2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

For NBCSN, it's called growth.

Irrespective of the flood of negativity, it appears to me that broadcaster is getting his money's worth.

From Jayski
Indianapolis TV Ratings:
With Jeff Gordon coming out of retirement to replace Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR's Brickyard 400 scored a double-digit increase over last year. NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Indianapolis earned a 3.1 rating and 5.2 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday afternoon, according to Nielsen fast-nationals - up 3% in ratings and 11% in viewership from last year (3.0, 4.7M) and down 9% and about even, respectively, compared to 2014 on ESPN (3.4, 5.2M). Kyle Busch's win, in which Gordon finished 13th, ranks as the highest rated and most-watched program in the history of NBCSN (previously VERSUS and OLN). The previous highs were set by last year's race. It was also the third of the past five Sprint Cup races to post an increase in ratings and viewership. Excluding races that were postponed either this year or last, seven of 17 races this season have posted an increase in ratings and/or viewership.(Sports Media Watch)(7-26-2016)

My apologies to all the casual fans who tuned in. No one should've watched that race...embarrassment to the sport.

For NBCSN, it's called growth.

Irrespective of the flood of negativity, it appears to me that broadcaster is getting his money's worth.

For NBCSN it is called growth and for Nascar it's just a sign of the times going forward in reverse. I was wondering when I could use that one!

The great news for Nascar is when you look at viewership from May to the end of July they are about even with last year with roughly a net gain of 100K viewers. I made no allowances for rain delays for either year.

The only fly in the ointment I see is that from February to the end of April viewership had a loss of about 6.5 million viewers including rain delays from both years. As always perspective is paramount.

My apologies to all the casual fans who tuned in. No one should've watched that race...embarrassment to the sport.
NBCSN doesn't strike me as a channel where someone would be tuning into a race for the first time but you are right..... If that was someone's first experience with the sport, it was not much of an advertisement. I'd hope that they'd give another one a try.

@NBCSportsPR

Thanks to multi-tasking NASCAR fans at work, Monday afternoon’s Pocono event delivered NBC Sports’ best race ever in terms of live streaming

@NBCSportsPR

Season-to-date, NASCAR on NBC has drawn 241K unique users and 26.7M live minutes, up +24% and +60%, respectively, from last season

from jayski.....

Watkins Glen TV Ratings: NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Watkins Glen earned a 2.1 overnight rating on USA Network Sunday afternoon, down 13% from last year on NBCSN (2.4) and down 30% from 2014 on ESPN (3.0). The last time the race aired opposite the Olympics, 2012, it earned a 2.7 on ESPN. Seven of the past nine Sprint Cup races have posted declines in the metered markets, not including the two rained out Pocono races.(Sports Media Watch via Sports Business Daily)(8-9-2016)

@NBCSportsPR

Thanks to multi-tasking NASCAR fans at work, Monday afternoon’s Pocono event delivered NBC Sports’ best race ever in terms of live streaming

@NBCSportsPR

Season-to-date, NASCAR on NBC has drawn 241K unique users and 26.7M live minutes, up +24% and +60%, respectively, from last season

This is only from streams they control. There are many streams out there that are not the most legal but a lot of people use because you need a cable account to watch the race on the NBCSN stream.

when you consider NASCAR used to be on CBS and ABC 30 times a year there is nothing good, exciting, or positive to look forward to with TV and NASCAR.

This is only from streams they control. There are many streams out there that are not the most legal but a lot of people use because you need a cable account to watch the race on the NBCSN stream.

FL race fan posted info about streaming a while back and it was interesting as there were not nearly as many as I thought but I know it is something that is growing.

I pay (a lot) for cable so I'm committed to the TV over streaming, but I always find myself having keep my laptop open with the leaderboard up to keep track of everything not seen in the race broadcast. It does make me wonder it I'd be better just streaming it all on one device. Does anyone here have the xfinity X-1 system? It looks to me like it would give me some of that capability on my tv but I have no idea if it's worth the cost.

I pay (a lot) for cable so I'm committed to the TV over streaming, but I always find myself having keep my laptop open with the leaderboard up to keep track of everything not seen in the race broadcast. It does make me wonder it I'd be better just streaming it all on one device. Does anyone here have the xfinity X-1 system? It looks to me like it would give me some of that capability on my tv but I have no idea if it's worth the cost.

I don't really think it is worth it to stream if you are paying for cable and can get it on the tv. The quality of the tv connection is 10 times better than any stream.
The only reason streams are popular is because people don't want to pay for cable, or they are on the go and not able to get in front of a tv.

when you consider NASCAR used to be on CBS and ABC 30 times a year there is nothing good, exciting, or positive to look forward to with TV and NASCAR.

