All-Star --- RACE thread

If this is the case for Joey, I dont see the reason to turn a nose up to anyone throwing $100k at a charity. It takes a cold miserable soul to do that.

Besides, we dont even know the situation. He may donate personally rather than the aforementioned method. Either way, Im glad its going to charity rather than throwing it away on material posessions.
Well he does have his own foundation

If this is the case for Joey, I dont see the reason to turn a nose up to anyone throwing $100k at a charity. It takes a cold miserable soul to do that.

Besides, we dont even know the situation. He may donate personally rather than the aforementioned method. Either way, Im glad its going to charity rather than throwing it away on material posessions.
I'm not at all trying to shy people away from donating to charity....any money donated is better than nothing. Just wanted to throw a reality check in there for those who think 100% of donations actually make it to a charity.

Well, that was the biggest cluster**** I've ever witnessed. Reading through this thread shows me it played badly on tv - believe me, it was just as bad in person. Totally ridiculous. Talk about a buzz kill when they stopped them to check the lugs.
Christ that whole mess was terrible.

Well, that was the biggest cluster**** I've ever witnessed. Reading through this thread shows me it played badly on tv - believe me, it was just as bad in person. Totally ridiculous. Talk about a buzz kill when they stopped them to check the lugs.
Christ that whole mess was terrible.

Sorry you spent money on it. Go to the 600 instead next time. That's what I did. Way more enjoyable experience and about 3x as much racing. Glad the tix to the all-star race I went to were comp'd. Lol

Hopefully NASCAR wakes up and goes to a format that eliminates drivers after every segment. Then there would be no confusion or sandbagging.

Final segment....10 (or less) drivers, 10 laps, any pit strategy. Checkers or wreckers. Let's see which driver has the biggest balls.

LOLOL
image.jpg

Just finished the race, I have no words for what I just watched, holy ****!

Lmao why didn't Denny and Co overrule Brad, clearly they had majority.

I never saw drivers on Twitter supporting it, merely saying that BradK came up with it.

Lmao why didn't Denny and Co overrule Brad, clearly they had majority.

Often times, what drivers like often results in a very bad product for fans.

It's the biggest challenge for promoters. In short track racing, you see it all the time. Some tracks have 30 car fields and 20 fans and other tracks have 5,000 fans and six car fields. Drivers do not want a show that will please the fans, and fans won't enjoy what the drivers like.

I often point out races like Indianapolis and Chicago as events drivers love. Usually boring as hell for fans.

Hopefully NASCAR wakes up and goes to a format that eliminates drivers after every segment. Then there would be no confusion or sandbagging.

Final segment....10 (or less) drivers, 10 laps, any pit strategy. Checkers or wreckers. Let's see which driver has the biggest balls.

I enjoyed the elimination format in 2003.

Don't reveal how many get eliminated after each segment and don't revel how many get inverted. And the winner of each segment automatically advances to the final segment.

what bothered me is that just like us the drivers had no clue what was going on
Those cars 1 lap down should have got the wave around the first time....

Don't reveal how many get eliminated after each segment and don't revel how many get inverted. And the winner of each segment automatically advances to the final segment.
Yes, this, lets give the elimination and inversion format a try again for year

So tired of Hemline's whinging about every ******* thing.
I kind of agree with him this time though. NBC Sports posted a lot of the drivers' post-race comments on their website, and it's hard to disagree with Denny here...

Denny Hamlin – finished 9th: “I think when you start to set rules on you can pit at this time, but you have to do it before this or that and then the caution comes that you don’t expect like we saw then it puts cars laps down. I don’t know. How do you keep up at home to be honest with you? I knew when it took about 10 minutes to explain the rules in the driver’s meeting that it was going to be a complicated night. All this is to give the fans a great finish and we’re trying to fabricate something for them to look at this All-Star race and say that it’s exciting. You want to create a last lap pass every race you can, but you also don’t want to get too goofy trying to create it.”

The others...

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/05...-saturdays-sprint-all-star-race-in-charlotte/

I had a bad race day yesterday because everything I wanted to PLAY out, FIZZLED out.

