busch teams routinely walked off with championships.

If competitive eating has high profile personality stars, their names and faces haven't trickled down to my level.

Competitive eating is like horse racing. The masses only watch the Kentucky Derby and Nathan's 4th of July.

Back
Top Bottom