2015 Package Working

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
A bit early, but I feel like the tweaks to the rules package are working. I don't think the package was ever designed to screw those who want a tight car (i.e. The Champion), but to widen the set up potential for those who need the car on the looser side (Jimmie). It appeared to me that it worked thus far based on practice speeds, and race results. Your thoughts.....

I'll reserve my judgement til after the season is done.

I think the close racing on Sunday had more to do with the tire situation. California's going to be fun -- assuming Goodyear doesn't bring a rock tire.

I didn't see any driver having trouble passing, some had troubles with hitting o_O, and I saw a couple of driver error spins. Good sign IMO, cars were getting too easy to drive and were taking driver skill out of the equation.

I'll wait till after the first six races to judge.

You still couldn't catch or pass the leader under green. We still had guys gapping the field by 9 or 10 seconds. Granted, the 4 and the 48 were up and away the class of the field so I won't say it was strictly because of the rules package. I'll reserve judgment until I've seen more. The clean air up front still seems to be more of an advantage than anything else.

hold on its way way too early. atlanta is a unique track. its has about the oldest pavement out there. lets see what happens at vegas, texas etc. even california has gotten its own uniquness that it didn't have before. based on the tracks coming up IMO it will not be until at least until after the coke 600 to tell.

A bit early, but I feel like the tweaks to the rules package are working. I don't think the package was ever designed to screw those who want a tight car (i.e. The Champion), but to widen the set up potential for those who need the car on the looser side (Jimmie). It appeared to me that it worked thus far based on practice speeds, and race results. Your thoughts.....

Still early but if this rules package does what it is supposed to it will benefit the guys who are not always whining about their car not not being comfortable.

I need to see what happens on the West Coast.. on a dry track.

You still couldn't catch or pass the leader under green. We still had guys gapping the field by 9 or 10 seconds. Granted, the 4 and the 48 were up and away the class of the field so I won't say it was strictly because of the rules package. I'll reserve judgment until I've seen more. The clean air up front still seems to be more of an advantage than anything else.
You must be referring to yellow flags. Pretty sure more than one leader was passed under green ...

Clean air will always be an advantage at these speeds. There is no way to negate that.

Yesterday it looked to me that cars were not getting stuck in the pack and whoever the leader was had a good car and was not just benefiting from aero as we have seen in years past. It looked like driver could pull out and pass at a greater level then in years past but I have no proof of this. Once we get some more cookie cutters under our belt we will have a better idea.

I guess it was missed that at least four cars passed everybody to get to the front, the 48 had to pass more than that with their slow pit stop.

Amen, Carl.

Edwards finished 12th in his Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota. He said he still believes NASCAR needs to continue taking downforce away from the cars.

"We've got way too much speed in the center of the corner," he said. "There's not a lot of change, not a lot of opportunity to go down in the corner and over-drive it or under-drive it because you’ve got such high corner speeds.

"It's no problem to drive, the problem is it's too easy. We need to cut those spoilers down and get rid of those splitters."

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2015/3/2/new-rules-package-reaction-atlanta.html

About what I was expecting thus far. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if you chop their top end power, they'll be in the throttle longer, making it harder to pass and, in this case, actually increasing the corner speed. They have apparently chopped more power than downforce.

Amen, Carl.
Edwards finished 12th in his Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota. He said he still believes NASCAR needs to continue taking downforce away from the cars.

"We've got way too much speed in the center of the corner," he said. "There's not a lot of change, not a lot of opportunity to go down in the corner and over-drive it or under-drive it because you’ve got such high corner speeds.

"It's no problem to drive, the problem is it's too easy. We need to cut those spoilers down and get rid of those splitters."

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2015/3/2/new-rules-package-reaction-atlanta.html

Exact thing ive been saying forever. Will somebody please listen to this man? My man Carl knows what's up. Can NASCAR please get their heads out of their asses and make this happen.

your "man" carl wiped out on a corner over driving it. He is sounding worse than Kez at this point.

Not the effect I was hoping for, with any luck the short tracks will be better

About what I was expecting thus far. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if you chop their top end power, they'll be in the throttle longer, making it harder to pass and, in this case, actually increasing the corner speed. They have apparently chopped more power than downforce.

4 car hasnt noticed

Tried to keep an open mind on the package, but then watched this video and that kind of went away. Proof that "Boring 1.5 milers" aren't the cause of sleep-inducing racing.

I don't really see any difference in this new package … it is the same old deal where a few cars hit on the set up and rule the race …

I have noticed really nothing different in the rules package expect the corner speeds up, the racing is still good. I guess people want photo finishes, and the racing is about the same from last season

Seems to me if you're off even a little bit with this package, you're going 10 laps down quick.

It's already hard enough to pass in dirty air, I assume this makes it even tougher.

Honestly, I think that this year's package was designed to widen the set up possibilities to put guys who need loose cars back in the game without screwing those who like 'em snug. JJ is fast. Kasey is fast. Last year's players are still there. Don't ask me what the hell is up with my Toyotas. Don't know so I won't include them in the conversation, but it appears that there is now room in this game for the guys who like it looser. Next year might be a bigger swing.

"NASCAR, drivers, fans – we all want to see the best racing," Carl Edwards said. "The question is how, exactly, do we get that? The way I understand it, Gene Stefanyshyn (NASCAR's senior vice president for innovation and racing development) and everyone at NASCAR are trying to remove a little bit of downforce and make the cars race better.

"I'm hoping there's more of that in the future. As you remove horsepower, there's less time off the throttle and eventually, if you keep taking horsepower away and the teams keep finding more and more downforce, it will be impossible to pass. NASCAR has to stay ahead of that curve. They're working on it."

NASCAR continues to head in the direction of even less downforce in the coming months with the 2016 rules package getting some test time and being utilized in this year’s Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte in May. Edwards says that’s fine by him.

"It's an opportunity to say, 'Hey, this is what the sport was built on,' " Edwards said. "It was built on stock cars not relying on spoilers and splitters, and guys manhandling racecars around the track. That's where NASCAR wants to be. That's where the drivers want to be and I hope we end up there."

http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASC...les/2015/03/Sprint-Cup-Testing-Continues.aspx

wonder if the reduced power will affect roadcourse racing much. I am inclined to think no...

wonder if the reduced power will affect roadcourse racing much. I am inclined to think no...

when they got rid of the ride height rules last year, that was the biggest help IMO. They couldn't get the power down with the old engine and the skinny tires, I don't think it will make any difference, the older Nationwides had just as good or better racing than the cup cars, it depends on who is driving in either race IMO.

when they got rid of the ride height rules last year, that was the biggest help IMO. They couldn't get the power down with the old engine and the skinny tires, I don't think it will make any difference, the older Nationwides had just as good or better racing than the cup cars, it depends on who is driving in either race IMO.

Thanks for chiming in, SOI. For me, beating and banging on a road course is awesome. I just dont want to lose that kind of race. Makes sense though, you could have a 1000 hp engine if you cant get the power to the drive wheels, you're not going to be fast.

Thanks for chiming in, SOI. For me, beating and banging on a road course is awesome. I just dont want to lose that kind of race. Makes sense though, you could have a 1000 hp engine if you cant get the power to the drive wheels, you're not going to be fast.
late August the trucks are racing at Canadian Tire Motorsport park, that is a hell of a race and racetrack. So far, every race there has been a really good one.

late August the trucks are racing at Canadian Tire Motorsport park, that is a hell of a race and racetrack. So far, every race there has been a really good one.

I wish I was retired like you so I could make some of the Canuck races. Kids are expensive. So are wives.

I wish I was retired like you so I could make some of the Canuck races. Kids are expensive. So are wives.
Whatever floats your boat but one wife would be cheaper, that's for sure.....

13542276351734093800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom