Attendance and millenials

The thing with a race is....it doesn't really take total concentration? Yes, something can happen every lap but

Millennials don't like to do anything that takes 'prep.' Heck they (we?) don't eat cereal because of the clean-up:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/02/23/this-is-the-height-of-laziness/

So best to have options on-site for this generation.

If I had not clicked the link and read the story I would have thought the whole thing was a joke. I like convenience as much as the next person but doing dishes, washing a car or mowing a lawn are just part of life and don't bother me.

If being able to drink all day at or near the track sells tickets to younger folks then the tracks should be marketing the heck out of it and making it as friendly as possible.

Best way I can think of to do this is have the pre-race telecast setup among the crowds of tailgaters ala college football gameday.
college-gameday-penn-state-29f118126a684cbc.jpg

^^

Raceday used to do this. I stopped watching it because of over hype over the years, but they had a setup to replicate College GameDay, right down to the Home Depot sponsorship. I don't think they do it anymore, which suggests it wasn't successful.

If I had not clicked the link and read the story I would have thought the whole thing was a joke. I like convenience as much as the next person but doing dishes, washing a car or mowing a lawn are just part of life and don't bother me.
Eh, I couldn't tell you the last time I washed the car by hand. It probably only goes through the car wash a couple of times a year. In five or six years, I've NEVER washed the truck; after all, it's a truck.

Best way I can think of to do this is have the pre-race telecast setup among the crowds of tailgaters ala college football gameday.
college-gameday-penn-state-29f118126a684cbc.jpg
Uh, the pre-race already is set up in front of the fans. I can't claim to get the appeal of watching the back of commentators' heads, but it's there if anyone wants.

It's not about the fans getting to watch the broadcast, it's about the broadcast advertising the live experience. Which, I guess isn't necessarily in the best interest of a TV broadcaster.

It's not about the fans getting to watch the broadcast, it's about the broadcast advertising the live experience. Which, I guess isn't necessarily in the best interest of a TV broadcaster.
I think it's more about the fans' desire to be on the tube, something else I've never understood.

Eh, I couldn't tell you the last time I washed the car by hand. It probably only goes through the car wash a couple of times a year. In five or six years, I've NEVER washed the truck; after all, it's a truck.

Shame on you......a clean vehicle is next to godliness.....:)

^^

Raceday used to do this. I stopped watching it because of over hype over the years, but they had a setup to replicate College GameDay, right down to the Home Depot sponsorship. I don't think they do it anymore, which suggests it wasn't successful.
I gave up watching RD for the most part, the only time I watch it is for Saturday night races. There was also Track Side live. The tag was, Race Day ,Built By The Home Depot. If I am not mistaken, itsnt Race Day now all studio based from the Race Hub Studio like how Victory Lane is being done.

One of the things I like about NBC, is they do their Victory Lane show live from the track, and same for the pre pre race show.

Trackside Live! Man do I miss that show! Used to watch that religiously.

As far as millennials go, well, I am one. I see both sides of the coin. I went to the New Hampshire truck race last fall with a couple friends, brought a bunch of light beer, I ate chicken fingers and clam chowder that I bought at the track, and had a great time. There's nothing wrong with low key style food and drinks to me.

BUT. Millennials are very value driven. We don't, on average, have a lot of spending money, yet we want a good experience. When you pay a ludicrous amount of money for a bleacher seat, and then get charged a ton of money for cheap and greasy food on top of it, I totally understand why people in their 20s aren't really going to Cup races. The reason why we went to the truck race and not the Cup race was because the Cup race was just too damn expensive. We went home that night, about a six hour drive away, and then I watched the Cup race the next day on my couch. My friends and I are 23. That's a problem.

The cost of entry is too high. Spending a whole race weekend at the track is absurd. They're charging premium prices but you aren't getting a upscale experience. As the article said, you need to enhance the live experience with better food and drinks. I like the idea of standing room and having an on-track tailgating experience. The Talladega infield is a legend all its own, so why aren't more tracks trying to capture a similar experience?

Like I said, the value just isn't there. I would honestly rather stay at home, knock back some cold ones and eat wings with friends and watch on TV. It's much cheaper, more convenient, and I find it hard to follow a race without a scanner and by the way that only costs more money. Money money money. They're pricing themselves out of the market.

This concludes my rant.

Actually........ I agree Cheesepuffs..... the aggravation of tickets, lodging, travel expense and everything involved just isn't worth it to me anymore.... I can see the race at home..... when it's over...... I'm home already.... no traffic...... no long drive....... SHAZAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as millennials go, well, I am one. I see both sides of the coin. I went to the New Hampshire truck race last fall with a couple friends, brought a bunch of light beer, I ate chicken fingers and clam chowder that I bought at the track, and had a great time. There's nothing wrong with low key style food and drinks to me.

BUT. Millennials are very value driven. We don't, on average, have a lot of spending money, yet we want a good experience. When you pay a ludicrous amount of money for a bleacher seat, and then get charged a ton of money for cheap and greasy food on top of it, I totally understand why people in their 20s aren't really going to Cup races. The reason why we went to the truck race and not the Cup race was because the Cup race was just too damn expensive. We went home that night, about a six hour drive away, and then I watched the Cup race the next day on my couch. My friends and I are 23. That's a problem.

The cost of entry is too high. Spending a whole race weekend at the track is absurd. They're charging premium prices but you aren't getting a upscale experience. As the article said, you need to enhance the live experience with better food and drinks. I like the idea of standing room and having an on-track tailgating experience. The Talladega infield is a legend all its own, so why aren't more tracks trying to capture a similar experience?

