2016 Dover - Delaware 400 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The NASCAR Sprint Cup and XFINITY Series will gather for a doubleheader showing at Dover International Speedway this weekend. The Camping World Truck Series will race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Note: All times are ET
FRIDAY, SEPT. 30:

ON TRACK: Dover
-- 10-11:25 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 1:30-2:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 3:40 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 1 p.m. NASCAR XFINITY Series

SATURDAY, OCT. 1:

-- 10:30-11:25 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series second practice, CNBC/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 11:45 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, CNBC/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 1:30-2:20 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 3 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Drive Sober 200 (200 laps, 200 miles), NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 10 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

ON TRACK: Las Vegas
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice (Follow live)
-- 1-2 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice (Follow live)
-- 6:10 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS2 (Follow live)
-- 8:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series DC Solar 350 (146 laps, 219 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

SUNDAY, OCT. 2:

-- 2 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Citizen Soldier 400 (400 laps, 400 miles), NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

I always enjoy the Dover races. Not as iconic as places like Daytona, Darlington, and Charlotte, but a mainstay going back to the 60s.
The track is a one of a kind, the high banks and narrow straights make it treacherous.
I always respect the winner for winning at one of the most technical tracks (IMO).

I think the place is worthy of two events per year, as long as Nascar keeps the two dates per year schedules.

We were long time season ticket holders @ Dover. Way back before the move to the shorter 400 mile races. Heck, way back before the change to cement from asphalt. As unpopular as long races are these days I miss the 500 mile races at that track especially on the asphalt surface on the bias ply tires.

We were long time season ticket holders @ Dover. Way back before the move to the shorter 400 mile races. Heck, way back before the change to cement from asphalt. As unpopular as long races are these days I miss the 500 mile races at that track especially on the asphalt surface on the bias ply tires.

I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see them bring back at least one 500-lap race at Dover. With the banking and difficulty of the track, I think it remains an endurance test for drivers.

Dover II Last 10 Winners:

2006 - Jeff Burton (Chevrolet)
2007 - Carl Edwards (Ford)
2008 - Greg Biffle (Ford)
2009 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2010 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2011 - Kurt Busch (Dodge)
2012 - Brad Keselowski (Dodge)
2013 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2014 - Jeff Gordon (Chevrolet)
2015 - Kevin Harvick (Chevrolet)

I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see them bring back at least one 500-lap race at Dover. With the banking and difficulty of the track, I think it remains an endurance test for drivers.

There are some races I'd like to see be cut to more of a sprint race (Phoenix Spring back to 250 laps, Texas Spring to 400 miles, Dover Spring to 300 laps). I like the idea of a 500 lap race especially in the Chase to close out Round 1. Makes teams prepare for keeping the equipment & parts together.

There has always been only one line, the bottom (except COT) . The top is only for entertainment and drivers abusing there cars.

88 goes to Delaware state lol. I had dozens of lifelnog memories at my hometrack!

Dover has always been one of my favorite tracks. I think in recent years the racing has been pretty tame due to the cars being so equal, but now with the lower aero package, I have high expectations for Dover. It's fast, and relatively narrow but there are still plenty of opportunities to pass.

If the racing is good, I could see them adding another 100 miles to it.

500 miles at Dover is way more of an endurance test than 600 miles at Charlotte. 600 miles at Dover would be a death sentence for everyone who participates.

I also want to add...one of my all-time favorite NASCAR memories was seeing Kyle Petty win a race here in the 90's and he had to be physically removed to his car and provided oxygen while placed on a stretcher. He was on the brink of heat stroke.

There has always been only one line, the bottom (except COT) . The top is only for entertainment and drivers abusing there cars.
What's wrong with that? Dover has always basically been (old) Bristol on steroids. The only difference at Dover is that the bump-n-run is more disastrous.

We will be in attendance, once again! We have HOT passes from our friends at the #5 and #24 shop. The weather looks extra crappy so far. We thought the weather couldn't be as bad as last year, when we had Hurricane Joaquin. This year could be worse. Weather.com is showing a constant rain from now until St. Swithersday in Dover. I really hope it clears up! Anyone up for a post-race beer in the parking lot with some nice folks from Western PA?