Buuuuuutttt..........2 really good things I can take away from this event are as follows.
#1 The areo rules are working! Yes I want the cars to look stock and yes it's not perfect yet, but we are definately headed the right way!
#2 For all the whining and complaining we do about Drivers A, B and C, I can't think of ANY All-Star event where the participants want to win so badly as ours! Every other sport holds a walk through autograph session/event. We might have seen a real mess last night, but there wasn't one single driver out there that didn't give it their all. Including Danica (Blah)

Jenna Fryer ‏@JennaFryer
Scott Miller says Kenseth situation "was unique, and we didn't have a mechanism in our procedures to correct it."

It may sound like I am jesting but in many cases I believe a group of 5th graders sitting around a table possess far better critical thinking skills then Nascar. As I have always maintained if you looked up the definition of "Unintended Consequences" you would see a Nascar logo.

I never saw drivers on Twitter supporting it, merely saying that BradK came up with it.

Often times, what drivers like often results in a very bad product for fans.

It's the biggest challenge for promoters. In short track racing, you see it all the time. Some tracks have 30 car fields and 20 fans and other tracks have 5,000 fans and six car fields. Drivers do not want a show that will please the fans, and fans won't enjoy what the drivers like.

I often point out races like Indianapolis and Chicago as events drivers love. Usually boring as hell for fans.

IDK who came up with the format but BKez has never struck me as the sharpest knife in the drawer so maybe he is at fault.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ano-dale-earnhardt-jr-penske-racing/84735522/
Jeff wrote what I thought last night --- it was good on paper, but didn't work in reality.

Jeff Gluck
Personally, I think it's good that NASCAR came out and said, Hey, this scenario slipped through the cracks. Our bad. Was good in theory.

It sounds like the format fell through gaping holes as opposed to cracks.

The format itself wasn't bad. NASCAR just ****** up with the Kenseth thing and that became the catalyst for almost every other issue. If they had let those cars get the waive around after Kenseth pitted to take his penalty, we wouldn't even be talking about how bad the format was. I don't see how it was that different than the early 2000s formats that required a pit stop, eliminated drivers, and required a field inversion in the 3rd segment.

The format itself wasn't bad. NASCAR just ****** up with the Kenseth thing and that became the catalyst for almost every other issue. If they had let those cars get the waive around after Kenseth pitted to take his penalty, we wouldn't even be talking about how bad the format was. I don't see how it was that different than the early 2000s formats that required a pit stop, eliminated drivers, and required a field inversion in the 3rd segment.
Exactly when those cars pitted it screwed everything else up for the rest of the night. This format really was not at all confusing, those guys just needed to get back on the lead lap and then you don't only have 2 cars up front for the final segment. If we did it over again everything would of been fine. It was more a fact of teams messing up then the format, people just want to blame nascar for stuff like usual. But it all stems once again from the 20 team having horrible communication skills.

Exactly when those cars pitted it screwed everything else up for the rest of the night. This format really was not at all confusing, those guys just needed to get back on the lead lap and then you don't only have 2 cars up front for the final segment. If we did it over again everything would of been fine. It was more a fact of teams messing up then the format, people just want to blame nascar for stuff like usual. But it all stems once again from the 20 team having horrible communication skills.

NASCAR did have a chance to save it, they could've just given those cars a wave around and trapped Matt as the only car a lap down. NASCAR definitely screwed up, but the screw up was in officiating, not the actual format.

It sounds like the format fell through gaping holes as opposed to cracks.

Really, you had one failing to pit under green in the first 47 laps trapping half the field down a lap as a probable scenario? Like really?

Sorry, the odds of someone failing to follow the damn rules that badly were like 100000000 to 1.

I get it, it ended up ruining the race, but the idea that this scenario was something that should have been expect is stupid. The majority of the field were able to follow the rules. Unfortunately, there was one who couldn't.

I had a bad race day yesterday because everything I wanted to PLAY out, FIZZLED out.

Buuuuuutttt..........2 really good things I can take away from this event are as follows.
#1 The areo rules are working! Yes I want the cars to look stock and yes it's not perfect yet, but we are definately headed the right way!
#2 For all the whining and complaining we do about Drivers A, B and C, I can't think of ANY All-Star event where the participants want to win so badly as ours! Every other sport holds a walk through autograph session/event. We might have seen a real mess last night, but there wasn't one single driver out there that didn't give it their all. Including Danica (Blah)

Did that pain ya, Mr 97? ;) :p

Really, you had one failing to pit under green in the first 47 laps trapping half the field down a lap as a probable scenario? Like really?

Sorry, the odds of someone failing to follow the damn rules that badly were like 100000000 to 1.

I get it, it ended up ruining the race, but the idea that this scenario was something that should have been expect is stupid. The majority of the field were able to follow the rules. Unfortunately, there was one who couldn't.

How hard is it to stop Kenseth on the apron and let the field by? Scoring mistakes happen, this is how you fix it. They've done it before.

I kind of agree with him this time though. NBC Sports posted a lot of the drivers' post-race comments on their website, and it's hard to disagree with Denny here...

Denny Hamlin – finished 9th: “I think when you start to set rules on you can pit at this time, but you have to do it before this or that and then the caution comes that you don’t expect like we saw then it puts cars laps down. I don’t know. How do you keep up at home to be honest with you? I knew when it took about 10 minutes to explain the rules in the driver’s meeting that it was going to be a complicated night. All this is to give the fans a great finish and we’re trying to fabricate something for them to look at this All-Star race and say that it’s exciting. You want to create a last lap pass every race you can, but you also don’t want to get too goofy trying to create it.”

The others...

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/05...-saturdays-sprint-all-star-race-in-charlotte/
If Denny just wanted to explain himself, or counter with something else, that's fine. Unfortunately, he took the opportunity (imo) to take a shot. Which is par for the course for his tweeter stuff. Guy is the most passive aggressive out there.

I did not see the race but the whole manner in which the rules of this fiasco were dreamed up smacks of a guy who refused to put down the pipe. I respect your opinion if you feel that the format Nascar used was not convoluted and prone to unintended consequences but the more rules you make up, absurd or otherwise, the more you leave yourself open to looking like a laughingstock......something Nascar has excelled at for years.

If Denny just wanted to explain himself, or counter with something else, that's fine. Unfortunately, he took the opportunity (imo) to take a shot. Which is par for the course for his tweeter stuff. Guy is the most passive aggressive out there.
Maybe Monster girls didn't party with him this weekend? :idunno: :D

How hard is it to stop Kenseth on the apron and let the field by? Scoring mistakes happen, this is how you fix it. They've done it before.

I agree NASCAR should have just thought on their feet and gave all those guys their laps back.

But then again, can you blame them for not doing it? People already bitch all the time about how NASCAR makes the rules up as they go. So now if they all of a sudden make up a special wave around rule on the spot, the fans who love to bitch about NASCAR making things up on the go, would literally have ACTUAL proof of NASCAR making up the rules on the go.

It wasn't well thought out. Like no one thought one guy would fail to make a damn pit stop in the allotted 47 laps that everyone else was able to meet. And the silly, "EVERYONE MUST PIT AFTER THE 1ST SEGMENT" rule made the wave around impossible. Stupid for sure. But the idea that it was a highly predictable result is just laughable.

I did not see the race but the whole manner in which the rules of this fiasco were dreamed up smacks of a guy who refused to put down the pipe. I respect your opinion if you feel that the format Nascar used was not convoluted and prone to unintended consequences but the more rules you make up, absurd or otherwise, the more you leave yourself open to looking like a laughingstock......something Nascar has excelled at for years.

Lol, glad to know that someone who didn't watch the damn race is telling me how the format was convoluted.

When in reality, it really wasn't. It just turned into a disaster when one driver was unable to meet the simple rule of pitting under green on one of the first 47 laps.

I unlike most, understood the race was a freakin exhibition meant to entertain people. So the only thing I was looking for was some good racing and that's exactly what we got for the most part. And of course the drivers didn't like it because the race was so different from usually, but then again this race wasn't for the drivers. It was an exhibition for the fans to see the best drivers in a race where the results really don't matter. Guess what, I was entertained for the most part.

Hell, confusing these drivers and crew chiefs actually makes things more entertaining. It lets us see them thinking on their feet.

Back
Top Bottom