2016 Charlotte - Coca-Cola 600 - Pre Race Thread

I've never cared for Monaco in the past. Too boring of racing to be worth getting up for.

I will be slightly annoyed that I have to miss the 100th Indy 500 to be at the 600. I've heard tales of fantastic NASCAR tailgating setups, maybe one of them will include a TV.
I've heard they show it on the backstretch video board.

I know last night's race was different from next week's but based on what you saw do you think we will see some good racing in the 600?
I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm sure the racing will be better than last year. That is a slam dunk. If there are some long green flag runs, I'm pretty sure this new tire will do it's job to produce some comers and goers and multi-lane racing.

Check out the odds for Chase Elliott and Ryan Blaney. :D

ODDS TO WIN 2016 SPRINT CUP SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP (11/20/16)
Driver Odds
Kevin Harvick 11/2
Jimmie Johnson 6/1
Kyle Busch 6/1
Carl Edwards 8/1
Joey Logano 8/1
Matt Kenseth 8/1
Brad Keselowski 10/1
Martin Truex Jr. 10/1
Denny Hamlin 12/1
Kurt Busch 12/1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 15/1
Chase Elliott 20/1
Kasey Kahne 40/1
Austin Dillon 50/1
Kyle Larson 60/1
Ryan Newman 80/1
Greg Biffle 100/1
Jamie McMurray 100/1
Ryan Blaney 100/1
Tony Stewart 100/1
Paul Menard 200/1
Ricky Stenhouse 300/1
AJ Allmendinger 500/1
Aric Almirola 500/1
Clint Bowyer 500/1
Danica Patrick 500/1
Field (Any Other Driver) 500/1
Trevor Bayne 500/1

Another ten on Truex 'n a buck each on Allmendinger 'n Almirola. It could rain or sumthin'.

Another ten on Truex 'n a buck each on Allmendinger 'n Almirola. It could rain or sumthin'.
The odds posted are for the Sprint Cup championship, not the 600. You still laying down on the 43?

I'm guessing Todd Berrier will be on the 19 pit box for the 600. And a reserve tire changer will be called up as well. Pretty good job security for the Gibbs second stringers.

CjL7AGRWYAE2GGr.jpg:large

CjL6__hXEAEAQLo.jpg:large

CjL7ADyWkAEHnZl.jpg:large

can people in Las Vegas bet on the driver's winning?

Last edited by a moderator:
can people in Las Vegas bet on the driver's winning?
Yep.

COCA-COLA 600
CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY
SUNDAY MAY 29 2016 - TV FOX

JIMMY JOHNSON 6-1
KYLE BUSCH 6-1
KEVIN HARVICK 6-1
MATT KENSETH 8-1
CARL EDWARDS 8-1
MARTIN TRUEX Jr 8-1

JOEY LOGANO 10-1
BRAD KESELOWSKI 10-1
KURT BUSCH 12-1
DENNY HAMLIN 12-1
DALE EARNHARDT Jr 15-1

CHASE ELLIOTT 18-1

KASEY KAHNE 25-1
KYLE LARSON 25-1
AUSTIN DILLON 40-1
JAMIE McMURRAY 80-1
RYAN NEWMAN 80-1
TONY STEWART 100-1
CLINT BOWYER 500-1
FIELD 100-1

Tryin' again.....................

Ten on Hamlin. Two bits on Bowyer.

Yeah, I can afford it.

Yep.

COCA-COLA 600
CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY
SUNDAY MAY 29 2016 - TV FOX

JIMMY JOHNSON 6-1
KYLE BUSCH 6-1
KEVIN HARVICK 6-1
MATT KENSETH 8-1
CARL EDWARDS 8-1
MARTIN TRUEX Jr 8-1

JOEY LOGANO 10-1
BRAD KESELOWSKI 10-1
KURT BUSCH 12-1
DENNY HAMLIN 12-1
DALE EARNHARDT Jr 15-1

CHASE ELLIOTT 18-1

KASEY KAHNE 25-1
KYLE LARSON 25-1
AUSTIN DILLON 40-1
JAMIE McMURRAY 80-1
RYAN NEWMAN 80-1
TONY STEWART 100-1
CLINT BOWYER 500-1
FIELD 100-1
I mean if I had to coach a football game Jimmy Johnson is a solid choice....but I'd rather have Jimmie for the 600. Also 25-1 is disrespecting Kaseys 3 600 wins

I mean if I had to coach a football game Jimmy Johnson is a solid choice....but I'd rather have Jimmie for the 600. Also 25-1 is disrespecting Kaseys 3 600 wins
I didn't catch that. I'm not error proof ya know. :p

Cannot wait to head down to Charlotte this weekend. I have never traveled south of the Mason/Dixon for a race before

Welcome to RF.

Charlotte can be warm on Memorial Day, reaching 90 to 95 in the afternoon. Definitely go to a barbeque restaurant. In the South, 'barbeque' means pork, cooked over wood for 10 to 14 hours. The resulting meat is shredded and server on a bun as a sandwich, or on a plate with a choice of traditional side dishes. Do NOT put red ketchupy 'KC Masterpiece'-style sauce on it, even if that crap is on the table. Stick with either a vinegar-pepper sauce or a mustard-based sauce. If you're not sure, ask the waitress which is which.

For some great BBQ I'd recommend The Smoke Pit in Concord

https://thesmokepitnc.com

I freakin' love this race.

This seems to be always an entertaining race so i doubt this year will be no different. Of course a Chase win would be great or another fantastic showing by Kyle Larson would be fun to watch. My gut is telling me it will be Brad Keslowski's day.

Announced this morning that the Indy 500 is a complete sellout @ 350,000 fans. I wonder how close the 600 will come to selling out?

From what I last saw on ticketmaster, it's maybe 2/3 sold right now.

I hate to say it, especially since I have tickets for out-of-town guests, but the weather forecast is starting to look shaky. On Monday, the NWS forecast was to be clear through the holiday weekend. Yesterday they were predicting 30% Sunday afternoon through Monday morning. Now we're up to 50% Sunday morning through Tuesday night.

Announced this morning that the Indy 500 is a complete sellout @ 350,000 fans. I wonder how close the 600 will come to selling out?
That's the "I'm here for the event" crowd, an attitude I'll never get. Most of them won't know an IndyCar from a Pinewood Derby car. The racing was probably better last week for the Indy Grand Prix, with the same cars in the same facility for cheaper tickets, but those non-fans wouldn't care.

That's the "I'm here for the event" crowd, an attitude I'll never get. Most of them won't know an IndyCar from a Pinewood Derby car. The racing was probably better last week for the Indy Grand Prix, with the same cars in the same facility for cheaper tickets, but those non-fans wouldn't care.
Maybe if you're in the Coke lot or Snake Pit. Otherwise, it's the same crowd as usual plus people who are making the trek for the first time or going back for the first time in ages. They did have to set up some temporary suites but that's probably not a huge portion of the total attendance.

That'll be me someday. I couldn't name 5 current drivers that will be running there on Sunday but I'd still like to go there some day. Just for the event itself.

I hate to say it, especially since I have tickets for out-of-town guests, but the weather forecast is starting to look shaky. On Monday, the NWS forecast was to be clear through the holiday weekend. Yesterday they were predicting 30% Sunday afternoon through Monday morning. Now we're up to 50% Sunday morning through Tuesday night.

What forecast are you looking at? Weather channel is reporting sunny to partly cloudy during the day and maybe 20% chance of a scattered thunderstorm before midnight. Accuweather is even more favorable. Unfortunately I went ahead and bought a flagpole for the weekend, whoops.

What forecast are you looking at? Weather channel is reporting sunny to partly cloudy during the day and maybe 20% chance of a scattered thunderstorm before midnight. Accuweather is even more favorable. Unfortunately I went ahead and bought a flagpole for the weekend, whoops.
National Weather Service. It won't bother me if they're wrong. I'll be there whenever it runs, but my guests are leaving Monday. We'll probably catch the X race; I don't want them to leave without seeing at least some racing.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.4087&lon=-80.5795#.V0XG6NT1WCg

Edited: looks like they've tweaked Sunday down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom