Ambrose gone?

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
INDIANAPOLIS -- Marcos Ambrose on Friday declined to discuss a report that he's considering returning to Australia to run the V8 Supercar Series for Roger Penske.

The report this week in the Brisbane Courier-Mail was fueled at Indianapolis Motor Speedway when Richard Petty said it was up to Ambrose if he wants to stay in NASCAR next season.

"If I had something to say, I'd already say it," an irritated Ambrose said.

The Australian newspaper said Penske was working with longtime Australian race team owner Dick Johnson to form a Supercar team with Ambrose as the driver. The Australian has been in NASCAR full-time since 2006, and with Richard Petty Motorsports since 2011.

"You'll have to ask him," Petty said of Ambrose's return to the No. 9 Ford. "It's probably up to him as much as anything. He's been good for Richard Petty Motorsports, we admire what he's been doing for us. It's going to be basically a decision of what does he want to do? Does he want to run all the races, just part of the races, does he want to go home? That's going to be up to him."

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...marcos-ambrose-dodges-questions-future-nascar

Pretty interesting. The only way I can see him going back to V8 is if Petty can't put a long term deal together for him to stay in NASCAR.

Pretty interesting. The only way I can see him going back to V8 is if Petty can't put a long term deal together for him to stay in NASCAR.
I don't know, he has mentioned on more than one occasion that his family is in Australia. Ambrose not saying anything either way indicates to me that he is waiting to see if it happens or not and what kind of money is involved.

I'll be sad to see him go.

I hope he stays, he's a fun driver to watch. I think he only stays if he makes the Chase, though. He can have a lot more success by going over to V8SC again.

I'm sure going back home to a series where he can be more competitive looks like a pretty attractive option for Ambrose. From what I understand, he was kind of a rock star over there in the V8 Supercars. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in NASCAR, except for the road courses he's pretty much a non-factor most weeks. Now in his late 30's, he may want to get back into something competitive before he gets too old.

I think he fears retaliation from Mears and getting out of dodge for his personal safety.

I'm sure going back home to a series where he can be more competitive looks like a pretty attractive option for Ambrose. From what I understand, he was kind of a rock star over there in the V8 Supercars. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in NASCAR, except for the road courses he's pretty much a non-factor most weeks. Now in his late 30's, he may want to get back into something competitive before he gets too old.

Same thoughts here. He's probably just struggling with making the decision to give up on his nascar dreams.

My guess is if he stays this will be his last decent contract in Cup. If his only offer for a decent ride is with Petty he may just see it as time to go home. Nothing against Petty, but he probably has asked himself on many of occasions can he win a Championship with them? If a Championship worthy team isn't calling, then might as well go home a run a series he is familiar with and for a top notch owner like Penske. Tough, but going home might be the right decision.

Cool guy, great road racer. Family is in Aussie, wouldnt blame him for going home.

If he left it fills the #9 with possibly better talent. Ambrose gave NASCAR a shot, aside from roadracing it was a lackluster performance.

If he stays, best of luck. If he goes, bring in some actual stock car talant.

I've been a big fan of his, and it'd be a shame to see him go. He's a good driver that's done the best he could with the mid-tier rides he's had. If he does leave, hopefully he gets one more win at the glen

If he does go I hope he can snag an oval win.

If we had V8 Supercar coverage, I wouldn't care what he does. They put on a show down under.

Penske close to Australian Super-V8 deal? Ambrose part of deal?: Dick Johnson is closing on a deal with Roger Penske. The Johnson-Penske deal could be finalized before the end of the month and could even include the signing of Marcos Ambrose as lead driver for the 2015 V8 Supercar season. Ambrose, a two-time champion in Falcons with Stone Brothers Racing, is strongly rumored to have plans to return to Australia with his family after battling to make the top grade in NASCAR racing in America despite several big road-course wins. No one on either side of the Pacific is giving any confirmation yet but there are strong pointers to a Penske-Johnson super team as Penske expands his giant motoring empire into Australia with a string of new-car dealerships and local ownership of the Western Star truck brand. Johnson is not prepared to comment on the Penske negotiations but admitted he would welcome a buy-in. Penske's interest in V8 Supercar racing became public at the Bathurst 1000 last year when his motorsport boss, Tim Cindric, visited the race and spent time with Johnson. The trip included senior Ford Motorsport figures and Penske has also flown to Australia, with a recent rumored sighting at the Dick Johnson Racing race base at Yatala on the Gold Coast. "There is nothing to report at the present time," a DJR spokesman said.(Courier-Mail:)(7-24-2014)

Cool guy, great road racer. Family is in Aussie, wouldnt blame him for going home.

If he left it fills the #9 with possibly better talent. Ambrose gave NASCAR a shot, aside from roadracing it was a lackluster performance.

If he stays, best of luck. If he goes, bring in some actual stock car talant.
I think most drivers would find it hard to compete in the #9. Basically all of Ambrose's top tracks are road courses, short tracks, and shorter intermediates like Dover and Phoenix which lead me to believe it's largely engine and aero that RPM is lacking in.

I like Ambrose. I think he's a hell of a driver. I think his lack of performance at RPM is all on RPM. I'd like to see what he could do in a top-tier ride.

Reactions: sdj
He belongs in the supercars, the dude has wrecked more cup cars than anyone I can think of, he is a mid pack disaster every weekend

Ambrose is good for ratings....

nascarpunch.gif

When there have been other former drivers in the booth, such as, Rusty, Dale Jarrett, Ned Jarrett, Benny, etc., they reference what winning was like from their own perspectives. Kyle petty just says, the King this and the King that. It's tiresome and has no content relevant to the broadcast.
I'm not at all suggesting that Richard Petty wasn't hugely relevant to the sport, I'm just saying that Kyle Petty never was.

sounds like a penske / ford biz deal.....w/ car / big truck dealerships down under.

marcus could become aussie jj.....w/ djr / penske race team . ??

Didn't Ambrose come up with Ford in NNS? I know he drove Toyota for JTG, but now is with Ford again. With Rumors of RPM switching manufacturers do you think that might have something to do with Ambrose wanting to leave? Not sure what Penske will run in Supercars though.

Didn't Ambrose come up with Ford in NNS? I know he drove Toyota for JTG, but now is with Ford again. With Rumors of RPM switching manufacturers do you think that might have something to do with Ambrose wanting to leave? Not sure what Penske will run in Supercars though.

RPM re-signed with Ford, that's reason enough for Ambrose to jump ship. Roush is getting Ford's sloppy seconds and look how crappy they are. RPM is getting Ford's sloppy thirds. No chance to compete at a high level doing that

RPM re-signed with Ford, that's reason enough for Ambrose to jump ship. Roush is getting Ford's sloppy seconds and look how crappy they are. RPM is getting Ford's sloppy thirds. No chance to compete at a high level doing that

Kind of hard to say roush is getting ford's sloppy seconds when they build the engines for Ford. They are just behind in the chassis department.

Back
Top Bottom