2016 Talladega - Alabama 500 - Pre Race Thread

They are. I think all they get to do is change the oil.
The following work list will be allowed: 1. Shut off electrical switches and master power switch;
2. Remove radio;
3. Check air pressure in tires;
4. Cover the car; and,
5. Crew members exit garage and garage doors close.

Pit road selection will be immediately after the last car has qualified.
Procedure for race day for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams:
Garage Stall A maximum of two (2) crew members per car, accompanied by a NASCAR Official, will be allowed in the garage stall. Below are the procedures that will be completed in the garage stall:

Teams May: 1. Plug in oil heater (if teams use a generator, it must remain outside the garage);
2. Open hood;
3. Prime oil system;
4. Back car out of garage to start;
5. Turn master switch on;
6. Open oil cooler bypass valve (optional)’
7. Start engine;
8. Close hood;
9. Set tire pressure;
10. Torque wheels;
11. Install radio and water bottle;
12. Remove or repair tape on front of car (i.e. grille, valance, brake ducts.); and
13. If applicable, BST or Pi Research may replace equipment batteries under NASCAR supervision.

Teams May NOT:
1. Enter the garage without a NASCAR Official present;
2. Jack up any part of the car;
3. Add water or pressurize the cooling system;
4. Climb inside the car;
5. Adjust wedge bolts, shocks or sway bars;
6. Add fuel, oil or brake fluid;
7. Remove air box; or
8. Adjust fenders, spoiler or any body components.

I believe it was parity. One setup instead of running one for qualifying and another for the race.
It was more for cost cutting.

Jayski is usually current.
Well yes, I agree , but the impound page was last updated for the 2013 season, and how many times has NASCAR change the rule book just this year :laugh:

But then why do it only at selected tracks?

They started with all the tracks and then something changed so they only do it for super speedways. I don't remember what it was that made them back off. Probably some rules change.

They started with all the tracks and then something changed so they only do it for super speedways. I don't remember what it was that made them back off. Probably some rules change.
This is whats stated , its from 2005, but explains the change

• NASCAR overhauling its impound rules: The procedures were implemented for Nextel Cup races this season as a cost-cutting move and were used at more than half of the events. An impound weekend typically featured Friday practice, Saturday qualifying and a Sunday race. Following qualifying, cars were impounded and could not be altered until the race without penalty. Teams that opted to work on their cars before the race were forced to start at the back of the field. At non-impound races, cars could be worked on after qualifying and before the race.
      "This all boiled down to the balance between the show -- the garage area -- and the racetracks," NASCAR president Mike Helton said Friday, two days before the season-ending Ford 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. "It just didn't fit right for right now." The offseason change relieved teams from the need to have race and qualifying setups on cars. NASCAR officials had announced plans to use the current impound procedures for most of the 2006 Cup schedule. But the sudden impound changes are likely related to the ongoing negotiations between NASCAR and its television partners. NASCAR's current TV contracts expire at the end of the 2006 season, and it has been in negotiations with several networks on a new deal. The networks in negotiations have indicated a desire for increased on-track activity that could be broadcast. "In the overall scheme of things, it didn't fit the way we thought it would right now," Helton said. "We just wanted to back off that and take a look at it from a different angle. We just haven't found the right balance yet."(ESPN.com/AP)(11-19-2005)

I get that, but wouldn't they just start in the back if they chose to switch it over to race trim.
Yup, I think that would fall under the "unapproved changes" rule :laugh:

I like Lee Spencer a lot. I am disappointed with her on this one. The jack screw was not hollow. The head was drilled to 5.5 inch specs on a 8 inch bolt. A screw up, and not a performance gain per Scott Miller. Back in the holster please. Nothing to see here.
Confused a little. According to the USA Today report: Pearn said the team was changing a spring on Friday and grabbed a 5.5-inch screw instead of an 8-inch screw. That ended up lowering the center of gravity on the left front of the car, which likely wouldn’t help the team. Wouldn't it be fairly obvious that the new screw was different than the old one? I'm assuming that they are talking about 5.5 length vs. 8 in. Wouldn't lowering the COG help even a little? I kind of have a hard time buying the reasoning, besides it was in violation so it should be having a penalty. Next time double check.

How TF was the 55 so quick in the first quali session? Are we just going to ignore that car being 3 seconds faster than it should have been and over a full second than anyone else? What was that all about?

Note: All times are ET

SUNDAY, OCT. 23:

PRE-RACE SCHEDULE
—12:00:00 p.m.: NSCS Driver/Crew Chief Meeting (Drivers Meeting Room)
—1:25:00 p.m.: NSCS Drivers Introductions
—2:00:00 p.m.: Presentation of Colors by: Alabama National Guard
—2:00:20 p.m.: Invocation by: Reverend Billy Dickey, Alabama Raceway Ministry
—2:01:00 p.m.: National Anthem: 313th United States Army Brass Quintet, Birmingham, AL (Signed by: Kristen Lathem, Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind)
—2:02:15 p.m.: Fly-By: B-1 Lancer, 354th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX (Turn 4 to Turn 1)
—2:03:00 p.m.: "This is Talladega" by Grant Lynch, Chairman of Talladega Superspeedway
—2:07:15 p.m.: "Drivers, Start Your Engines" by: Bobby Allison, four-time Talladega winner and leader of the Alabama Gang
—2:19:15 p.m.: Green Flag – Hellmann’s 500 (188 Laps, 500 Miles)

ON TRACK

-- 2 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Hellmann's 500 (188 laps, 500.08 miles), NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (
Watch live)
-- 5 p.m. approx.: Post-Sprint Cup Series race

My traditional coffee cup for all restrictor plate races.....

3499dc2fccdecd7c89c45b47f6f8b493.jpg

How TF was the 55 so quick in the first quali session? Are we just going to ignore that car being 3 seconds faster than it should have been and over a full second than anyone else? What was that all about?
Sandbagging?

Qualifying position at this track doesnt mean jack really.

Something fishy there. The 55 ran their first lap at 49.32, and then in the pole shoot-out, they ran 50.85 (slower by 1.53 seconds!). I don't know jack about qualifying set-up, but I just can't fathom the spread between those two laps. It is as if Cole Pearn (or Smoky Yunick) built the motor. But if it was Cole Pearn, please understand it was not intentional..:oops:

The Joe Gibbs Racing crew of Kyle Busch setting up their crash cart. The Chase teams have practiced rebuilding cars just in case.

CvdrjJiWYAETaKb.jpg:large

Dave Marcis & Terry Labonte lead the series in starts at Talladega with 61. Tony Stewart leads all active drivers with 34 starts.

Back
Top Bottom