As if the Chase isn't already a joke; Tony's substitution takes it further

The 2007 New England Patriots were probably one of the best NFL teams of all time. They went undefeated all the way up until the Super Bowl, but were upset by the Giants. In many sports it doesn't matter how great a season you had, if you cannot be the best on that crucial day then sorry. Somehow those fans manage to carry on without whining about "legitimate" champions.

There are many differences, but one is that the NFL doesn't let all 32 teams on the field for the Super Bowl. To have your championship run ended by the actions of some guy in 30th place is fundamentally unfair. It'd be like if Peyton Manning had a TD pass batted away by some player coming off the sidelines for the Titans.

The 2007 New England Patriots were probably one of the best NFL teams of all time. They went undefeated all the way up until the Super Bowl, but were upset by the Giants. In many sports it doesn't matter how great a season you had, if you cannot be the best on that crucial day then sorry. Somehow those fans manage to carry on without whining about "legitimate" champions.
That's about the 73,000,000th time I've seen the 16-0 Patriots analogy, and I'll ask the same thing I asked the other 72,999,999 times: did the 2007 Patriots play every other team in the NFL every week that year?

Playoffs in the NFL are a necessity. Playoffs in NASCAR are a gimmick.

I said it last year when Kyle Busch was injured these exemptions are too liberal. And I say the same thing with Stewart. Having said that, NASCAR has always recognized the driver that starts the race as the winner if that car wins that race. Been a long time since that happened. Like someone else said, chances are low that Ty Dillon will win the race.

Ty Dillon has zero chance to win the race so I don't really care TBH. I get the patriots analogy is a little unfair but remember the same cars are up front every single week. It's not like the back half of the field has any remote chance to be competitive At homestead. Besides NASCAR does all they can to make sure the chase final four guys are up front battling for the win at the end (cough, water bottle, cough). Your really have to crap the bed to lose the championship if you're one the fastest guy in the final four. And if your teams screw up on pit road or has motor problems you don't deserve to win anyway.

I think an easy solution is have the final four run a sprint race like 50 laps then have the actual race for the non final four.

Cool your own jets there @Acs.

I think that it's BS that a relief drivers win could gain a spot in the Chase for the driver that chose not to race. You don't have to agree with my opinion.

Of course Tony is never going to close this gap. That's not the point. The fact that it's able to happen is the issue as far as I'm concerned. It shouldn't even be a possibility, period.

I agree, with one caveat : It should simply be that any driver who gets a win and finishes in the top 30 is in the farce, er chase.

Let them sit out 5 or 6 or how many they want. get a win and enough points and your in.

I do not like the case either, but its better then the fae outcomes of the NFL to enable revenue sharing and 5 wild card teams in contention. Look at the steelers seahawks game in novemeber where the field goal kicker threw the ball to seattle twice.
There are many differences, but one is that the NFL doesn't let all 32 teams on the field for the Super Bowl. To have your championship run ended by the actions of some guy in 30th place is fundamentally unfair. It'd be like if Peyton Manning had a TD pass batted away by some player coming off the sidelines for the Titans.
That's about the 73,000,000th time I've seen the 16-0 Patriots analogy, and I'll ask the same thing I asked the other 72,999,999 times: did the 2007 Patriots play every other team in the NFL every week that year? Playoffs in the NFL are a necessity. Playoffs in NASCAR are a gimmick.
STICK AND BALL ALERT!

Never thought of that. Good point. It is entirely possible. Teams will exploit everything they can. It wouldn't surprise me.
Little point to it at the Cup level. Look at the records of road course ringers over the last several seasons. They're not even good fantasy picks any more.

Maybe in X or Trucks.

But ... but ... but think of the storylines, dpk. The drama, the heart-tugging looks back at Tony's storied career, his injuries and his comeback from the depths of depression caused by his poor performances as he struggled to cope with the switch to Fords.

This is magical stuff. Daytime sports soap-opera. Appearances on Oprah and Dr. Phil to reveal the depth of Tony's unhealthy relationship with his pet pig. Stuff like that ...

I, for one, will be pulling hard for Ty Dillon this weekend. :rolleyes:

The Chase sucks.
Throw in I love me making some bacon sweetness, and you gotta a good lifetime movie script. The Chase sucks.
I want Ty to win Sunday. The Chase sucks. The stupid chase and Brian needs to be exposed and ridiculed for the stupidity.
The Chase sucks.

When they made Kyle eligible last year I questioned that decision. All said and done Kyle was one of the best drivers last year even with his reduced season. When the chase started I realized I wanted to see him in the hunt because his performance was worthy.

Back in the day there were a number of drivers that ran partial seasons for various reasons. Drivers like Donny Allison to David Pearson ran partial seasons and I considered them top drivers.

Yeah, I know the rules. No need to explain it to me. I was born at night but it wasn't last night.

The whole deal of Chase Waivers is bad enough, in my eye's, but allowing Tony to still be Chase eligible after exiting the car this weekend makes even more of a mockery of the Chase.

So Ty is going to jump in the car during the first pit stop to finish the race for Tony. Yeah, I get it. If Tony is fragile enough that he can't even start this race, he shouldn't get credited for the results of this race. JMO
Oh, as I see it, this is the first I hate the Chase Thread since March of 2015. ;)

Didnt Tony drive the whole race at Richmond ? If they switched drivers I missed it (because I pay no attention to Stewart )

The Chase sucks.
Throw in I love me making some bacon sweetness, and you gotta a good lifetime movie script. The Chase sucks.
I want Ty to win Sunday. The Chase sucks. The stupid chase and Brian needs to be exposed and ridiculed for the stupidity.
The Chase sucks.

Maybe now that we have an aero package that is producing exciting racing we can ditch the chase.
I mean the Chase was created to make the racing more exciting and this year we have that ...BEFORE the Chase.

I watch NASCAR (or anything for that matter) to be entertained, the Chase is entertaining, plain and simple.

I watch NASCAR (or anything for that matter) to be entertained, the Chase is entertaining, plain and simple.
For you it might entertaining, plain and simple, for others that want more of a legit way of crowning the series champion, its not so plain and simple for them.

For you being entertain, thats great.

I've been looking forward to a fresh BadChase argument.

No luck so far. :D

Good racing cures a lot of ills but it is murder on forum traffic. A pipe dream of mine is that good racing will be de rigueur and some of the gimmicks can be put to bed. I won't hold my breath,

Great? I'll go with exciting. I mean, what elimination isn't when it comes to sports? I agree with you 1000% on the credibility side though. That doesn't seem to be all that important of a trait when it comes to a NASCAR Champion.

It could be exciting and credible at the same time.

NASCAR cares about sensationalism, about headlines. I won't claim the championship was rigged, it wasn't. But the media and the NASCAR brass got the outcome they wanted with Kyle. That matters more than credibility.

As much as I hate to admit it, Kyle did deserve to win the championship last year even though he missed a bunch of races. If Tony can do what Kyle did, I wouldn't be upset if he ended up winning the championship.

HOWEVER....I still think the Chase is utterly ridiculous and would love nothing more than to see if fall off a cliff and perish in a fiery explosion.

Looks like the idea behind this thread is lost. It was about the relief driver aspect of which Tony will be using this weekend at Talladega. The general idea of a relief driver being able to earn a Chase spot for the actual driver is wrong in my eyes. YMMV

Looks like the idea behind this thread is lost. It was about the relief driver aspect of which Tony will be using this weekend at Talladega. The general idea of a relief driver being able to earn a Chase spot for the actual driver is wrong in my eyes. YMMV
These are the rules which the lord Brian hath gave unto us. Let us rejoice and be grateful. :lilangel:

this doesn't seem anymore messed up than cars that start a race, run a few laps and then park it. I guess I'm more confused why Tony is even running this year. Just retire man. Vickers was making that car look good for a minute there.

Problem is, a relief driver winning counts as a win and that's actually an existing rule. LOL.

NASCAR opened a big can of worms when they let Kyle in.
This is not Stewart's first waiver and Busch's was not the first one granted.

This is not Stewart's first waiver and Busch's was not the first one granted.

Stewart got a waiver a few years ago for missing two races. There's a big, HUGE, GIANT difference between missing two races and missing 11 races.

If Kyle Busch had missed two races and gotten the waiver, there would be no outrage. Because, it's realistically possible to win a championship missing two races.

Personally, I think the allowance of waivers should be completely done away with. Drivers should be allowed to miss up to three races if they so choose. If Kyle Busch or Kevin Harvick has clinched a Chase spot before they get to Bristol, that's awesome. And they should be rewarded for their success with a form of "bye week".

Back
Top Bottom