All-Star --- RACE thread

Really, you had one failing to pit under green in the first 47 laps trapping half the field down a lap as a probable scenario? Like really?

Sorry, the odds of someone failing to follow the damn rules that badly were like 100000000 to 1.

I get it, it ended up ruining the race, but the idea that this scenario was something that should have been expect is stupid. The majority of the field were able to follow the rules. Unfortunately, there was one who couldn't.
Calling a big fat BS :bsflag:on those odds as we've had this format once had it occurred the very first time.hell Edwards and a couple other cars barely made it.

Lol, glad to know that someone who didn't watch the damn race is telling me how the format was convoluted.

When in reality, it really wasn't. It just turned into a disaster when one driver was unable to meet the simple rule of pitting under green on one of the first 47 laps.

I unlike most, understood the race was a freakin exhibition meant to entertain people. So the only thing I was looking for was some good racing and that's exactly what we got for the most part. And of course the drivers didn't like it because the race was so different from usually, but then again this race wasn't for the drivers. It was an exhibition for the fans to see the best drivers in a race where the results really don't matter. Guess what, I was entertained for the most part.

Hell, confusing these drivers and crew chiefs actually makes things more entertaining. It lets us see them thinking on their feet.

The whole event is contrived and convoluted to me but obviously there are people who enjoyed it and I think that's great. No one is right or wrong just people voicing a personal preference. NASCAR will change the rules again next year and some will and some won't like it.

The whole event is contrived and convoluted to me but obviously there are people who enjoyed it and I think that's great. No one is right or wrong just people voicing a personal preference. NASCAR will change the rules again next year and some will and some won't like it.
It's was contrived and convoluted, there should be no question of that. But like you said, whether one enjoyed it or not is another matter. The general climate in person wasn't a very positive seeming one but perhaps, with commercial breaks, carefully directed camera shots and the like, it was a decent show? The lug checking fiasco was a buzz kill though. Really stopped the flow.

... It just turned into a disaster when one driver was unable to meet the simple rule of pitting under green on one of the first 47 laps. ...
The simple rule was pitting under green in the first segment. My understanding was the segment was 50 laps, not 47. NASCAR dropped the ball when it failed to consider a late caution.

NASCAR should have known to phrase the pit requirement more precisely. Jeff Burton and Frank Stoddard made fools of them years ago by taking advantage of a poorly-worded pit requirement. I wonder, was the #20 team planning on pulling the same last-lap stunt?

The simple rule was pitting under green in the first segment. My understanding was the segment was 50 laps, not 47. NASCAR dropped the ball when it failed to consider a late caution.

NASCAR should have known to phrase the pit requirement more precisely. Jeff Burton and Frank Stoddard made fools of them years ago by taking advantage of a poorly-worded pit requirement. I wonder, was the #20 team planning on pulling the same last-lap stunt?

The pit window was 47 laps from the start. Period. It was phrased very clearly. Matt Kenseth and co just couldn't follow it.

The point wasn't wait til lap 47 to pit. The point was, if you wait til lap 47 to pit and a caution comes out, well then maybe you shouldn't have waited as long. Like it or not, the rules especially about pit stops we're pretty damn clear. Some just pushed the limit and made the race a disaster for half the field .I mean no matter how much Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin complain, 95% of the field we're able to comply with the rules in the first segment. 1 team wasn't.

Blaming NASCAR for that is silly.

It's was contrived and convoluted, there should be no question of that. But like you said, whether one enjoyed it or not is another matter. The general climate in person wasn't a very positive seeming one but perhaps, with commercial breaks, carefully directed camera shots and the like, it was a decent show? The lug checking fiasco was a buzz kill though. Really stopped the flow.

Maybe so on the lug nuts.

But I hope it continues. Drivers asked for it. So damn they are gonna get it.

Not to mention, watching Gibbs squirm over and over again because they constantly skirt those rules will be pretty entertaining. Especially if it happens to Kyle Busch. He might kill someone.

I just can't imagine the lug nut checking thing as it makes about as much sense as checking the driver's water bottles.

What a cluster fruck that would be if they did the nuts check during the 600 or any other race, although, that would make the race off of pit road interesting.

Kind of thought that this was NASCAR's way of saying, "Want your nuts checked? Okay here ya go...." In essence, sticking it to the Driver's Council. Would anybody have bitched if they had not done said nut check?

Another smart move by NASCAR. They have a dwindling fan base and decide to punish the drivers but in the end, it punishes the fans. Had I been a first timer or not a rooting interest for a driver who tuned into that garbage last night I would have turned the channel in a heartbeat. Also, It's obvious by the fines/penalties NASCAR has put in place for a missing lug nut that indeed NASCAR is sticking it to the teams.

Last edited:
I missed the all-star race Saturday night due to a long-running nap.

