Atlanta ratings

What seems to be their problem? Point system?

F1 is international so it will always have a strong following because of the variaty so I dont think you can compare it to NASCAR.

It's nice seeing them all around the world. Technologically, NASCAR doesn't hold a candle to these guys.

That along is appealing.
Their points system is perfect. I love it. It's the best or second-best I know of.

What sucks is the constant arguing about the technical regulations (Ferrari wants this kind of engine, Honda and Mercedes want this kind of engine, Red Bull and McLaren want this shape of car...), about the cost savings, about the revenue sharing (Ferrari gets a certain amount of money just for being Ferrari while teams like Caterham, Marussia, Force India, Lotus, and Sauber shut down or go into administration or are year-to-year on whether or not they can race...this plays into the cost savings discussion too), TV rights (most countries' rights have shifted from broadcast to cable in recent years), pay drivers, ticket prices, sterile and uninspiring circuits in rich countries taking events away from traditional and interesting venues, refusal to embrace social media, banning helmet designs, and so on. A lot of that sound familiar?

I still like it but there's no doubt it has its issues as most other forms of motorsport do.

Their points system is perfect. I love it. It's the best or second-best I know of.

What sucks is the constant arguing about the technical regulations (Ferrari wants this kind of engine, Honda and Mercedes want this kind of engine, Red Bull and McLaren want this shape of car...), about the cost savings, about the revenue sharing (Ferrari gets a certain amount of money just for being Ferrari while teams like Caterham, Marussia, Force India, Lotus, and Sauber shut down or go into administration or are year-to-year on whether or not they can race...this plays into the cost savings discussion too), TV rights (most countries' rights have shifted from broadcast to cable in recent years), pay drivers, ticket prices, sterile and uninspiring circuits in rich countries taking events away from traditional and interesting venues, refusal to embrace social media, banning helmet designs, and so on. A lot of that sound familiar?

I still like it but there's no doubt it has its issues as most other forms of motorsport do.

I believe you just went HAM.

Kind of an uniformed opinion. F1 management wanted three races in the US by 2016.
nascar is on the decline, Indy is on the decline her in the states but f1 is the next big thing in racing her in the states? not seeing it. is Texas sold out?

how many races do they have here in the states?
Just one in Texas, but the track they run at (Circuit of the Americas) is terrible in my opinion, and there could be another in New Jersey, but that has been delayed for a couple of years.

For many years I considered Bristol to be the best track in Nascar but now I think it is Martinsville. I wish they ran more than 6 short track races a year.

They did back when the growth potential seemed unlimited.

nascar is on the decline, Indy is on the decline her in the states but f1 is the next big thing in racing her in the states? not seeing it. is Texas sold out?
They wanted to race in New Jersey, literally across the river from downtown Manhattan. And they wanted to take over the IndyCar race in Long Beach. That would make three races in the United States.

I don't know if it's the next big thing in the United States but you acted like there's no interest. They wanted to have three races here. New Jersey is due to issues with the city and Long Beach people decided to keep it an IndyCar race.

They sold 113,000 race day tickets for the F1 race in Austin and 250,325 tickets over the whole three-day weekend.

I want to see an Indycar/F1 long beach same day double-header.. I'm pretty sure seats would be about $2,000 a piece though...

Unfortunately veiwers were treated to another pathetic qualifying process, and another example of quarterly earnings meaning more than the drivers safety.

Just one in Texas, but the track they run at (Circuit of the Americas) is terrible in my opinion, and there could be another in New Jersey, but that has been delayed for a couple of years.

I don't know why F1 didn't work at Indy but it didn't last long.

They did back when the growth potential seemed unlimited.

I used to not be that crazy about road courses but now I love them as there is always action and a lot of driver skill on display. I like Sears Point (or whatever it is called now) better than WG but it is still good. So I have 2 RC's, 6 short tracks and I also like flat tracks like Phoenix and NH so I do have some races to look forward to.

Some tracks that I am not crazy about are Pocono (I liked it better when they shifted) MIS, Cali and the 1.5 milers can get dull. Hopefully this year's car will improve them.

I used to not be that crazy about road courses but now I love them as there is always action and a lot of driver skill on display. I like Sears Point (or whatever it is called now) better than WG but it is still good. So I have 2 RC's, 6 short tracks and I also like flat tracks like Phoenix and NH so I do have some races to look forward to.

Some tracks that I am not crazy about are Pocono (I liked it better when they shifted) MIS, Cali and the 1.5 milers can get dull. Hopefully this year's car will improve them.

Yep, well said.

I am excited for Chase's future as he could be "the next one."

