Are any of you NASCAR fans avid F1 fans too?

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Since the Hass press conference yesterday NASCAR Radio has been inundated with calls on the F1 subject. I have to admit my exposure to it has been minimal. I don't know if the entry of an American team will get my interest or not. Last year I tried to give their season finale a try. I watched Sebastian Vettel start from the pole and lead the field into turn #1 during the Grand Prix of Brazil. That was pretty much it. 71 laps later, never being passed at any point during the race, he crossed the finish line first. Now as I go back and look at last years results I see that he won 13 of the season's 19 races. There were a total of 38 lead changes in those 13 races that he won. Last week @ Darlington there were 22 lead changes in that race alone in a race that was pretty well dominated by a single car. What is the draw to this sport? I'll probably give it a try if I've got someone to root for but I'm not sure it'll hold my attention for long if the above is the norm.

I'm a big F1 fan as well. I like the technology aspect to the sport and the fact that there are no phantom cautions or manipulated winners. Fastest car wins. Not to mention these guys are the most talented drivers on earth

Nope! There is ONE traffic light between our home and the new Austin F1 track and we aren't interested in going. We have even thought about renting rooms in our home for use during the races. But don't expect to see us when you get to the track. Sort of like rugby, soccer and air plane racing, it's somebody else's sport. Our sport is cars we MIGHT be able to purchase, driven by folks whose names we can read and pronounce.
Betsy

Nope! There is ONE traffic light between our home and the new Austin F1 track and we aren't interested in going. We have even thought about renting rooms in our home for use during the races. But don't expect to see us when you get to the track. Sort of like rugby, soccer and air plane racing, it's somebody else's sport. Our sport is cars we MIGHT be able to purchase, driven by folks whose names we can read and pronounce.
Betsy
I'd have to give it a try if I lived that close. At least once.

I'll watch, occasionally. But like you, dpk -- when there is no passing, no battling at all for the lead, where is the fun. Technology is
fascinating, but doesn't glue me to the TV.

If I lived as close as Betsy, I'd go just once to see what it's all about.

I'll watch an F-1 race if I happen to notice one is on, but I don't go out of my way to watch them.

Never really interest me, I watched a couple of races...it was basically follow the leader through the streets. If I wanted to watch that kind of racing I'd watch any race at Bowman Gray Stadium.

I had to go back to June 24th 2012 to find a race where the winner started outside the top 10. It seems like front row starters are pretty much the norm for crossing the finish line first.

Yes.

Red Bull were ridiculously dominant last year; that's what happens when you have maybe the best designer of all-time in a series that isn't about spec racing. Mercedes will probably run away with the championship this year too. However, the racing throughout the field is fantastic. After three races so far the 2nd- and 6th-place teams are separated by only 14 points. The Driver's Championship battle between Hamilton and Rosberg is shaping up to be a good one too.

Not a avid fan but like many others I watch occasionally

I enjoy all forms of motorsport.

F1 can be very dull at times. Follow the leader with team orders and not much adversity for the drivers to face. I do enjoy the technology and the tracks.

If I had to make a list of my favorite racing:

1. Motocross
2. NASCAR
3. Indycar
4. Tudor/Sports Cars
5. F1
6. Everything else.

Anyone know where to find loop data for the F1 Series? Don't see it on racing-reference.info and a quick Google search turned up nothing.

Yeah I think F1 is great. I just feel like the championship is extremely redundant. We complain about our cookie cutters here and they have the road course version over there with places like Malaysia, China, India, Austin, Korea, etc... I'd love F1 if there was an American team, a couple American drivers and some more unique layouts. I know they hate ovals over there but I think it'd make the championship more exciting if there was variety.

I dunno guys...The senna prost battles epic...but thats the F1 of old...

I remember the radio chatter...do you turn up your turbo to try and catch that guy ahead of risking your fuel and tires or do try other ways to catch him like out brake in the turns, etc.

But Like dpk if there is no passing Im out.

I fast forward through it on my DVR, so I guess not a real big fan.

Nope. Nascar, Sportscars,Dirt,Motocross for me.I've had the races on tv but just can't seem to force myself to watch it.I do think their tire warmers are cute though:micro:

Mike

I'm a casual fan, I catch a race when it's convenient and I don't know many of the driver names. I enjoy the qualifying more than the races. The racing has been getting a little better over the last couple of years. But I prefer NASCAR pit stops because you can see what they are doing, in F1 they minimize the pit stop. And the race stewards drive me nuts when they don't handle incidents as efficiently as NASCAR does (NASCAR efficiency - some might want to argue about that hehe).

Yeah I think F1 is great. I just feel like the championship is extremely redundant. We complain about our cookie cutters here and they have the road course version over there with places like Malaysia, China, India, Austin, Korea, etc...

I disagree, the cookie cutter Charlotte-ized 1.5 mile oval might make boring NASCAR racing, but I think the Hermann Tilke-designed F1 road courses are great and perfect for F1 racing. If you want to complain about how they're basically the only style of road course that F1 races on these days, then I can't argue with that. But they are very safe with lots of runoff areas and have a lot of luxury amenities that the F1 crowd likes. My beloved Road America is basically the blueprint for the Tilke-style F1 track (though I'm sure Hermann would disagree), with some great long straights, and a nice mix of wide and tight turns.

F1 has gotten better since they limited the engines to V8s and now the turbo/electric V6s. A lot of passing throughout the field, though usually the leader is dominant from start to finish.

I'll watch, occasionally. But like you, dpk -- when there is no passing, no battling at all for the lead, where is the fun. Technology is
fascinating, but doesn't glue me to the TV.

If I lived as close as Betsy, I'd go just once to see what it's all about.
I'll watch a few minutes here and there, but to me it is just follow the leader boring racing, without much passing. What is the point of having all the technology if they just follow each other around and don't actually pass each other? Haas moving into F1 won't change my opinion of F1 or make me watch it more.

I disagree, the cookie cutter Charlotte-ized 1.5 mile oval might make boring NASCAR racing, but I think the Hermann Tilke-designed F1 road courses are great and perfect for F1 racing. If you want to complain about how they're basically the only style of road course that F1 races on these days, then I can't argue with that. But they are very safe with lots of runoff areas and have a lot of luxury amenities that the F1 crowd likes. My beloved Road America is basically the blueprint for the Tilke-style F1 track (though I'm sure Hermann would disagree), with some great long straights, and a nice mix of wide and tight turns.

F1 has gotten better since they limited the engines to V8s and now the turbo/electric V6s. A lot of passing throughout the field, though usually the leader is dominant from start to finish.

I think we're just looking at it a little different. I like natural terrain road courses. I often complain that IndyCar ignores some of the most unique and picturesque road courses in the country to take over a city street for a weekend.

Road America, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Portland. That's my kind of road course.

I think Spa, Monza and Austria are the three coolest tracks on the 2014 schedule.

I think we're just looking at it a little different. I like natural terrain road courses. I often complain that IndyCar ignores some of the most unique and picturesque road courses in the country to take over a city street for a weekend.

Road America, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Portland. That's my kind of road course.

I think Spa, Monza and Austria are the three coolest tracks on the 2014 schedule.
??? I think Monte Carlo and Singapore are the only street courses left on the F1 schedule.

I'm a pretty big fan I guess, I'm definitely excited about an American on the Grid... Love that Gene Haas is behind it. I'll be pulling for them.

Can you IMAGINE the media swirl if he puts a certain Nascar driver in one of his F1 cars :eek:

I'm fan of F1, my roommate is not. I dont go in expecting Nascar style racing. The cloest you'll get in Europe is the V8 Supercars. That is my second favorite behind nascar.

I'm fan of F1, my roommate is not. I dont go in expecting Nascar style racing. The cloest you'll get in Europe is the V8 Supercars. That is my second favorite behind nascar.
The V-8 super cars rock. Loved it when Speed (RIP) showed Bathhurst live.

Last edited:
Never really interest me, I watched a couple of races...it was basically follow the leader through the streets. If I wanted to watch that kind of racing I'd watch any race at Bowman Gray Stadium.

Since the engine change this year there's actually been close and side by side racing, you should check it out for your self. The last race was the best F1 race I've seen in probably 10 years.

I've been watching F1 closely for the last 10 years. The last 3 years I've been losing interest because it's been like SpeedPagan said follow the leader which has been Red Bull & Vettel. If F1 stays the way it's been for the last 2 races I'll stay a fan for sure.

Used to love it big time. First, with the V12 Ferrari, and then when Toyota entered. Cars got ugly. Rules became stupid. Toyota left, and so did I.

Back
Top Bottom