2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

The season's just too damn long.

Ok I'm sorry, I take that back. The season isn't long enough. In fact, can we not have an offseason this year? Just keep NASCAR going through this winter please...please? I need something, anything, to take my mind off the incredible disappointment that is the NFL. :micro:

Your link supports the quote I posted. The MLB has an average age of 53, and your data shows that they have more fans over 55+ than NASCAR does. Baseball is in worse shape than NASCAR right now. So is Golf. Golf and NASCAR are actually very similar in their rises to popularity and falls from the peak. Golf had Tiger Woods and now that he is basically gone, they are having their own issues, i.e. 63% of fans are over 55+.

I'm also not convinced you can get good data from people aged 2-17 pertaining to anything. Their likes and dislikes change too quickly.
It would be interesting to see the attendance records for those ages. Considering NASCAR has the highest average attendance for any sporting event, I'm willing to bet there are more kids going to NASCAR events than some of the other sports. With the new policies coming out for next year (Kids under 12 free for xfinity races, and $10 tickets to some cup races), I bet that attendance grows even bigger in the near future.

Other notes, NSACAR has the highest percentage of female fans, and the highest percentage of fans 35-54.
NASCAR will be around for a long time, just like golf and baseball. It will ebb and flow in fandom but always have a solid base.
MLB is not in bad shape. If that link is to be believed, 24% of fans are 34 or younger, including 17% in the (18-34). Not really poor.

I can't imagine golf ever being that big in the younger demographics outside of the majors.

I think the article hits on a big issue in NASCAR. The cars themselves. While young kids may not be interested in cars in general, having 3 family sedans as your front and center product is not helping your cause. Heck not even the older crowd is excited about driving a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry, and they can't afford the SS. Next year's Malibu fits in with the other two cars in that you can't buy it with a V8 either. How are kids supposed to get excited about 4 cylinder engine in a family sedan?

I cannot get enthusiastic about a common car differentiated by decals as it makes no sense to me but I think I am 1 of about 10 people who take offense at this. What I find really strange is that the manufacturers endorse this silliness.

Ok I'm sorry, I take that back. The season isn't long enough. In fact, can we not have an offseason this year? Just keep NASCAR going through this winter please...please? I need something, anything, to take my mind off the incredible disappointment that is the NFL. :micro:

Regardless of the number of races run I think the season should end no later than the first week of NFL play. With NCAAF, the NFL, the World Cup of Hockey and the NHL knocking at the door I am like a kid at Christmas.

They need to cut deals to college kids to go to races. That's how NASCAR needs to hook people, get them in the seats because there is nothing like seeing a race live in my opinion, the power and speed are insane.

As a 23 year old currently I can tell you the biggest sports for my age group in order are; NFL, College Football, NBA, MLB, MLS. Bottom line is younger people are obsessed with football, everyone in Ohio watches every Buckeye game it seems

They need to cut deals to college kids to go to races. That's how NASCAR needs to hook people, get them in the seats because there is nothing like seeing a race live in my opinion, the power and speed are insane.

As a 23 year old currently I can tell you the biggest sports for my age group in order are; NFL, College Football, NBA, MLB, MLS. Bottom line is younger people are obsessed with football, everyone in Ohio watches every Buckeye game it seems

I think Nascar is in a position they have never been in before where they have to fight for market share and deliberately and intentionally sell, sell, sell the series. The days of new fans popping up like mushrooms in May are long gone as are the build it and they will come days. IDK how Nascar markets itself as I have never seen any of it so maybe they leave promotion and marketing up to the tracks. In many ways Nascar needs to be treated like a new product launch as the people who know about it are very familiar with but there is a huge untapped market that either has not heard of it or has misconceptions about it.

Regardless of the number of races run I think the season should end no later than the first week of NFL play. With NCAAF, the NFL, the World Cup of Hockey and the NHL knocking at the door I am like a kid at Christmas.

Sure; I'd completely agree with you any other day. End it on labor day at the Southern 500 and don't bother competing with football. I was just being dramatic since my NFL team's superbowl hopes were dashed in a span of 2 hours today. That's why I love that I still have NASCAR to watch for another 12(!) weeks. The 2 crew is going strong right into the chase baby!

Sure; I'd completely agree with you any other day. End it on labor day at the Southern 500 and don't bother competing with football. I was just being dramatic since my NFL team's superbowl hopes were dashed in a span of 2 hours today. That's why I love that I still have NASCAR to watch for another 12(!) weeks. The 2 crew is going strong right into the chase baby!

My team will be lucky to win 5-6 games but I love the game so bring it on!

Not sure why we need to end the season early. I sure don't have a problem catching each of the races along with each of the NFL, MLB & NHL games I want to watch. I have no problems multitasking.

One thing you never have to worry about when watching one of the other major sports, no NASCAR updates. They never take a moment during the Steelers game to give me an update on the race.

