Atlanta ratings

I didn't watch last year but I thought Matt Kenseth did not win a race yet still made the chase. IMO if Nascar wanted to make things really interesting they would mandate 1 win in order to qualify for the chase.

Yep, Matt couldnt buy a win last year, he did manage a NW win though

nascar is never going to be like the NFL, it's not a home team sport. most people have to travel for hours just to see a race. plus I see very little young people driving around in V-8 hot rods.

I didn't watch last year but I thought Matt Kenseth did not win a race yet still made the chase. IMO if Nascar wanted to make things really interesting they would mandate 1 win in order to qualify for the chase.

Then what do you do with a driver who wins a race at the start of the year and is guaranteed a spot in the chase?

Simple answer, the racing sucked and the old Chase made it worse. The drivers cared more about finishing races than winning races. Thanks to the new Chase that everyone loves to hate on, they can't just ride around and 15th place their way to the Chase anymore.

What exactly is the difference between riding around to collect points and riding around because you are already locked in ?

Yeah, good or bad, they should probably leave it alone for a few years for continuity's sake. I have my doubts about Brian France's ability to do that however. I bet we see a significant tweak, if not a major overhaul, by the end of the decade.

I think Nascar should leave the Chase alone as 1 year is not enough to determine if it is good for the series or not.

In fact, that's what Kyle and Kurt did. They rode around all year. Not sure on this but they were in like the 20s in the standings before Richmond.

Seems to me you can be riding around all you want and still make it in. Provided you have that win.

As near as I can tell once you get a win you could use some races for testing sessions and to try different things if that is what you wanted to do. Maybe some guys like Stenhouse and Hornish have to go balls to the wall each race but if they do it is hard to tell.

For many years I considered Bristol to be the best track in Nascar but now I think it is Martinsville. I wish they ran more than 6 short track races a year.

Yep, Martinsville gets my vote lately too, and I would be happy with a steady diet of short track and road course

As near as I can tell once you get a win you could use some races for testing sessions and to try different things if that is what you wanted to do. Maybe some guys like Stenhouse and Hornish have to go balls to the wall each race but if they do it is hard to tell.

Didn't Jimmie and Chad do that , use the final few races as test sessions?

Kevin Harvick was riding around because he was locked in? Dale Jr? Jimmie Johnson? Joey Logano? Could have fooled me.

Once they got that first win, moot point.

They could have ridden around or go for wins without giving a simple fuc.

If you're a Kevin Harvick you will go for wins because why ride around when you have a fast car good enough to be up front?

If you're an AJ Allmendinger, you get that lucky win and you ride around because that's all you can do.

Kevin Harvick was riding around because he was locked in? Dale Jr? Jimmie Johnson? Joey Logano? Could have fooled me.

Kevin Harvick was riding around prior to this version of the chase? Dale Jr? Jimmie Johnson? JLo? Could have fooled me.

Kevin Harvick was riding around prior to this version of the chase? Dale Jr? Jimmie Johnson? JLo? Could have fooled me.

Drivers definitely were prior to this.

You know what I didn't hear last year?

"We had a great points day" - driver who finished second or worse.

I did hear drivers get pissed off over finishing second because winning would put them in the Chase. I heard drivers pissed about a top-five finish because they need to win.

So, spare me the pious bologna.

For many years I considered Bristol to be the best track in Nascar but now I think it is Martinsville. I wish they ran more than 6 short track races a year.
Yep, Martinsville gets my vote lately too, and I would be happy with a steady diet of short track and road course
We had been going to both Bristol and Martinsville for many years. Both are equal distance for us to travel to. Recently we decided to give up two of the races that we go to. We chose to keep Martinsville over Bristol without question. Bristol is a great experience that everyone should have on their bucket list but Martinsville is a helluva race each and every time we go there. Much more of an old school feel to it. Less than half the cost of a Bristol ticket doesn't hurt either. The fall race is the favorite of the two for us but that being said it's only 21 days until we leave for this springs race there..... But who's counting?

Didn't Jimmie and Chad do that , use the final few races as test sessions?

I am not sure about last year but in previous years you could tell they were trying different things. I can remember sometimes the team having to undo what they did and other times it really working.

Maybe if they tried to shake the image of the Southern Good Ole Boys Club and tried harder to appeal to a more diverse demographic they'd see a ratings boost.

But that's just my $0.02.

Maybe if they tried to shake the image of the Southern Good Ole Boys Club and tried harder to appeal to a more diverse demographic they'd see a ratings boost.
Theyve been trying that for over a decade & ratings are falling. Imo NASCAR should realize that the 90s are not coming back & should go back to appealing to their key demographic.

Drivers definitely were prior to this.

You know what I didn't hear last year?

"We had a great points day" - driver who finished second or worse.

I did hear drivers get pissed off over finishing second because winning would put them in the Chase. I heard drivers pissed about a top-five finish because they need to win.

So, spare me the pious bologna.

I think you are having selective memory but that is JMO.

Theyve been trying that for over a decade & ratings are falling. Imo NASCAR should realize that the 90s are not coming back & should go back to appealing to their key demographic.

That could either work very well, or back diet very badly.

I really think you have something there . Part of the appeal was the moonshining good ol southern boys . When Nascar went all New York City , having the banquet there and trying to build a track there , it lost something .

what do you think they have doing with the chase and building all these 1.5 tracks out side the good old boy south?

I really think you have something there . Part of the appeal was the moonshining good ol southern boys . When Nascar went all New York City , having the banquet there and trying to build a track there , it lost something .
I think their first banquet in New York was in 1982. I know they had been going there for 27 years before moving to Las Vegas. For me personally, where NASCAR chooses to hold its banquet doesn't affect my feeling about the sport.

I could see how that would have applied in years past but not lately. Roger Penske, Joe Gibbs, Tony Stewart, Jack Roush and Chip Ganassi are successful owners and are not southerners. Going back to 1995 I can see only one season's end champ (Dale Jarrett) that could be considered a southerner and how many southerners drive for Hendrick, JGR, CGR, RFR, Penske, RCR, SHR etc. I don't see any but I could be missing something.

Maybe they could take a page out of F1?

They seem to be doing okay
I tried giving F1 a few race chance a while back. I couldn't find its appeal. I think on two of the races I watched, I saw the race into the first turn on the first lap. The leader retained that spot for the remainder of the race. That sport must be an acquired taste kinda like liver and onions. I don't like that either.

I tried giving F1 a few race chance a while back. I couldn't find its appeal. I think on two of the races I watched, I saw the race into the first turn on the first lap. The leader retained that spot for the remainder of the race. That sport must be an acquired taste kinda like liver and onions. I don't like that either.
I love onions on my burgers and sandwiches.

F1 is just as big of a mess as NASCAR is, albeit a smaller one than IndyCar is.

What seems to be their problem? Point system?

F1 is international so it will always have a strong following because of the variaty so I dont think you can compare it to NASCAR.

It's nice seeing them all around the world. Technologically, NASCAR doesn't hold a candle to these guys.

That along is appealing.

I don't know if it is still this way but it seemed whoever won the pole in F1 most often won the race.

Back
Top Bottom