What happens when Junior retires?

I think Chase Elliott will be the new Dale Jr. Put the son of a legend in a Hendrick car and watch the Most Popular Driver awards pile up.

JG impact on TV ratings???
Petty's operation made the transition but it still hasn't been able to break into a good middle team operation.
When I said Petty Enterprises had made a successful transition, I was referring to the transition from founder Lee Petty to being managed by Richard. I don't know when that happened, but I'd regard Petty Enterprises as a top tier team into the mid-1980's.

Will not be as serious as people fear. 20 other drivers have strong followings.

^ Sorry, my post was not very clear. The 2016 TV ratings are weak despite the vastly improved quality of the racing. Do y'all think we are seeing a Jeff Gordon retirement hangover depressing TV ratings?

JG impact on TV ratings???

When I said Petty Enterprises had made a successful transition, I was referring to the transition from founder Lee Petty to being managed by Richard. I don't know when that happened, but I'd regard Petty Enterprises as a top tier team into the mid-1980's.
You are correct in that respect, but in a more modern era Petty had the team going downhill. It never has and at this point I don't think it will make being a top tier team. The major teams have the money and equipment to get the best of the best. The mid tier teams get the rest.

^ Sorry, my post was not very clear. The 2016 TV ratings are weak despite the vastly improved quality of the racing. Do y'all think we are seeing a Jeff Gordon retirement hangover depressing TV ratings?
I'm sure it's contributed, but that was the trend in ratings anyways. From 2013-2015 viewership average dropped from 5.8m to 5.3m to 5.1m. 24 of the 28 races last year that could be compared to 2014 dropped in ratings and/or viewership and it wasn't just the shift of ESPN towards FS1/NBCSN.

I'm sure it's contributed, but that was the trend in ratings anyways. From 2013-2015 viewership average dropped from 5.8m to 5.3m to 5.1m. 24 of the 28 races last year that could be compared to 2014 dropped in ratings and/or viewership and it wasn't just the shift of ESPN towards FS1/NBCSN.
The biggest drop was between 2013 and 2014, a year before the new TV deal took effect. I still think the implementation of the current chase format that year had a lot to do with it. The regular season races just don't seem as important anymore.

Will Junior win a Championship guys? Will he hold on until he does or will he hold on, never secure it and then retire on a low? He is not my driver but I like him and am desperate for him to clinch the Sprint Cup at some point. I am still very new to the sport but immediately he is recognisable as a talisman and after reading all about his great father I can see why.

I think y'all better check out the TV ratings and Track attendance in the past 10 years. The absence of drivers like Earnhardt, sr, Rusty, King Richard, DW, Labonte's, Elliott, etc are surely missed. That along with Brian running the sport into the ground has changed the sport greatly. The sport is/has lost the older crowd and the younger generation hasn't shown the interest as previous generations.

Some will make all kinds of excuses for the decline of the sport but the fact is that is has changed and is in decline. Earnhardt Jr when he retires will certainly not help Nascar.

I think y'all better check out the TV ratings and Track attendance in the past 10 years. The absence of drivers like Earnhardt, sr, Rusty, King Richard, DW, Labonte's, Elliott, etc are surely missed. That along with Brian running the sport into the ground has changed the sport greatly. The sport is/has lost the older crowd and the younger generation hasn't shown the interest as previous generations.

Some will make all kinds of excuses for the decline of the sport but the fact is that is has changed and is in decline. Earnhardt Jr when he retires will certainly not help Nascar.
I'd have to agree with this. I'm 29 and even at my age I have come across very few who are interested in NASCAR or even auto racing in general. I've attempted to introduce a few with one real success story to show for it. They've become an avid fan. Other than that...nada.

To those saying that "plenty of drivers have retired and this is no different". I completely disagree. Dale Jr fans, on average to me, seem to be more about being Dale Earnhardt Jr fans than they are about being a fan of the sport as a whole. I think tons of Junior fans will stop watching when he steps aside. They cling to the Earnhardt era that they remember starting with the black 3. With Junior off the grid that emotional chapter for people will really be closed for good.

NASCAR is no doubt dropping in popularity, but it will always exist. It is what it is, a niche sport. But I love it and don't base what I enjoy off of how popular it is. Could care less. Less inconsistent calls during races and less gimmicks are all I would like

To those saying that "plenty of drivers have retired and this is no different". I completely disagree. Dale Jr fans, on average to me, seem to be more about being Dale Earnhardt Jr fans than they are about being a fan of the sport as a whole. I think tons of Junior fans will stop watching when he steps aside. They cling to the Earnhardt era that they remember starting with the black 3. With Junior off the grid that emotional chapter for people will really be closed for good.
Then disagree. That's what forums are for.

The sport will be just fine when Jr. retires. There is a whole new generation coming on line and they will continue watching. If you quit watching and enjoying Nascar because of one driver, well, then to me, you were not much of a true Race fan, JMHO.

There is a good possibility how we view racing IE: TV, Streaming, virtual head sets etc. will change how the sport is viewed.

As long as 40 or more bad ass 800 HP race cars can race, there will be an audience to view it, but, maybe not on TV as we know it now.

I think Junior races through the 2020 season giving him 5 more shots at a championship, after that most of his fans like Gordon fans will go to Chase. By 2020 Chase E will probably have double digit wins, although I don't see the adoration and fanaticism that goes along with Junior

Back
Top Bottom