I think its time to end NASCAR on tv at labor day. I would rather have full stands and 55 entries all spring and summer then what it has now

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/08/nascar-ratings-down-nbcsn-michigan-viewership/

Free from rain and the Olympics for the first time in more than a month, NASCAR still hit a multi-year low at Michigan over the weekend.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Michigan earned a 2.1 final rating and 3.4 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday afternoon, down 19% in ratings and 21% in viewership from last year (2.6, 4.3M) and down 34% in both measures from 2014 on ESPN (3.2, 5.2M).

Kyle Larson‘s win ranks as the lowest rated edition of the race since at least 1998 and the least-watched since at least 2000, falling below the previous marks set last year.

Of the 19 races this season that can be compared to last year, Michigan was the 12th to post a multi-year low in ratings and/or viewership.

Excluding rainouts, four of the past five Sprint Cup races have posted declines in ratings and viewership, the lone exception being the Brickyard 400. Only one of those four races — Watkins Glen — aired opposite the Olympics.

While Sunday’s race did not face the Olympics, it did air somewhat formidable competition from the NFL preseason. The competing Chargers/Vikings game posted a 3.3 rating and 5.3 million viewers, easily topping NASCAR.

Bottom line. The NFL Rulz! Not gonna change. That's okay though. There's room for both. Even baseball too. And, soon the NHL. It's all good. Well, except for the NBA. You all can get that all over ya. :D

I would be fine with that if there were was the occasional mid-week short track sprint race.

A recommendation I would make to Nascar would be to look into the possibility of having 2 cup races in the same weekend at some of the current tracks. It may be a terrible idea or it may have merit but you could take races like Pocono, MIS, Loudon and maybe one other and have one race Saturday and another on Sunday. IMO, it could add value for the fans that have to travel long distances and there would be some natural rivalries and interests carried over from one day to the next. I think having a midweek race here and there would be a good idea too, especially if was carried on a main network, as new people would be exposed to Nascar and some may even like it.

Nascar is experiencing an unprecedented erosion of its fan base and obviously the status quo no longer works so it is time to start thinking way outside the box and try some different methods.

Bottom line. The NFL Rulz! Not gonna change. That's okay though. There's room for both. Even baseball too. And, soon the NHL. It's all good. Well, except for the NBA. You all can get that all over ya. :D

No question the NFL and some other programming will negatively impact Nascar viewership so, IMO, it would be a good idea for Nascar to avoid these conflicts whenever possible. I realize Nascar is big business and sometimes even the smallest of changes can be hard to implement but on the other hand you have men like Bruton Smith and Ross Perot who don't listen to others when they are told something can't be done. To me it seems like Brian France and his underlings are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic instead of proactively trying to grow the series.............rant over..........for now!

I've said this for a long time (and I think I got this idea from Richard Childress), we can easily cut a month of NFL competition from the schedule by 1) Running the Winston the same week as the Coke 600 and 2) Running 36 consecutive weeks. This would get the season over in October instead of November while maintaining the same number of races. While the teams might not like going so long without a break, I bet they'd be happy with another month of off-season.

In addition to less NFL competition, it gives people more time to anticipate the sport's return. We could cut even one more week by moving the Shootout race to Daytona 500 week, but I think there's something to be said for the tradition of SpeedWeeks.

Which do you think will get the higher ratings this weekend..... The Richmond Race or the Battle @ Bristol's NCAA Football broadcast?

Looks like it is the ABC Mother Ship for the football game vs. the NBC Sports Network channel for the race. I guess NBC waved the white flag going into this weekend.

NBC earned a 2.62 overnight for Bojangles 500, down 22% from a 3.36 in '15.

I find that surprising as I thought that based on the success of last year's event it would maintain or maybe have a modest gain.

Notre Dame-Texas. ~ 11 million viewers. Enough said.

Wow and if I was rating that game it would be 500 gazillion seeing the Fighting Amish lost to an un-ranked opponent!!!! In all seriousness things like that underscore the need for Nascar to get as many of its events away from anything to do with pigskin ASAP.

Whoops, got my days wrong. Forgot that Alabama was the Saturday game. The whole weekend of football ran together lol.

Whoops, got my days wrong. Forgot that Alabama was the Saturday game. The whole weekend of football ran together lol.

I have been on an unabated pigskin binge that continues Thursday night so I totally get it.

Who would rather watch college football then NASCAR. This shows what is wrong with America, not the policies but the people.

Bristol has a tough time trying to fill its seats for a NASCAR race. A NCAA Division I Football game; not so much.

As far as the viewing goes..... Multitask. Multiple tv's or PIP, side by side split screens. Fans need to get with the 90's.

@NBCSN earned a 1.5 overnight for Federated400 at RIR; '15 race got 1.7. ☞ @ABC earned a 3.6 for @BattleAtBristol, weekend's top CFB game.

For perspective I looked back at the 2002 ratings and this race drew 4.2 on TNT and in 2007 on ABC it also drew a 4.2 or 6.7 million viewers. In 2012 the race was on ABC and delayed 2 hours due to rain and there was also a 1 hour red flag period but the race still got a more than respectable 3.3. and 5.1 million viewers. Two years ago the race was on ESPN and fell to 4 million viewers and now has seemed to settle in around the 3 million mark.

Back
Top Bottom