2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

While it certainly is for some fans I'm guessing FOX must look at this as a wining situation for them. Maybe what they gain in new subscriber fees for FS1 justifies it in their eyes? I just don't know.
So far, they don't seem to be having any trouble selling advertising time.

So far, they don't seem to be having any trouble selling advertising time.

The important question is what are the networks able to charge for the 30 second spots? I believe the high end for regular season sports is around 650K for Sunday Night Football on NBC but IDK what a 30 second spot for Nascar programming on FOX or NBC is.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...ga-tied-lowest-1997-viewership-increases-fox/

Despite tying its lowest rating in nearly two decades, NASCAR’s spring Talladega race scored a rare increase in viewership.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Talladega (AL) earned a 4.0 final rating and 6.7 million viewers on FOX last Sunday, flat in ratings but up 6% in viewership from last year (4.0, 6.3M) and down 9% and 3%, respectively, from 2014 (4.4, 6.9M). The 4.0 rating is tied as the lowest for the race since it last aired on cable in 1997.

The race has now tied or set a multi-year ratings low in four straight years.

Viewership was also historically low, ranking ahead of only last year as the lowest since at least fifteen years. Still, the year-over-year increase was just the second of the season for any NASCAR race — joining Martinsville’s 4% bump on Fox Sports 1 last month — and the first for the spring Talladega race since 2011.

If low by Talladega standards, Sunday’s figures compare favorably to other NASCAR races this year. After an April in which no race mustered even a 3.5 rating, Sunday’s 4.0 tied the circuit’s highest mark since Las Vegas in early March.

The 1997 race, by the way, was run on a Saturday afternoon after being postponed for two weeks due to rain. The race ran caution free, going down as the fastest race in history. Mark Martin won that race too. :D

from jayski

According to final numbers from Nielsen Media Research, Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race from Talladega Superspeedway delivered a solid 4.0/10 and 6.7 million viewers, matching last year's performance on a HH Rating basis and ticking up +6% on average audience (6.7 million vs. 6.3 million). On FOX Sports Go, Sunday's race produced 54,318 streams with 25,372 unique streamers and 969,679 minutes streamed. Saturday's NASCAR XFINITY SERIES race on FOX posted nice increases for the Talladega 300 with a 1.9/5 and 2.9 million viewers, up +19% over last year's 1.6/4 (2.4 million) to rank as the most-watched Xfinity Series telecast on any network since 2013's running of the Daytona 300 on ESPN. It marks the fifth consecutive NASCAR XFINITY SERIES race to be either flat or up versus 2015 comparable events.(Fox).(5-6-2016)

Including the rain delays from last year's races approximately Nascar is down about 5.8 million viewers this year.

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race from Talladega Superspeedway (AL) delivered a 100.0 rating in the Marquis household on Sunday, holding solid after delivering the same rating one year ago. The race was actually streamed via Fox Sports GO, making Marquis household responsible for being one of the 25,372 unique streamers for the race.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/05/nascar-ratings-fs1-kansas-overnights-up-low/

For the first time this season, NASCAR’s Sprint Cup scored an increase in the metered markets.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Kansas earned a 1.8 overnight rating on Fox Sports 1 Saturday night, up 20% from last year (1.5) but down 45% from 2014 on the FOX broadcast network (3.3). Last year’s race was delayed two hours due to rain and finished after 1 AM ET.

The 1.8 overnight is the second-lowest ever for the race, which was first run in 2011. It is also the second-lowest for a Sprint Cup race on FS1 (eight telecasts). In both cases, last year’s race holds the bottom spot.

In part due to the low bar set last year, Saturday’s race was the first of the season to post a year-over-year increase in the metered markets*. Only one other race has even held steady in the overnights, Talladega the previous week.

Head-to-head, NASCAR on FS1 trailed both the NHL playoffs on NBC (2.7) and the NBA Playoffs on ABC (4.3).

* Not including races that were rained out last year.

I am quite surprised the NHL playoffs beat Nascar as I didn't see it coming. In terms of viewership Nascar needs to keep as many races away as possible from Saturday night.

I am quite surprised the NHL playoffs beat Nascar as I didn't see it coming. In terms of viewership Nascar needs to keep as many races away as possible from Saturday night.
Nascar and the NHL had equal billing in my Pittsburgh based market. PIP worked flawlessly. The hockey game and race results did not however.

Both of my teams (Islanders and Lightning) got matched up in the EC semis so that was an interesting predicament. I like the way TB has played despite injuries so far, hope they can keep it up.

/Hijack

Both of my teams (Islanders and Lightning) got matched up in the EC semis so that was an interesting predicament. I like the way TB has played despite injuries so far, hope they can keep it up.

/Hijack
I hope to see Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay face off next week. That would be an excellent match-up.

As far as the topic goes..... Nascar ratings are horrible.

Go Pens!

I hope to see Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay face off next week. That would be an excellent match-up.

As far as the topic goes..... Nascar ratings are horrible.

Go Pens!
Pens or Caps ... it won't matter.

The Bolts will eat either of them alive ... without Steven.

I read it was the best overnight for a first- or second-round game on the NBC family of networks since they acquired the rights in '06.

I read it was the best overnight for a first- or second-round game on the NBC family of networks since they acquired the rights in '06.

Hockey has made such huge strides in the US in the last 35 years going from next to nothing to producing top notch players, coaches and executives. The only thing I don't care for is the structure that 7 year olds and ups are being subjected to. I don't know how many games I played but it would have been in the hundreds and I think I maybe had 5 scheduled practices. The real practicing we did was with other kids and teenagers so we learned to be creative and we learned a lot from emulating the better players and developing new skills. Most of the programs now feature systems and structure and that is not all bad but it can stifle creativity.

just because people do not watch on TV does not mean it is all bad. How many french fries were sold? How many t shirts were sold? How many die cast were sold?

just because people do not watch on TV does not mean it is all bad. How many french fries were sold? How many t shirts were sold? How many die cast were sold?

image.jpeg
Fewer.

Nascar has a very good TV contract so the sky is nowhere near falling however it is never a good thing when millions of people who once consumed your product no longer do.

John Cooper is the son of an old family friend. After his team's game 5 win to get to the conference final, he said he'd he'd rather play the Pens.

Game on, dpk. :D
Started a thread over in the sports section of the forums so you could spew more of your mindless Lighting balderdash over there. :D Yeah, you read it right..... balderdash! I've been waiting a long, long time to use that word.

Game on aunty!

http://racing-forums.com/threads/lightning-to-face-penguins-in-eastern-conference-final.53021/

Blasphemy is my favorite with the phrase righteous indignation a close second.

I'll show up there later this am.

if 40,000 players play nascar on xbox that is like 3 million for NASCAR licenses for NASCAR.

Speaking of, Forza 6 is all but confirmed to be getting a NASCAR expansion next week. Not as great as a dedicated game, but definitely good for getting the sport out there in front of the millions of people who play casual racing games.

Speaking of, Forza 6 is all but confirmed to be getting a NASCAR expansion next week. Not as great as a dedicated game, but definitely good for getting the sport out there in front of the millions of people who play casual racing games.

I have friends with kids and grandkids that love playing Nascar games but have zero interest in watching on TV or going to a race.

FS1 earned a 2.22 overnight rating for yesterday's @NASCAR Sprint Cup #AAA400 @MonsterMile, basically flat from 2.28 for last year's race.

FS1 earned a 2.22 overnight rating for yesterday's @NASCAR Sprint Cup #AAA400 @MonsterMile, basically flat from 2.28 for last year's race.

As far as I am concerned flat YOY ratings are great as they buck the trend from this year and hopefully indicate stability and the potential for modest yearly growth.

Back
Top Bottom