2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

I'm sorry but if they bring hybrids and turbos to NASCAR, I'm out. At that point you might as well bring traction control and ABS braking. Heck, just turn them into RC cars and remove the driver all together.

"Saturday's IMSA race attracted a measly 33,000 viewers on Fox Sports 2 while the WEC race on Saturday evening averaged only 23,000 viewers."

Sorry, but how many households have FS2 let alone FS1?

"In contrast, NASCAR's Xfinity race from Chicagoland benefitted from a switch this year from NBCSN to NBC scoring a 1.1 rating with 1.7 million viewers which was up from a 0.73 rating and 1.1 million viewers in 2015."

Go figure, you put racing on a channel people actually have access to and ratings go up. It would be interesting to compare rating between racing on Fox and FS1, vs NBC and NBCSN. Not sure you could get a direct comparison, but I bet the races on Fox were the highest rated of the bunch. Unfortunately, NBC takes on the summer coverage when the racing isn't great.

2.538 million viewers for New Hampshire, down from 2.944 million last year.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-9-24-25-2016.html

On another thread I put my Larry Mc trend hat on and said if trends hold true the race should get about 2.5 million viewers. It looks like in 2018 we will see our first non delayed race race with less than 2 million watchers from home. If some had told me this even 5 years ago I would have laughed.

I'm sorry but if they bring hybrids and turbos to NASCAR, I'm out. At that point you might as well bring traction control and ABS braking. Heck, just turn them into RC cars and remove the driver all together.

"Saturday's IMSA race attracted a measly 33,000 viewers on Fox Sports 2 while the WEC race on Saturday evening averaged only 23,000 viewers."

Sorry, but how many households have FS2 let alone FS1?

"In contrast, NASCAR's Xfinity race from Chicagoland benefitted from a switch this year from NBCSN to NBC scoring a 1.1 rating with 1.7 million viewers which was up from a 0.73 rating and 1.1 million viewers in 2015."

Go figure, you put racing on a channel people actually have access to and ratings go up. It would be interesting to compare rating between racing on Fox and FS1, vs NBC and NBCSN. Not sure you could get a direct comparison, but I bet the races on Fox were the highest rated of the bunch. Unfortunately, NBC takes on the summer coverage when the racing isn't great.

Those channels are available to pretty much anyone who wants to subscribe to them.

From Jayski:

New Hampshire TV Ratings: NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from New Hampshire, the second race in the Chase For the Cup, had 2.5 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday afternoon -down 14% from last year, down 34% from 2014 on ESPN (3.9M), and the smallest audience in the history of the Chase (dates back to 2004). The previous low was set just one week earlier by the Chicago race (2.7M). Ratings dropped 12% from last year (1.77 to 1.55) and also ranked as the lowest in the history of the Chase. The previous mark was nearly a full point higher, a 1.64 for Chicago last week. Kevin Harvick's win ranks as the lowest rated fall New Hampshire race since at least 2000 and the least-watched since at least 2001, falling below the previous marks set last year.

Record lows for Brian France. Will he revert to old school racing or throw in a few more gimmicks in 2017? I think we all know the answer to that.

#10 minute caution clock 2017

He's got 9 years of a massive TV contract to make as much money as he can and then cash out. I don't think he's that worried.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

From Jayski:

New Hampshire TV Ratings: NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from New Hampshire, the second race in the Chase For the Cup, had 2.5 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday afternoon -down 14% from last year, down 34% from 2014 on ESPN (3.9M), and the smallest audience in the history of the Chase (dates back to 2004). The previous low was set just one week earlier by the Chicago race (2.7M). Ratings dropped 12% from last year (1.77 to 1.55) and also ranked as the lowest in the history of the Chase. The previous mark was nearly a full point higher, a 1.64 for Chicago last week. Kevin Harvick's win ranks as the lowest rated fall New Hampshire race since at least 2000 and the least-watched since at least 2001, falling below the previous marks set last year.

Record lows for Brian France. Will he revert to old school racing or throw in a few more gimmicks in 2017? I think we all know the answer to that.

#10 minute caution clock 2017

I would be surprised if some version of the egg timer doesn't appear in cup next year but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't either as Nascar can always used the yellow for debris.

I would be surprised if some version of the egg timer doesn't appear in cup next year but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't either as Nascar can always used the yellow for debris.

That didn't stop them from putting it in the truck series, the phony yellows aren't limited to cup. I have no doubt the chase will be reworked and at least one more goofy gimmick will be introduced. Maybe they'll reset points at homestead and have a winner take all deal.... Oh wait... :owquitit:

Maybe triple file restarts??? Or we flip a coin on whether or not to reverse the running order at halfway? Come on people, let's brainstorm.

I think ALL restarts should invert the running order. Really give a show as they push and shove
their way to the front. Go back to having rails from front to rear to protect the cars. More advertising space as well.

2.558 million viewers for Dover, down from 3.239 million last season.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-10-1-2-2016.html

Thanks for the link and after looking at the info here are some observations.

Saturday night racing is not a popular as Sunday afternoon but there are still a significant amount of available viewers based on those that watched college ball.

Out of 2.58 million viewers only 652,000 were in the preferred demo while UFC had 657,000 viewers but 394,000 were in the preferred demo.

This race has lost 1.2 million viewers in 2 years and over 2.5 million since 2007.

Saturday afternoon baseball games drew only 2.28 million viewers but posted a modest gain year over year. MLB also has a demo that is circling the drain.

This kind of makes sense because "back in the old days" baseball was the only sport. Today there are so many other options.

I used to watch MLB on TV and spent many a lazy afternoon at the ball park back when there were double headers. I drifted away because it was my perception that the game really slowed down and it ceased to be entertaining to me.

IDK what the issue is these days but I have heard MLB is becoming less American and I read a stat recently that said in 1979 on opening day 20% of the players were black and now it is only 6%. That may have something to do with it or nothing at all.

I used to watch MLB on TV and spent many a lazy afternoon at the ball park back when there were double headers. I drifted away because it was my perception that the game really slowed down and it ceased to be entertaining to me.

IDK what the issue is these days but I have heard MLB is becoming less American and I read a stat recently that said in 1979 on opening day 20% of the players were black and now it is only 6%. That may have something to do with it or nothing at all.

Yeah I used to know every player on my home team and most of the players on the other teams in the division, but now I don't even watch and couldn't name 5 players on my home team.

You are probably right about the game slowing down too. They need to cram more commericals in between half innings. I think I really stopped watching baseball when going to the game cost about $100 for parking, 2 beers, and 2 tickets in the rafters.

Thanks for posting that article, Aunty. Lots of questions in there, and not many answers. This quote really shocked me...

"Plus, live sports consistently draw the biggest audiences. Last year, 93 of TV’s top 100-rated shows were live sports programs. Ten years earlier, in 2005, live sports accounted for only 14 of the top 100."

It would be great news for Nascar if they could pin their problems on an election cycle as it would mean things were temporarily stagnant and would bounce back. Unfortunately Nascar has seen an unabated decline in interest for over a decade and the economy or fad fans can no longer be used as scapegoats nor can a Presidential election.

Yeah I used to know every player on my home team and most of the players on the other teams in the division, but now I don't even watch and couldn't name 5 players on my home team.

You are probably right about the game slowing down too. They need to cram more commericals in between half innings. I think I really stopped watching baseball when going to the game cost about $100 for parking, 2 beers, and 2 tickets in the rafters.

I used to love going to an afternoon double header on a sunny afternoon as the cheap seats were still 2 bucks and I think parking was 3 but that was 40 years ago. I understand MLB made some rules to speed up the game this year but IDK how it has worked out. I don't think anything should be done at a fast pace just for the sake of it but if you can cut out as much of the slowness as possible I think it makes for a better viewing experience. I think Nascar could do a much better job for some of the cautions that involve a spring rubber on the track or something minor like that. They don't need to take 12 minutes from the drop if the yellow back to going green again for something like that. Yes.....I have actually timed some of the stoppages for minor things and as fast as the go under green Nascar goes equally as slow under yellow.

