Alternator Problems = Dead Batteries

B

Brickyard_400

Has anyone heard what the deal was with some of the drivers having alternator problems leaving some drivers with bad batteries? They did talk about a new smaller alternator some people were using to have less weight but same performance or something like that.

Just curious.

The only thing I heard about was the smaller battery. The smaller one does give them room to install two of them so they have an on-board back-up.
Just a few of the cars have them so far and it sure helped one of the drivers.
Yeh, don't know yet what the deal was on the alternators.

Yesterday was the first I had heard it mentioned...seemed like it was a problem on a few cars. Really don't have much info. Whizzer might know something.

Hey, Whiz.....you readin' this?

It just struck me as being very odd that 2 or 3 drivers had battery problems. Ive only been seriously into NASCAR the past 2 years now and this is the first Ive seen this happen and was just curious if someone knew what the culprit was. Yes, I see were alot of drivers are running 2 batteries now incase of battery problems or if a alternator problem and runs a battery down.

So the question is were these alternator problems that caused the batterys going dead? If so what was the odds of 3 drivers haveing bad alternators yesterday? Unless they were running new type of alternators.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't a race car run with a dead battery..yes I know the radio and guages will not work...but I have actually removed a battery from a running car in the past. Is this a NASCAR rule for safety, spotter/radios?

redrock,

Yes a driver can still race if a battery dies as long as the alternator is still working properly. The alternator charges the battery, so if the alternator gos bad theres nothing to charge the battery so then the battery gets drained and go's out. From there Im guessing it may effect the electronics thats need for the distributor and other must have electric parts to race if both go out.

If the alternator go's out and the driver switchs to the 2nd battery it will last awhile be for evently it will die also with no alternator keeping it charged.

Unless like you said its for safety issues. (Fires) Ect.,.

From Nascars site:

Battery couldn't be blamed for either Gordon, Labonte driver's troubles. Instead, failed alternators caused a drain on the batteries, and replacing the batteries was the easiest solution.

Hey Hey Don't even remind me! That 2003 Daytona 500 was one horrible day. :(

Originally posted by Goodwrench3@Apr 5 2004, 03:16 PM
Hey Hey Don't even remind me! That 2003 Daytona 500 was one horrible day. :(
nan, it was not that bad.....some times crap just happands!

;) That battery problem probably cost Jeff Gordon His first Cup victory at Texas,even the drivers on "Victory Lane" this evening said that Jeff was primed for the win,shame for all of the drivers with electrical/alternator problems,especially Bobby Labonte's #18 Insterstae Batteries(LOL) Chevy as He did not carry a backup battery,want to bet taht His team and others will have that 2nd battery installed in Their cars by Martinsville race? :lol: Would seem to be a good move IMHO,granted that sort of problem is usually not in any abundance on any given raceday,but Texas proved that a 2nd battery will just about be a requirement for the full-time teams if They want to stay competitive with the rest of the field when these troubles arise

I'm pretty sure Jeff Hammond mentioned that some teams were using a new altenator.......must have been approved by NASCAR or those teams would be penalized for unapproved parts. Maybe NASCAR was doing a little "field testing"! :D

At any rate, it looks like that new alternator needs a little improvement.

Back
Top Bottom