Atlanta RACE thread

Wasn't able to watch the race but saw the updates. Sucked Tony was P. 30 and missed driver intros... Maybe that was his way of telling NASCAR- screw you! He's still my fave though. It's early in the season so I hope he can work with Chad and figure things out...onto next weekend!! Congrats to JJ....

I didn't realize Smoke missed driver intros but once you turn 40 you should be exempt from that kind of hokey stuff anyway.

Tony shows up in the summer. He never has run well in the beginning of the season. It would be cool to see him run well though. We need Tony and Jeff to run well. They are our last connection to the greats of NASCAR.

Tony shows up in the summer. He never has run well in the beginning of the season. It would be cool to see him run well though. We need Tony and Jeff to run well. They are our last connection to the greats of NASCAR.

It is one thing to start off slow and way to early to panic or draw conclusions but Smoke stunk the joint out today. Also it will be interesting to see how JG does with a car that seems to be better suited for drivers who like cars loose as a goose.

This is very true.

Maybe I'm just overreacting.

Brett Moffit though !

I'd like to see MWR get that 3rd team some good equipment and put Moffit in for some races, because he drove his ass off today.

One other thing I wanted to comment on was all the empty seats. I know the temps were cooler but still a disappointing turn out. I never thought that Atlanta would end up with just one race and maybe zero races in the future.

Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick have won 5 of the last 8 races and 7 of the last 9 championships. HMS, Harvick, and Team Penske have also won the last 16 straight races.

Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick have won 5 of the last 8 races and 7 of the last 9 championships. HMS, Harvick, and Team Penske have also won the last 16 straight races.

I expect the JGR cars to get better as the weeks roll on. I don't expect RCR to win a race and it is quite possible Roush may not put a driver in the chase.

Oh Christ, I didn't need to be reminded of Brian Barnhart so soon.
When the 48 took the white flag today Knaus told Jimmie to give him "one more good lap" (Fox played the scanner audio). It triggered my Barnhardt PTSD and I wrote it autonomically.

I like Vickers and I feel bad for him and all his health problems, but he's reached his maximum potential.

Vickers is like Truex in that they will tease with great runs periodically before retreating swiftly to mediocrity.

If you enjoyed the Atlanta race then just to let you know I will be re-painting my living room and thought you might like to come over and watch the paint dry.
Round and round they go. Little passing and how come only Johnson had a fast car at the end.

I expect the JGR cars to get better as the weeks roll on. I don't expect RCR to win a race and it is quite possible Roush may not put a driver in the chase.
I can agree with that. JGR/Toyota needs to perform this year and JGR had some good runs with Denny and Carl today, so things are looking up. Roush has been a lost cause, and I didn't see one up front yesterday, I think the #43 is the best non-Penske Ford team tbh.

I like Vickers and I feel bad for him and all his health problems, but he's reached his maximum potential.

I feel the same, I hate that his career has been affected by his health issues.
He really needs a win bad.

If I had an open seat available Moffitt would be in it today.

If you enjoyed the Atlanta race then just to let you know I will be re-painting my living room and thought you might like to come over and watch the paint dry.
Round and round they go. Little passing and how come only Johnson had a fast car at the end.

The reason the 48 team was so good at the end of the race is the same reason they are normally better than most toward the end. They keep up with a changing track instead of being able to run one phase well and then fading. They do it all the time. Is this the first time you have seen it?

I can agree with that. JGR/Toyota needs to perform this year and JGR had some good runs with Denny and Carl today, so things are looking up. Roush has been a lost cause, and I didn't see one up front yesterday, I think the #43 is the best non-Penske Ford team tbh.

I am not sold on Hamlin but I see good things for Edwards and Kenseth and of course Kyle if he was available.

B_Cupw0VIAE4vJO.jpg:large

B_DSxAeUoAAfUYz.jpg:large

B_Dit9dUwAA7vno.jpg:large

B_DU5UJU8AAblFG.jpg:large

B_GQVi5W4AE77L3.jpg:large

B_Cz634U0AAWlY_.jpg:large

B_Dba7UVEAAwt0k.jpg:large

B_C3pa8W0AATyWM.jpg:large

B_DTuFbUoAAvSCT.jpg:large

B_GbRhwWkAAcBfW.png:large

B_DTR8NVIAADZFG.jpg:large

B_DKAJZVEAA1gqG.jpg:large

B_DQrjqWkAAqzo4.jpg:large

I don't see RFR doing much of anything on the Cup side this year. Most of their talent is in Xfinity right now. When those guys move up things might improve, but it's probably gonna be a long 2015 for Roush's Cup organization.

I don't see RFR doing much of anything on the Cup side this year. Most of their talent is in Xfinity right now. When those guys move up things might improve, but it's probably gonna be a long 2015 for Roush's Cup organization.

I think Chris Buescher will make some noise if he gets to Cup. I like Bubba Wallace as well. Stenhouse will be out of a ride soon. Bayne is a spare. Biffle has had a nice career but his best years are behind him. I don't think Roush is a lost cause yet. Let's see what happens when better drivers get those seats in the next couple years.

2 straight races to start the season and Landon Cassill finishes 43 in both

Also:

- Never before had four drivers earned two Top 5s in the first two races of the season since the Daytona 500 became the season opener in 1982
- Kevin Harvick has five straight 1st- or 2nd-place finishes, dating back to Texas in November
- Jamie McMurray surpassed Rick Mast for the most Cup starts in the #1 (182)
- Brendan Gaughan made $97,785 in his very first Cup start in the #62, more than anyone had ever totaled in that car number (Rick Wilson had earned the most, $56,500 in 20 starts from 1980-1983)

The leader's in a different zip code while everyone else is fairly competitive. Looks like, with the new package, clean air is premium even more than before. Ugh.
fortunately later in the race this comment was proved wrong :). The leader has been run down through out the race and passed. I love the new package.

It's just Atlanta and one race with the new package.

fortunately later in the race this comment was proved wrong :). The leader has been run down through out the race and passed. I love the new package.

It's just Atlanta and one race with the new package.

I think tire wear had more to do with that. Watch how Jimmie Johnson took off on the final restart. Watch how many times Kevin Harvick drew up to Joey Logano but couldn't get close enough to make a move. Clean air.

I think tire wear had more to do with that. Watch how Jimmie Johnson took off on the final restart. Watch how many times Kevin Harvick drew up to Joey Logano but couldn't get close enough to make a move. Clean air.

It's not just tirewear.
Regardless, clean air will always be a a plus. Clean air, clean track out front and tire management is in your hands, and you dictate the pace of the race. My points remain unchanged. A faster car than the leader can run down, and pass the leader. It's managing tires while doing this, plus it's Atlanta. Harvick did get by Joey I'm pretty sure, plus that was in the earlier portion of the race. Harvick being Harvick, finishing 1-2 last week with Joey, plus their issues in the Unlimited? Harvick was probably just ridind behind Joey a little bit because he knew he had him covered. He was much faster than Joey.
Plus Jimmie ran down the 29 and passed him. No one all day was able to run down the 29, so it wasn't just because of tires. Harvick stayed right on Jimmie, within 5 tenths of a second, and tried to pass him back. The racing seemed fine to me. It's just the second race.

Back
Top Bottom