It seems so dependent on luck today for these kids . Qualifying , win and you're in chase , the Homestead lotto . I know these kids are extremely talented but they also need to get lucky . Great drivers like Jimmie Johnson didn't have enough luck to even be in the running at Homestead last year . I hope that the kids can overcome all that crap , but I don't see how.

Chase is going to need a year or two before I believe he can even be considered to make the Chase. Even though he's going to have top notch equipment he still going to have to learn Cup racing.

Chase is going to need a year or two before I believe he can even be considered to make the Chase. Even though he's going to have top notch equipment he still going to have to learn Cup racing.

The good news is ,that (according to Andy) , they will both be trying to win races and won't be riding aound looking for good points days .

It seems so dependent on luck today for these kids . Qualifying , win and you're in chase , the Homestead lotto . I know these kids are extremely talented but they also need to get lucky . Great drivers like Jimmie Johnson didn't have enough luck to even be in the running at Homestead last year . I hope that the kids can overcome all that crap , but I don't see how.

I agree but Nascar has often billed itself as a show and I can only assume that they feel their show will be enhanced by essentially running a lottery for the championship. I don't know if the networks put pressure on Nascar to make changes to how a champ is crowned but I think it is possible.

IMO the stick and ball mentality does not serve Nascar well and the traditional way of crowning a champ could have been tweaked and been a win win for all. Points for winning races could have been greatly increased and some other adjustments could have been made to encourage running all out.

I agree but Nascar has often billed itself as a show and I can only assume that they feel their show will be enhanced by essentially running a lottery for the championship. I don't know if the networks put pressure on Nascar to make changes to how a champ is crowned but I think it is possible.

IMO the stick and ball mentality does not serve Nascar well and the traditional way of crowning a champ could have been tweaked and been a win win for all. Points for winning races could have been greatly increased and some other adjustments could have been made to encourage running all out.
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

I thought it was a great show when Richard Petty , Dale Earnhardt , Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson were winning . Frankly , today , Trevor Bayne has an equal chance to win the championship as Jimmie Johnson . All he has to do is stay top twenty in points , win one race and top two other cars at Homestead . Is there ever going to be another multi year champion? Being the greatest doesn't count for squat.

did anyone notice how terrible the attendance was?? if atlanta isn't careful it may be like rockingham in 5 years.

Getting close to time to resurrect one of the ol' I Hate the Chase Threads. And we were doing so well too.

It's not the chase IMO , that disturbs me . It is the shift away from a points based system to a 'dumb luck ' system . You can make the chase by dumb luck and you can win a championship the same way . You don't need to be a consistantly great driver all year long , or even all chase long , you just need the cautions to fall your way in one or two races.

I thought it was a great show when Richard Petty , Dale Earnhardt , Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson were winning . Frankly , today , Trevor Bayne has an equal chance to win the championship as Jimmie Johnson . All he has to do is stay top twenty in points , win one race and top two other cars at Homestead . Is there ever going to be another multi year champion? Being the greatest doesn't count for squat.

I think what Nascar might have been after is the parity the NHL and NFL have due to their salary caps. In either league you can be awful one year and pretty decent the next. Obviously this does not translate at all to Nascar and in fact really dumbs things down.

I agree 100% with the points you put forth as they make total sense. I am a competitive person so it goes against my grain to have a lottery to determine the champion.

did anyone notice how terrible the attendance was?? if atlanta isn't careful it may be like rockingham in 5 years.
I didn't think it was that bad considering the weather. Probably not too different from many other tracks. TV revenue is where it's at anyways.

I didn't think it was that bad considering the weather. Probably not too different from many other tracks. TV revenue is where it's at anyways.

I understand when people down south hunker down in snow or ice as they don't have the means to remove it and they sure as heck can't drive in it. However I don't understand staying away from something because the weather is a little cool. Over 100,000 hockey fans watched Detroit and Toronto play in the Big House a couple of years ago and the Bills, Bears and Packers fill the stands even if the temp is below zero.

I understand when people down south hunker down in snow or ice as they don't have the means to remove it and they sure as heck can't drive in it. However I don't understand staying away from something because the weather is a little cool. Over 100,000 hockey fans watched Detroit and Toronto play in the Big House a couple of years ago and the Bills, Bears and Packers fill the stands even if the temp is below zero.
Cold isn't that bad, it's that it was both cold and wet. Not a very fun combo. It was still misting when they were doing pace laps.

Wait, the Atlanta race was the most watched raced that's not the Daytona 500 since 2011? But, I thought NASCAR was dying.
Not quite sure how that is, according to Jayski the 2015 Atlanta rating was down 4% vs. the 2013 Phoenix race that aired the same weekend.

There is always one.
49ers_playoff002-900x648.jpg

Back
Top Bottom