I used to love going to an afternoon double header on a sunny afternoon as the cheap seats were still 2 bucks and I think parking was 3 but that was 40 years ago. I understand MLB made some rules to speed up the game this year but IDK how it has worked out. I don't think anything should be done at a fast pace just for the sake of it but if you can cut out as much of the slowness as possible I think it makes for a better viewing experience. I think Nascar could do a much better job for some of the cautions that involve a spring rubber on the track or something minor like that. They don't need to take 12 minutes from the drop if the yellow back to going green again for something like that. Yes.....I have actually timed some of the stoppages for minor things and as fast as the go under green Nascar goes equally as slow under yellow.

It's weird. You're supposed to get more patient as you get older, but while I used to be a kid who would sit and watch almost every Braves game (grew up in Atlanta, encountered Warchant there before FSU haha), I can no longer stand the glacial pace of baseball games. I thought I'd get back into it moving to a city with a professional team again, but 3 hour games on a daily basis are just too much for me. My interest waned by May. Rather than 12 minutes of action squeezed into three hours, at least NASCAR almost always has something going on, even if it's a pass for 25th.

It's weird. You're supposed to get more patient as you get older, but while I used to be a kid who would sit and watch almost every Braves game (grew up in Atlanta, encountered Warchant there before FSU haha), I can no longer stand the glacial pace of baseball games. I thought I'd get back into it moving to a city with a professional team again, but 3 hour games on a daily basis are just too much for me. My interest waned by May. Rather than 12 minutes of action squeezed into three hours, at least NASCAR almost always has something going on, even if it's a pass for 25th.

In some ways I have become more patient as I have got older but in others I have a short hook before it is on to something else. I wouldn't mind taking in a game at Wrigley, Fenway or Yankee Stadium but the expense and hassle isn't worth it to me and watching on TV bores me quickly.

I agree with you about Nascar as something is always going on even if the cameras don't show it.

Interesting. It seems to be completely backwards to the line of thinking on this board. It's good to read anyhow. Maybe there is hope yet?

It seems completely backward from what other sites and stats say. This guy is a saleman for @PANComm, and host of the@Frontstretch Podcast so IDK if he is skewing numbers or something else. The tweets also said that NFL viewing through week 4 is 149.1 million which is down 400,000 from last year.

It seems completely backward from what other sites and stats say. This guy is a saleman for @PANComm, and host of the@Frontstretch Podcast so IDK if he is skewing numbers or something else. The tweets also said that NFL viewing through week 4 is 149.1 million which is down 400,000 from last year.
I've read elsewhere that the NFL viewers are down. I'm guessing that's only because of the options other than television.

99,853. That’s the average attendance of a top division NASCAR race in the United States right now.
I've read elsewhere that the NFL viewers are down. I'm guessing that's only because of the options other than television.

Someone posted a link that said NFL viewership is down this year due to the election. It seems everyone has a theory.

To be fair to him we haven't been seeing the breakout of under 35 viewers in our weekly ratings updates.

99,853. That’s the average attendance of a top division NASCAR race in the United States right now.

Someone posted a link that said NFL viewership is down this year due to the election. It seems everyone has a theory.

I thought NASCAR stopped publishing attendance figures in 2012?

That seems like a huge number for attendance. Where is that from?

As far as the NFL goes..... Maybe that is what I read? IDK. I don't believe for a second though that the election has anything to so with it.

To be fair to him we haven't been seeing the breakout of under 35 viewers in our weekly ratings updates.

This forum has some people in the 18-34 group I really like to listen to as it gives me insight into what they are thinking and what is important to them. I think the majority of this board does not fit in the 18-34 demo and most are over 50 in all likelihood.

There were stats posted yesterday that showed a poor 18-49 demo so I doubt the 18-34 is any better.

That seems like a huge number for attendance. Where is that from?

As far as the NFL goes..... Maybe that is what I read? IDK. I don't believe for a second though that the election has anything to so with it.

My bad as that was something I thought I had deleted. It was information that was from a year ago that said 9% of Nascar fans were between the ages of 18-34 but also said average attendance was just south of 100K which we know is bogus. I was going to make the point that it is difficult to know the reliability of the info we read especially when the author has an agenda.

I thought NASCAR stopped publishing attendance figures in 2012?

They did so IDK where this this guy got his numbers from. I think the Daytona 500 is the only race that exceeds 100,000 fans and is the only track left that has 100K permanent seats. Even counting infield crowds I can't see 100K at a race even at Talladega.

They did so IDK where this this guy got his numbers from. I think the Daytona 500 is the only race that exceeds 100,000 fans and is the only track left that has 100K permanent seats. Even counting infield crowds I can't see 100K at a race even at Talladega.

I'll be honest I've never heard of the guy so I don't know how reliable a source he is, I just saw Parker Kligerman retweet the 2 I posted.

Hi, Matt Stallknecht here.

Let me give you some context to my credibility. PAN is a tech PR firm that also has a small presence in sports marketing/PR, so I am not a sales rep or anything like that. I do sports marketing analytics as part of my job to help stay fresh for clients that want to pursue sports verticals, and since NASCAR is my passion I heavily analyze all of the sport's key performance metrics including ratings.

All of the numbers I reported are based on publicly available data that can be found on ShowBuzzDaily.com, which is a site that provides weekly television ratings info. If you dig, you can find all of the demographic information that I referenced on Twitter.

To offer some perspective as to why 18-49 is down and why 18-34 is up, NASCAR has had big losses in the 35+ demo that are negatively affecting the total numbers.

However, that does not prevent the sport from achieving gains in the younger demo obviously, so despite the "overall" losses, NASCAR is in fact gaining ground with millennials. This is noteworthy because advertisers value 18-34 more so than 35+ by roughly 3-1 to 5-1 depending on the advertiser. In other words, a millennial in today's crazy media environment is worth almost 3-5x as much as a Gen Xer or Baby Boomer. So an advertiser will likely look at the recent ratings as a "win."

Hopefully this provides some color to the numbers and gives you all a sense of my credibility.

Let me give you some context to my credibility. PAN is a tech PR firm that also has a small presence in sports marketing/PR, so I am not a sales rep or anything like that. I do sports marketing analytics as part of my job to help stay fresh for clients that want to pursue sports verticals, and since NASCAR is my passion I heavily analyze all of the sport's key performance metrics including ratings.

All of the numbers I reported are based on publicly available data that can be found on ShowBuzzDaily.com, which is a site that provides weekly television ratings info. If you dig, you can find all of the demographic information that I referenced on Twitter.

To offer some perspective as to why 18-49 is down and why 18-34 is up, NASCAR has had big losses in the 35+ demo that are negatively affecting the total numbers.

However, that does not prevent the sport from achieving gains in the younger demo obviously, so despite the "overall" losses, NASCAR is in fact gaining ground with millennials. This is noteworthy because advertisers value 18-34 more so than 35+ by roughly 3-1 to 5-1 depending on the advertiser. In other words, a millennial in today's crazy media environment is worth almost 3-5x as much as a Gen Xer or Baby Boomer. So an advertiser will likely look at the recent ratings as a "win."

Hopefully this provides some color to the numbers and gives you all a sense of my credibility.
Hey, welcome aboard. It's always good to get an insider's view.

I think advertisers have long preferred targeting the younger market, whatever it may be called at the time. Not to insult any of our Gen X / Y / Millennial members, but we older folks are just tighter fisted and less easily swayed.

I appreciate the info and hope you stick around and continue to contribute. I looked around the site but only saw the 18-49 demo posted so if you have time and are inclined to post a direct link to the info that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom