2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/01/the-decline-of-the-drivers-license/425169/

Good article on how fewer and fewer people are getting licenses and driving their own cars. I know I have several friends (early 20's) that don't have a license and use a bus, Uber, or Lyft if they have to get somewhere outside of walking or biking distance.

Thanks for the link and it was an interesting read. A lot of my friends kids don't have licenses and one who lives and works in DC uses everything that was listed to get around.

Times really have changed. I remember when I was 14 or 15 counting down the days until I could get my license. Kids today don't seem to care though. I have a nephew who's 20, doesn't have a license, and doesn't care to get one.

A few times when I have had to make the I65/I24 merge and the I24/I40 merge I wish I didn't have a license either lol!

IndyCar's audience is in a slow but steady increase for the past five years or so and NASCAR's audience is in a perpetual state of decline.

I expected this year's Indy 500 ratings to be down. ABC did jack and sh!t to promote the race. Even during the broadcast, they had countless promos for NBA but only one for the next IndyCar race.

Hopefully, IndyCar kicks ABC to the curb when the TV contracts are up for renewal and gives everything to NBC.

I thought this might be the year viewership leveled off for Nascar but erosion continues with most races. While Nascar is nowhere near in danger of going out of business you have to wonder how much lower viewership and interest will fall.

I thought this might be the year viewership leveled off for Nascar but erosion continues with most races. While Nascar is nowhere near in danger of going out of business you have to wonder how much lower viewership and interest will fall.

This is the toughest year for NASCAR. I mean, every time NASCAR has a few good races and you start to regain interest, they have a genuinely terrible race -- usually some night race at some mile and a half track.

Other than the 500 open wheel racing in America is irrelevant. It is so hard to type that sentence but unfortunately it is true.

I feel like open wheel racing in the US has no identity. F1 is the "technology king", NASCAR is "beatin' and bangin'", what is Indycar? Even IMSA has the sportscar/stock car thing going for it. (i.e. IMSA is arguably more stock car than NASCAR)

This is the toughest year for NASCAR. I mean, every time NASCAR has a few good races and you start to regain interest, they have a genuinely terrible race -- usually some night race at some mile and a half track.

Pocono will be a big test as if they can improve that race they will have done a lot.

I feel like open wheel racing in the US has no identity. F1 is the "technology king", NASCAR is "beatin' and bangin'", what is Indycar? Even IMSA has the sportscar/stock car thing going for it. (i.e. IMSA is arguably more stock car than NASCAR)

I enjoyed the 500 this year more than the 600 and it was the same last year. My buddy has gone to 53 consecutive 500's and he said it was the biggest crowd he could remember in a while this year.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/06/nascar-ratings-down-fox-coca-cola-600-twenty-year-low/

One of the biggest races on the NASCAR calendar delivered its smallest rating in at least two decades.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Charlotte earned a 3.4 final rating and 5.7 million viewers on FOX Sunday afternoon, down 11% in ratings and viewership from last year (3.8, 6.4M) and down 17% and 18%, respectively, from 2014 (4.1, 7.0M).

Martin Truex Jr.‘s win, in which he led for a NASCAR-record 588 of the 600 miles, tied the lowest rating for the Coca-Cola 600 since at least 1996 — matching the 2000 race on TBS. It also earned the smallest audience for the race since at least 2000. Keep in mind that excludes the 2009 race, which was postponed due to rain and earned a 3.3 and 5.3 million on Memorial Day.

For the second straight year, the Coca-Cola 600 finished behind the Indianapolis 500 in both ratings (3.8 to 3.4) and viewership (5.9M to 5.7M). Since FOX began airing the race in 2001, it has trailed the Indy 500 on just two other occasions — 2001 and 2005. In both cases, the race had a lower rating but still attracted a larger audience.

Ratings and viewership have now declined for eight of the 13 Sprint Cup races this season, with five of those races hitting a multi-year low in one or both measures. Of the ten races on the FOX broadcast network, all but Talladega declined.

Sunday’s race was not just low for Charlotte. The 3.4 rating tied the fifth-lowest rating for any Sprint Cup race ever on FOX. Four of the network’s six lowest ratings came this season.

Oh, if you're young and a male, you can expect to get boned on auto insurance. I think I was paying $360/month at one point.

In North Carolina, you're required to have car insurance to have a license. So, if you don't actually have a car, what's the point in having a license?
I'm embarrassed to say this but Auto Insurance is still not compulsory down here. Not even third party! :mad:
New Zealand that is.

NASCAR needs new streams of revenue besides TV contracts. I recommend a WalMart contract like Damon John got on Shark tank of 2 billion dollars.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/742750107817410560

Ck7HSRfVAAAFJIJ.jpg

Nascar certainly does skew heavily to the older crowd and you don't need to be an expert in extrapolating numbers to see what that means even in just the short and intermediate term.

Yup, pretty much what we already knew but the disparity is more than I expected:

it is worth noting that Sunday’s race had a 0.7 rating among adults under the age of 50 and a 2.3 among those over 50. In the over 50 demo, it was the day’s top program on cable

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/07/nascar-ratings-daytona-nbc-viewership-up/

Run as scheduled for the first time in three years, NASCAR’s Firecracker 400 hit multi-year highs on NBC.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Daytona earned a 3.4 rating and 5.7 million viewers on NBC Saturday night, per Nielsen fast-nationals — up 26% in ratings and 43% in viewership from last year’s race, which was run on a Sunday and delayed several hours due to rain (2.7, 4.0M). The 2014 race was postponed a full day from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon, earning a 2.4 and 4.0 million on TNT.

Jayski states that overnight ratings for Kentucky were a 1.8, down from a 2.0 last year.

But honestly, I think that viewership is much more important than ratings. In that metric, 9 races are up from last year, and 8 are down, so the picture is not as bleak as it may seem from ratings.

Jayski states that overnight ratings for Kentucky were a 1.8, down from a 2.0 last year.

But honestly, I think that viewership is much more important than ratings. In that metric, 9 races are up from last year, and 8 are down, so the picture is not as bleak as it may seem from ratings.

According to Jayski Nascar has a net loss of viewers in 8 races, a net gain in 7 and a push in 2 so far this year. The problem is the races where Nascar lost viewers tally around 15 million and the races where they gained equal about 4 million for a net loss of 11 million viewers. I will let others decide if those numbers are bleak or not but the elephant in the room is Nascar's Jurassic audience as the vast majority of Nascar fans are over 50 and that is too old for advertisers.

Finals for Kentucky are in.

from jayski.....

UPDATE: NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Kentucky earned a 1.9 final rating and 3.2 million viewers on NBCSN Saturday night, down 5% in ratings and 1% in viewership from last year (2.0, 3.2M), down 17% and 11%, respectively, from 2014 (2.3, 3.6M), and the lowest rated and least-watched Sprint Cup race from Kentucky (dates back to 2011). Kentucky was the ninth race this season to hit a multi-year low in ratings and/or viewership (excluding rainout years), joining Michigan, Charlotte, Richmond, Bristol, Texas, Fontana, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Though low overall, Saturday's race was the most-watched program on NBCSN since last year's Martinsville race (3.4M) - topping Games 2 and 3 of the Stanley Cup Final (2.5M and 2.8M, respectively). Head-to-head, NASCAR on NBCSN topped competing coverage of Major League Baseball on FOX (2.1M) but trailed the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials on NBC (3.4M).

FWIW, a bit of perspective on sports event ratings:

"With few exceptions, this year has been marked by declines. The Super Bowl posted declines in ratings and viewership for the first time in three years. College football’s national championship sank double-digits. The NCAA Final Four delivered some of its worst numbers on record. Five of seven NBA Finals games declined. The MLB All-Star Game hit a record low. The Kentucky Derby, Masters and Daytona 500 also fell, as did smaller events like the Indy 500 and Stanley Cup final."

From Sports Media Watch

I was looking at the upcoming schedule and came across a few noteworthy observations.The Glen is on USA, undoubtedly because of the Olympics. I wonder if this might actually help viewership, because don't more people get USA than NBCSN? Since the weekend of the 14th is an off weekend, the only race on NBC or NBCSN during the Olympics will be Bristol on NBCSN. Olympics are Aug 5th-21st.

Next race on NBC isn't until Darlington, which oddly enough will be going up against a Notre Dame game that night.

New Hampshire, from Jayski
"For the second straight week, NASCAR ratings dropped on NBCSN. NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from New Hampshire scored a 2.1 and 3.3 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday afternoon, down 13% in ratings and 10% in viewership from last year (2.4, 3.7M) and down 22% and 23%, respectively, from 2014 on TNT (2.7, 4.3M). Keep in mind Dale Earnhardt Jr. missed Sunday's race due to concussion symptoms. His absence may or may not have had an impact on the numbers. As was the case with Kentucky the previous week, poor numbers for NASCAR are still big numbers for NBCSN. Sunday's race delivered the network's largest audience since last year's Martinsville Chase For the Cup race (3.4M), exceeding even Games 2 and 3 of the Stanley Cup Final."

And before you say that "it's because all sports are declining!" The top 50 most watched sporting events through July 16th only had ONE NASCAR event, the Daytona 500, which was 31st. NASCAR is obviously in deep trouble.

Until FOX and NBC treat NASCAR like the NFL nothing will change. In the NFL ,the announcers care and provide alot of information. In NASCAR,not so much.

Adam Stern ‏@A_S12 1h1 hour ago Charlotte, NC

.@NBCSN earned a 3.1 fast national for #Brickyard400, up 3% from a 3.0 in '15, and 5.2 million viewers, up 11% from last year's 4.7 million.

Adam Stern ‏@A_S12 60m60 minutes ago Charlotte, NC

#Brickyard400 viewership was the best since '13, making it better than when the more widely distributed ESPN aired it for final time in '14.

I wonder how Women's Golf made out? :D

From Jayski
Indianapolis TV Ratings:
With Jeff Gordon coming out of retirement to replace Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR's Brickyard 400 scored a double-digit increase over last year. NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Indianapolis earned a 3.1 rating and 5.2 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday afternoon, according to Nielsen fast-nationals - up 3% in ratings and 11% in viewership from last year (3.0, 4.7M) and down 9% and about even, respectively, compared to 2014 on ESPN (3.4, 5.2M). Kyle Busch's win, in which Gordon finished 13th, ranks as the highest rated and most-watched program in the history of NBCSN (previously VERSUS and OLN). The previous highs were set by last year's race. It was also the third of the past five Sprint Cup races to post an increase in ratings and viewership. Excluding races that were postponed either this year or last, seven of 17 races this season have posted an increase in ratings and/or viewership.(Sports Media Watch)(7-26-2016)

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-7-23-24-2016.html

From showbuzzdaily.com

This is interesting because it lists most of the sporting events from the weekend. Some things of note, IMSA scored a 0.30 on Fox on Saturday, while F1 scored a 0.31 on NBCSN on Sunday morning.
Also, IMSA was on at the exact same time as Xfinity from Indy on NBCSN which scored a 1.04.

For those tha might be interested, LPGA on NBC on Sunday scored a 0.54.

I like this skedball stuff, they also list a few other statistics for each program so definitely worth checking out if you have a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom