Atlanta ratings

I don't get what you can read into those stats . Seems to me that the viewers who sit down to watch a race don't know a thing about how close the racing will be or how it will play out . They may be influenced to watch by how good the racing was last week but they don't know anything about this week or next week .They may also be influenced to watch by the commercials that promote the race . They show clips from previous years highlights.

I don't get what you can read into those stats . Seems to me that the viewers who sit down to watch a race don't know a thing about how close the racing will be or how it will play out . They may be influenced to watch by how good the racing was last week but they don't know anything about this week or next week .They may also be influenced to watch by the commercials that promote the race . They show clips from previous years highlights.

I don't know much at all about TV ratings other than there is more to see than just the number itself. There was a drama program named "Harry's Law" that was on a major network a few years ago that had ratings good enough to be renewed. It was cancelled because even though it had decent ratings it was an older demographic that watched and they don't count with advertisers.

The NHL has relatively low ratings but advertisers like that programming because it attracts the correct demo. Unfortunately for Nascar the TV ratings have been shrinking for some time and they are losing the desired demographic. In the end does any of this matter? It appears not at this point as when you have NBC and FOX needing programming for new networks Nascar gets paid.

5.1 overnight rating -- up six percent from last year's race (which was at Phoenix).

Gloom and doom.

Historically Nascar's second race of the year draws about 9 million viewers so it is good news that number was attained again this year.

I don't know much at all about TV ratings other than there is more to see than just the number itself. There was a drama program named "Harry's Law" that was on a major network a few years ago that had ratings good enough to be renewed. It was cancelled because even though it had decent ratings it was an older demographic that watched and they don't count with advertisers.

The NHL has relatively low ratings but advertisers like that programming because it attracts the correct demo. Unfortunately for Nascar the TV ratings have been shrinking for some time and they are losing the desired demographic. In the end does any of this matter? It appears not at this point as when you have NBC and FOX needing programming for new networks Nascar gets paid.

Which is why NASCAR's doing things, that are working BTW, to attract younger viewers. It might irritate older fans but NASCAR needs younger viewers more than them.

It'd be interesting to see if the age demographic is moving any. Can't remember where, but I saw something a year or two ago that said the average age of a NASCAR fan is 47, I think only golf and baseball had older fan bases.

Which is why NASCAR's doing things, that are working BTW, to attract younger viewers. It might irritate older fans but NASCAR needs younger viewers more than them.

I have maintained that if Nascar needs to run figure 8 races to attract a younger demographic then so be it. I have also suggested that giving out unused blocks of tickets to church groups or to under privileged children's groups would be a great idea. It introduces youngsters to the series, is great PR and a win win for everyone.

I had a great time as a devoted Nascar fan but my time has come and gone and now it is up to others to take up where I left off. After attending close to 100 live Nascar events I packed it in 5 years ago and Hell would have to freeze over for me to ever return. The problem Nascar has had for many years is that it is not replacing those that have checked out and they have no clue what needs to be done to resolve the problem.

It'd be interesting to see if the age demographic is moving any. Can't remember where, but I saw something a year or two ago that said the average age of a NASCAR fan is 47, I think only golf and baseball had older fan bases.

Just like the 48 team does on race day the NHL and NFL have seemed to be able to make adjustments in order to ensure a healthy audience and interest in the games. I give credit to MLB as they are trying new rules to speed up the game this year and it is something I will check out for sure.

I don't know what Nascar has done or can do in order to attract younger fans.

I said all of this on this board a long time ago when Ricky Carmichael and Travis Pastrana were trying to break in . It was the only time my grandson ever showed any interest the sport . I sure found out that the rednecks on this board didn't want them people in Nascar. By the way , the only name that he knows in Nascar is DP.

The problem Nascar has had for many years is that it is not replacing those that have checked out and they have no clue what needs to be done to resolve the problem.

The answer to replacing those fans is obviously to talk about how great the races and the drivers were 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

The answer to replacing those fans is obviously to talk about how great the races and the drivers were 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

Talk is cheap and I seriously doubt this or any other online forum is any basis for Nascar's decision making pro or con. If I were Nascar I would be trying to figure out what caused such an influx of fans 20 years ago and what caused the mass exodus beginning 10 years ago. Something(s) caused people to tune into Nascar and attend live events in droves and then something happened to cause them to give Nascar the high hard one. If you don't understand what makes you golden or makes you suck in the eyes of your customers how can you know what to do? Does that make sense?

Talk is cheap and I seriously doubt this or any other online forum is any basis for Nascar's decision making pro or con. If I were Nascar I would be trying to figure out what caused such an influx of fans 20 years ago and what caused the mass exodus beginning 10 years ago. Something(s) caused people to tune into Nascar and attend live events in droves and then something happened to cause them to give Nascar the high hard one. If you don't understand what makes you golden or makes you suck in the eyes of your customers how can you know what to do? Does that make sense?

Simple answer, the racing sucked and the old Chase made it worse. The drivers cared more about finishing races than winning races. Thanks to the new Chase that everyone loves to hate on, they can't just ride around and 15th place their way to the Chase anymore.

I said all of this on this board a long time ago when Ricky Carmichael and Travis Pastrana were trying to break in . It was the only time my grandson ever showed any interest the sport . I sure found out that the rednecks on this board didn't want them people in Nascar. By the way , the only name that he knows in Nascar is DP.

These boards are completely irrelevant as to who races in Nascar or the decisions the sanctioning body makes. If you can get a sponsor you can participate in Nascar competition regardless of your racing acumen or what a redneck or a blue blood thinks.

I'm 71 and have attended every race I could get to since I was able to walk and have no idea how many races that I have attended. Several hundred I'm sure. I hope I never become as jaded and uninspired with racing as several on here seem to have become. I wouldn't like myself very much if all I did was troll around and try to make other race fans as miserable as I apparently would be.

Simple answer, the racing sucked and the old Chase made it worse. The drivers cared more about finishing races than winning races. Thanks to the new Chase that everyone loves to hate on, they can't just ride around and 15th place their way to the Chase anymore.

I think you gave more of a simpleton's answer than a simple answer.

I'm 71 and have attended every race I could get to since I was able to walk and have no idea how many races that I have attended. Several hundred I'm sure. I hope I never become as jaded and uninspired with racing as several on here seem to have become. I wouldn't like myself very much if all I did was troll around and try to make other race fans as miserable as I apparently would be.

Feeling a little passive aggressive are we?

Meh....I don't know that the new chase has made that much of an impact. The regular season TV ratings were way down last year from the year before, and the chase viewership was up a whopping 0.3% over the 2013 chase. And you can still slack off and make the chase. Biffle and Newman didn't win and weren't putting up stellar numbers during the regular season, but made the chase anyway. Since 16 drivers get in now, you gotta have a pretty bad season not to make it in.

I liked Pastrana & Carmichael. I hoped they would succeed but they found out quick that it aint easy to muscle around these heavy cars.

I liked Pastrana & Carmichael. I hoped they would succeed but they found out quick that it aint easy to muscle around these heavy cars.
I didn't like them . I do think that they are the type of drivers Nascar needs , to interest a younger fan base. First they have to sell them to the existing fan base

We met Ricky Carmichael @ Bristol a few years back. He was riding around the campgrounds @ BMS before the truck series race and stopped by our campsite. I didn't recognize him but a few others there did. Shook his hand and got a few pics with him. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

I have maintained that if Nascar needs to run figure 8 races to attract a younger demographic then so be it. I have also suggested that giving out unused blocks of tickets to church groups or to under privileged children's groups would be a great idea. It introduces youngsters to the series, is great PR and a win win for everyone.

I had a great time as a devoted Nascar fan but my time has come and gone and now it is up to others to take up where I left off. After attending close to 100 live Nascar events I packed it in 5 years ago and Hell would have to freeze over for me to ever return. The problem Nascar has had for many years is that it is not replacing those that have checked out and they have no clue what needs to be done to resolve the problem.
You're still there ... you watch on TV.

You are part of an 800 million dollar per year revenue stream. NASCAR is very grateful to you.

Greg Biffle and Ryan Newman both had three Top 5s and ten Top 10s (no wins) in the regular season last year and made the Chase. As long as there are sixteen drivers in the Chase field you're always going to have the racing equivalent of whoever backs their way into the NBA Eastern Conference playoffs competing for the Cup.

Greg Biffle and Ryan Newman both had three Top 5s and ten Top 10s (no wins) in the regular season last year and made the Chase. As long as there are sixteen drivers in the Chase field you're always going to have the racing equivalent of whoever backs their way into the NBA Eastern Conference playoffs competing for the Cup.
Agreed, a 12 driver chase with eliminations of 3 might be better. However, this would put a dent in "win and you're in". With a 12 driver field, you'd likely have 1-3 race winners missing the chase every year. Guess that's why they have to go with 16.

Agreed, a 12 driver chase with eliminations of 3 might be better. However, this would put a dent in "win and you're in". With a 12 driver field, you'd likely have 1-3 race winners missing the chase every year. Guess that's why they have to go with 16.
That's what I would rather see, that way you have to win a couple of races to truly be locked in or win a race and simultaneously be really high up in points. I think it will be years before we ever see sixteen+ winners in the regular season again.

As it is now, I have no worries about Gordon or Harvick not making the Chase. As nerve-racking as it was, having it go down to the wire for Gordon in 2012 and 2013 made for a way more exciting regular season, in my opinion. Making the playoffs should be hard.

Meh....I don't know that the new chase has made that much of an impact. The regular season TV ratings were way down last year from the year before, and the chase viewership was up a whopping 0.3% over the 2013 chase. And you can still slack off and make the chase. Biffle and Newman didn't win and weren't putting up stellar numbers during the regular season, but made the chase anyway. Since 16 drivers get in now, you gotta have a pretty bad season not to make it in.

I didn't watch last year but I thought Matt Kenseth did not win a race yet still made the chase. IMO if Nascar wanted to make things really interesting they would mandate 1 win in order to qualify for the chase.

I didn't watch last year but I thought Matt Kenseth did not win a race yet still made the chase. IMO if Nascar wanted to make things really interesting they would mandate 1 win in order to qualify for the chase.
Right, Kenseth made the chase with no wins also but at least he had a bunch of top-5's and top-10's, whereas Biffle and Newman didn't have near as many. IIRC, Kenseth was leading the points for several weeks early in the year last year.

You're still there ... you watch on TV.

You are part of an 800 million dollar per year revenue stream. NASCAR is very grateful to you.

I am sure Nascar, like any other business, is happy for all the customers it has and I am happy to patronize Nascar to the extent I do. I didn't plan on it but ended up not watching Nascar last year but am glad to be back on the bandwagon this year.

There is a fine line between having not quite enough and to many. The NFL can be really tough as a 10 win team missed the playoffs in 2013 and 2014.

This is exactly the problem . You cannot change the rules for the chase every year , just to cover what weird thing happened last year . I guarantee there will be some nutty thing this year that would never happen again .

Just like the 48 team does on race day the NHL and NFL have seemed to be able to make adjustments in order to ensure a healthy audience and interest in the games. I give credit to MLB as they are trying new rules to speed up the game this year and it is something I will check out for sure.

I don't know what Nascar has done or can do in order to attract younger fans.
No worries Spongebob is coming.:D

This is exactly the problem . You cannot change the rules for the chase every year , just to cover what weird thing happened last year . I guarantee there will be some nutty thing this year that would never happen again .
Yeah, good or bad, they should probably leave it alone for a few years for continuity's sake. I have my doubts about Brian France's ability to do that however. I bet we see a significant tweak, if not a major overhaul, by the end of the decade.

In fact, that's what Kyle and Kurt did. They rode around all year. Not sure on this but they were in like the 20s in the standings before Richmond.

Seems to me you can be riding around all you want and still make it in. Provided you have that win.

In fact, that's what Kyle and Kurt did. They rode around all year. Not sure on this but they were in like the 20s in the standings before Richmond.

Seems to me you can be riding around all you want and still make it in. Provided you have that win.
You can ride around all year as long as you have a win and are within the top 20 in points I think it is.

You arent going to brag about getting to go to Martinsville again are you ;)

Back
Top Bottom