In the next few years I will be interested to see if the cable networks are able to charge more to cable/sat companies for carrying Nascar programming and if the erosion of fan base will stabilize. Nascar does have a lucrative TV contract for the foreseeable future and seem to be taking advantage of it by trying out new rules to see if it will generate more interest. So far that does not seem to be the case. I think most of the fans Nascar has left are of the die hard variety and even though they are not comfortable with some of the changes Nascar has made it won't stop them from watching all the races or attending live events.

Some differences I can see between stick and ball sports and Nascar is that S&B teams have tremendous rivalries but Nascar doesn't seem to have any. S&B teams seem to have a much more passionate fan base as if a city's team is doing well it will be full of pride and if they are doing poorly fans will show up to games with bags over their heads. The post season or playoffs are the most watched S&B games while in Nascar the longer the season goes the less interest it generates. IDK what it would take or even if it is possible but having some “Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" like Georgia and Georgia Tech have would go a long way in igniting some fight and passion in the fan base.

What additional info that be added to the TV broadcasts that you would like to see?

What additional info that be added to the TV broadcasts that you would like to see?

Mainly a live leaderboard, preferably with favorite drivers and delta, so I can catch passes that happen during commercial breaks or when the camera is away. If I ever got into fantasy that would be nice too. It seems like this could be available if I get the X-1 system (I have Comcast already), but I think it costs extra and I'd like a NASCAR fan's opinion if it's worth it.

http://www.xfinity.com/sports/nascar.html

Mainly a live leaderboard, preferably with favorite drivers and delta, so I can catch passes that happen during commercial breaks or when the camera is away. If I ever got into fantasy that would be nice too. It seems like this could be available if I get the X-1 system (I have Comcast already), but I think it costs extra and I'd like a NASCAR fan's opinion if it's worth it.

I have always been one of those that plunk myself in front of the television and just watch the scroll across the top of the screen to see positions, seconds behind the leader and lap down cars. I appreciate you giving me your perspective.

I upgraded to X1 not long ago, and I didn't see much of a change in my cable bill. I'd call Xfinity just to confirm how much it would be in your area, but it's definitely worth it if you can do the upgrade.

Final ratings for The Glen.....

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Watkins Glen (NY) earned a 2.3 final rating and 3.8 million viewers on USA Network Sunday afternoon, down 8% in ratings and 4% in viewership from last year on NBCSN (2.5, 4.0M) and down 26% and 22%, respectively, from 2014 on ESPN (3.1, 4.9M). The last time the race aired opposite the Olympics, 2012, it had a 2.8 and 4.5 million.

@jim_utter

Rating for Saturday's Xfinity race at Mid-Ohio down 10 percent from last year. (.70 to .63)

I am guessing the rating translates into less than a million viewers but I don't follow the series so IDK whether that is good, bad or about right.

"The average age over the past decade of National Football League and Major League Baseball viewers has increased by four and seven years, respectively, to 47 and 53, according to Ben Thompson, founder of the blog Stratechery."

Found this in an article about the Olympics and thought it was a good reference when comparing to NASCAR's audience. I thought I read that NASCAR's average age was 51 but I can't find anything to back that up.

Anyway, it appears all major sports have an aging viewership and most will likely have challenges ahead.

"The average age over the past decade of National Football League and Major League Baseball viewers has increased by four and seven years, respectively, to 47 and 53, according to Ben Thompson, founder of the blog Stratechery."

Found this in an article about the Olympics and thought it was a good reference when comparing to NASCAR's audience. I thought I read that NASCAR's average age was 51 but I can't find anything to back that up.

Anyway, it appears all major sports have an aging viewership and most will likely have challenges ahead.

http://opendorse.com/blog/2013-sports-fan-demographics/

Here is some info from 2013 that compares demographics between some sports and Nascar. The problem for Nascar is that over half its fans are over 55 and over and only 5% are 2-17 years of age and if the numbers are to be believed 14% of Nascar's fans are under 34

The NBA has 45% of its fans under 34, NFL 29%, MLS 40%, NHL 34% and MLB 24%.

Nascar's greatest problem is not the amount of people attending races or watching from home but the age of its fans as it appears they are dying off at a faster rate than they are being added.

Thanks for the info and after the June race being well received I thought this past race would do about the same as last August's event so I was surprised to see a whopping 20% drop in viewership. I have no guess as to why.
I was pretty surprised myself. I think there was a preseason game on FOX, that may not have been in the same time slot last year.

I was pretty surprised myself. I think there was a preseason game on FOX, that may not have been in the same time slot last year.

That would make sense as it would have siphoned off fans seeing a lot of the starters play for over a half.

http://opendorse.com/blog/2013-sports-fan-demographics/

Here is some info from 2013 that compares demographics between some sports and Nascar. The problem for Nascar is that over half its fans are over 55 and over and only 5% are 2-17 years of age and if the numbers are to be believed 14% of Nascar's fans are under 34

The NBA has 45% of its fans under 34, NFL 29%, MLS 40%, NHL 34% and MLB 24%.

Nascar's greatest problem is not the amount of people attending races or watching from home but the age of its fans as it appears they are dying off at a faster rate than they are being added.

Your link supports the quote I posted. The MLB has an average age of 53, and your data shows that they have more fans over 55+ than NASCAR does. Baseball is in worse shape than NASCAR right now. So is Golf. Golf and NASCAR are actually very similar in their rises to popularity and falls from the peak. Golf had Tiger Woods and now that he is basically gone, they are having their own issues, i.e. 63% of fans are over 55+.

I'm also not convinced you can get good data from people aged 2-17 pertaining to anything. Their likes and dislikes change too quickly.
It would be interesting to see the attendance records for those ages. Considering NASCAR has the highest average attendance for any sporting event, I'm willing to bet there are more kids going to NASCAR events than some of the other sports. With the new policies coming out for next year (Kids under 12 free for xfinity races, and $10 tickets to some cup races), I bet that attendance grows even bigger in the near future.

Other notes, NSACAR has the highest percentage of female fans, and the highest percentage of fans 35-54.
NASCAR will be around for a long time, just like golf and baseball. It will ebb and flow in fandom but always have a solid base.

The season's just too damn long.

Yup, I feel the same way too but I think most of Nascar's remaining fan base would be stoked if there was a midweek and a weekend race. IMO if Nascar is going to run 36 races a year and they expect to gain new and younger fans they need to have more races that seem to have broad appeal like Martinsville, Bristol, Darlington, the road courses and the plate tracks. I don't care for plate racing but a lot of people do so Nascar needs to give the people what they want.

Your link supports the quote I posted. The MLB has an average age of 53, and your data shows that they have more fans over 55+ than NASCAR does. Baseball is in worse shape than NASCAR right now. So is Golf. Golf and NASCAR are actually very similar in their rises to popularity and falls from the peak. Golf had Tiger Woods and now that he is basically gone, they are having their own issues, i.e. 63% of fans are over 55+.

I'm also not convinced you can get good data from people aged 2-17 pertaining to anything. Their likes and dislikes change too quickly.
It would be interesting to see the attendance records for those ages. Considering NASCAR has the highest average attendance for any sporting event, I'm willing to bet there are more kids going to NASCAR events than some of the other sports. With the new policies coming out for next year (Kids under 12 free for xfinity races, and $10 tickets to some cup races), I bet that attendance grows even bigger in the near future.

Other notes, NSACAR has the highest percentage of female fans, and the highest percentage of fans 35-54.
NASCAR will be around for a long time, just like golf and baseball. It will ebb and flow in fandom but always have a solid base.

I think the importance of the age 2-17 group is that normally if you can get them early you stand a better chance of retaining them throughout their lifespan. It is much easier to retain and maintain a current customer then it is to try and capture a new one.

It is a very good idea for Nascar to give tickets away or charge a nominal fee to younger people as some X and cup events redefine sparse when it comes to attendance. This is something that should have happened 8 years ago but hopefully it isn't too late to do some good.

The only stat that is important for Nascar today is the age of its fan base. When only 14% of your fans are under 35 it means you have a monumental task in front of you in trying to get that number up. Nascar did not get themselves into this mess overnight so it will be matter of years before they can move the needle with the youngsters.

I am posting a link to an article that is going on 6 years old but it shows that some of the issues Nascar faced back then are still with us today.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/auto-...cle_bbeee18b-79e7-5748-96ff-fa474e812df7.html

No, the season is just about right. Which is better: 36 Nascar races; or 24 Nascar races plus 12 bowling tournaments?

I would go with about 26 cup races and that is only due to personal preference as they can run 100 events and I can pick the 26 I want to see.

I think the article hits on a big issue in NASCAR. The cars themselves. While young kids may not be interested in cars in general, having 3 family sedans as your front and center product is not helping your cause. Heck not even the older crowd is excited about driving a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry, and they can't afford the SS. Next year's Malibu fits in with the other two cars in that you can't buy it with a V8 either. How are kids supposed to get excited about 4 cylinder engine in a family sedan?

Back
Top Bottom