Also, if the Xfinity race gets rained out Saturday, will they run it Sunday morning before the big show?

We will be in attendance, once again! We have HOT passes from our friends at the #5 and #24 shop. The weather looks extra crappy so far. We thought the weather couldn't be as bad as last year, when we had Hurricane Joaquin. This year could be worse. Weather.com is showing a constant rain from now until St. Swithersday in Dover. I really hope it clears up! Anyone up for a post-race beer in the parking lot with some nice folks from Western PA?

Also, if the Xfinity race gets rained out Saturday, will they run it Sunday morning before the big show?
1025541.jpg

http://deldot.gov/information/travel_advisory/#trafficBox3

The link is to a cam operated by D DoT mounted at the facility. At the moment it's pointed towards the monster thing outside of the track by the exit of four. A couple haulers just rolled thru the view.

It's a good way to see what the weather's doin'. Looks like it's spittin' rain at the moment.

If the Cup race is scheduled for 2pm, I wonder how early they would attempt to run Xfinity? 10am? 8am? Anyone have a guess? We'd really like to be in the infield before the race.

If the Cup race is scheduled for 2pm, I wonder how early they would attempt to run Xfinity? 10am? 8am? Anyone have a guess? We'd really like to be in the infield before the race.
Probably pretty early. They'll want some time to clear the grandstands after the X race. I'm guessing no later that 9:00. Of course, we don't know that it's going to be necessary yet. ;)

I hope you're right about the weather. If not, there will be a lot of people with COLD passes that won't get in on Sunday. I wonder what the track does about those people? Make them buy a grandstand ticket?

Probably pretty early. They'll want some time to clear the grandstands after the X race. I'm guessing no later that 9:00. Of course, we don't know that it's going to be necessary yet. ;)
Oh heck I don't know about that. I mean it's Thursday. Hell we've called for a three day washout on a Monday leading up to a race weekend before. :D

If they run a double-header, do they actually clear the seats in between events? I've never done that with NASCAR, but I know with baseball, if there is a double-header, your ticket is good for both events. You basically get a free game.

For what it's worth, the weather looks OK for Sunday. Saturday is showing 90% day and 90% night for rain.

If they run a double-header, do they actually clear the seats in between events? I've never done that with NASCAR, but I know with baseball, if there is a double-header, your ticket is good for both events. You basically get a free game.
Baseball double-header economics are different. Some of them are planned in advance. For the unplanned ones, the season has so many games that the team knows there will be a few unscheduled ones. Also, when a fan buys a ticket, he's in the same seat for both games.

Race tracks host far fewer events than baseball stadiums, so they're annual planned budget can't include any freebies. With racing, the fans payed a lot less for those supporting race tickets than for the Cup event. The track isn't going to let those X-only ticket holders get the Cup race for free. There's also the potential problem of different people holding tickets for the same seat in each race.

I've read of a couple of unplanned doubles where the Cup ticket holders are let in for free after 20% or 25% of the supporting race has been run. I recall M'ville started a Truck race on a Sunday double-header and then let the Cup holders in after 50 laps of 250. I guess the track figures that by that point, they've sold all the tickets they can reasonably expect to move, and the good will from letting the Cup crowd in the smart long-term move.

Weather being the deciding factor.....

Note: All times are ET
FRIDAY, SEPT. 30:

-- 10-11:25 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 1:30-2:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 3:40 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 1 p.m. NASCAR XFINITY Series

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)

-- 8:30 a.m.: Chris Buescher
-- 8:45 a.m.: Chase Elliott
-- 9 a.m.: Jamie McMurray
-- 9:15 a.m.: Jimmie Johnson
-- 9:45 a.m.: Erik Jones
-- 12:30 p.m.: Martin Truex Jr.
-- 12:45 p.m.: Regan Smith
-- 4:40 p.m. approx.: Post-NASCAR Sprint Cup Series qualifying

Not much rain hitting the dome at the moment. The paved area outside the exit of four is soaked.

Back
Top Bottom