Anyway I just got to see the replay on FS1 and since I had already read this race thread it was even more of a hoot !! I loved the comments from the booth. Also loved Dale Jr's comment comparing the race to the first time he tried a remote control helicopter - LOL.

Only negative was that the 22 car still won ;^)

I need to watch it again sober but even a few sheets to the wind I could keep up....don't see what was so hard? Now the 20 not pitting and how it was handled with cars he still had a lap down was messed up and hat falls on Nascar not to prepare for that scenario but you can't prepare for EVERY scenario. Wasn't handled right and because of that the last segment was screwed up and could have been better.

But I think it's fine. Do it again next year with the lessons learned and it will go 10 times better.

@beantownkid10, I'm back to my previous position.

"There is a mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires (teams can choose to take two or four) during the opening 50 laps."

That's the whole segment, not the first 47 laps. Anyone have the pit stall diagram, and where the #20 pitted in relation to the S/F line? It sure looks like they were trying to pull the Burton / Stoddard trick, and NASCAR flat forgot its own history.

"There is a mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires (teams can choose to take two or four) during the opening 50 laps."

That's the whole segment, not the first 47 laps. Anyone have the pit stall diagram, and where the #20 pitted in relation to the S/F line? It sure looks like they were trying to pull the Burton / Stoddard trick, and NASCAR flat forgot its own history.

TV was saying it had to be before lap 47 so I'm sure all the teams were told that as well.

Don't spend too much time trying to gain an understanding of the rules form last weekend. You'll never see them again. Just a hunch.
I'm mostly trying to figure out what the #20 was planning by staying out so long. But, as you say, next year will likely be a different set of gimmicks.

"We ran into a situation where our race procedures didn't give us the opportunity for a wave-around, and it created a lot of confusion," Miller said. "It was a very unique race situation and we did not have enough mechanisms in our race procedure to correct that."

Let's see who can guess who said that....

I'm mostly trying to figure out what the #20 was planning by staying out so long. But, as you say, next year will likely be a different set of gimmicks.
I think they should really shake things up. Literately. Take 20 of the dumbest ideas that can be thought of. Write each one down on a napkin, in honor of NASCAR's original points system idea created @ the Streamline Hotel in Florida. Take all of the napkins and place them into a paper bag. Shake it up, add some dog crap and set it on fire on Brian's front porch and ring the doorbell. Wait for Brian to put down his scotch and run to the front door to stomp it out. Whatever napkins remain become the new All Star format.

I think they should really shake things up. Literately. Take 20 of the dumbest ideas that can be thought of. Write each one down on a napkin, in honor of NASCAR's original points system idea created @ the Streamline Hotel in Florida. Take all of the napkins and place them into a paper bag. Shake it up, add some dog crap and set it on fire on Brian's front porch and ring the doorbell. Wait for Brian to put down his scotch and run to the front door to stomp it out. Whatever napkins remain become the new All Star format.
:XXROFL:

As if BZF would put his drink down. He'd carry it to the door and dump it on the bag, inadvertently ensure the complete destruction of all napkin. Those that the alcohol didn't ignite would be too soggy to read.

Good stuff, man.

Hilarious! :lol2:

Don't spend too much time trying to gain an understanding of the rules form last weekend. You'll never see them again. Just a hunch.
Hope not....wouldn't be that hard to understand after a year under their belts.

They were pitted after the s/f line.

http://www.jayski.com/stats/2016/pdfs/allstar2016pitstalls.pdf

What's been reported is a plan to keep track position until the last moment and pit on 47. Via radio, Ratcliff told Kenseth he had questioned officials about a late caution, just the situation that happened. He said he was told if cars were still out they'd red flag it so the stops could be made under green.

Miller has as much as admitted NASCAR wasn't prepared for said situation – but, of course, it was clear to any “fan” who read the rules they should have anticipated the caution and stopped before it flew....................................

Hope not....wouldn't be that hard to understand after a year under their belts.

I'm sure it's just me but.....

tumblr_inline_mga3nt1Kv01qzcf6f_zps709bd106.gif~c200

To be honest, it wouldn't hurt my feelings much if they did away with the ASR altogether. Probably the 2nd worst all-star event in professional sports behind the Pro Bowl.

I get it...we don't like change or what we don't understand. For some it's just scary....
I get why you're defending it, one of your boys came up with it and both of your boys finished 1-2 because of it. But the vast majority of people found it confusing/stupid, and it's highly unlikely this format will be used again next year.

Only reason it was confusing this year was the screw up with the 20 car. If they had just penalized him and gave the others cars the wave-around, it would have been fine. I believe we will see it again, maybe tweaked and more explanation of potential scenarios.

I know the teams are smart enough to follow the rules and make it work. And NASCAR is smart enough to prepare for other scenarios. Look forward to next year!!

Back
Top Bottom