Like I said, the value just isn't there. I would honestly rather stay at home, knock back some cold ones and eat wings with friends and watch on TV. It's much cheaper, more convenient, and I find it hard to follow a race without a scanner and by the way that only costs more money. Money money money. They're pricing themselves out of the market.

This concludes my rant.

The key word in your post is value and it applies across all generations and is used in everything from buying a can of soup to purchasing a car. Value comprises many things including price, quality and time and if a person's perceived value doesn't line up with the overall costs involved they won't bite. From what you and other Millennials have said attending a Nascar Cup race doesn't even come close to representing value.

The key word in your post is value and it applies across all generations and is used in everything from buying a can of soup to purchasing a car. Value comprises many things including price, quality and time and if a person's perceived value doesn't line up with the overall costs involved they won't bite. From what you and other Millennials have said attending a Nascar Cup race doesn't even come close to representing value.

Exactly. Marketing is all about value and customer relationships. I would say the marketers for NASCAR and the tracks are doing a horrible job. They need to conduct research on younger people and target their wants, needs, and demands. Millennials are now the single largest age group in the United States. Not the biggest spenders right now, but the biggest group. If you let the biggest age demographic slip through your fingers then you're setting yourself up for failure not only now but also down the road.

This concludes my rant.
Thanks for the insights. The only millennials I know are co-workers, and I don't hang out with them (or anyone else) after work.

Exactly. Marketing is all about value and customer relationships. I would say the marketers for NASCAR and the tracks are doing a horrible job. They need to conduct research on younger people and target their wants, needs, and demands. Millennials are now the single largest age group in the United States. Not the biggest spenders right now, but the biggest group. If you let the biggest age demographic slip through your fingers then you're setting yourself up for failure not only now but also down the road.

What you have said makes perfect sense and it seems crazy that Nascar and the tracks are not intensely targeting Millennials and doing everything they can do to get them to the track. Ignoring a generation of prospective customers is just plain dumb.

Last couple of years I've gone to Richmond, The Tilted Kilt had basically a full-blown bar set up just outside the main entrance to the track. Is this done at any other tracks?

Last year for the 600 they had an array of craft beer stands set up outside the race and this was also done a few other SMI tracks:

"The craft brew craze is coming to Charlotte Motor Speedway - and Speedway Motorsports, Inc. properties across the country - with a one-of-a-kind mobile mega-experience of regionally-sourced suds as the Speedway All-American Craft Brewers' Tour kicks off during the 10 Days of NASCAR Thunder next month.

The Speedway All-American Craft Brewers' Tour will feature the Beer Haven mobile festival, a first-of-its-kind, self-pour beer sampling station billed as the world's largest mobile bar and brewery. During the 10 Days of NASCAR Thunder, Beer Haven will serve more than 50 tasty craft beers from Charlotte-regional craft breweries during both the NASCAR Sprint All-Star and Coca-Cola 600 race weekends."

http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.c...eedway-motorsports-facilities-nationwide.html

I've never actually been to the track, but I can't imagine being worried about checking my phone, uploading pics, drinking hipster beer, etc. Just give me a scanner and I'd be happy. I'll probably go to Watkins Glen this year, which is great :)

Eh. Why pay for a ticket to a race when I can use that for a concert or a Broadway show? I can watch the race on TV or catch the highlights on Twitter. I was never super interested in going to a race.

if you build it they will come. Harvard students from Texas are not going to drive 3 hours on barren, unknown country roads to see NHMS. Build another
Pocono track closer to Harvard.

^^

Actually, it was. I never understood the appeal. Just a bunch of drunk idiots trying to get on TV.

Being 20, I think the problem is less attendance and simply interest in the sport. Atleast where I'm from being a Motorsports fan isn't the cool thing to do.

But past that it's just a money and time thing. We have more things to spend our money on and more thing to take up our time than young people did 15-20 years ago, so attending live sporting events is less of a priority. Its not like Nascar is the only thing suffering from this though, but their management has done little to help the problem compared to other sports.

Actually, it was. I never understood the appeal. Just a bunch of drunk idiots trying to get on TV.
That was the one thing I didnt like about RD , was all the fans trying to get on TV

Being 20, I think the problem is less attendance and simply interest in the sport. Atleast where I'm from being a Motorsports fan isn't the cool thing to do.
You bring up a very good point, millenials are all about whats trendy and whats "now", and from whats said in the media about millenials, they dont seem to have much interest in automobiles , they just see them as a way to get from point A-B, so its not surprising that they dont like motor-sports, or find it "trendy" .

You were also the author of the blasphemy that read, "I hate short tracks". :p
I find this funny, when I was kid, when I first started watching NASCAR, I hated short tracks too, but as I grew up, I started to enjoy them more , I think once I got into my teens , I had started to come around to them.

Eh. Why pay for a ticket to a race when I can use that for a concert or a Broadway show? I can watch the race on TV or catch the highlights on Twitter. I was never super interested in going to a race.
Why go to a concert when you can buy the album? Why pay for a Broadway show when it will show up on YouTube or NetFlix eventually?

"Because it's better live!"

Same thing with going to the track. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall you're at U. Va. Richmond and Martinsville aren't that far, and the X ($40) or Truck ($30) races are cheap enough to give it a try.

.. they dont seem to have much interest in automobiles , they just see them as a way to get from point A-B, so its not surprising that they dont like motor-sports, or find it "trendy" .
I've never had interest in automobiles beyond transportation. That hasn't stopped me. A higher percentage of the population has driven a car than strapped on a football helmet.

Why go to a concert when you can buy the album? Why pay for a Broadway show when it will show up on YouTube or NetFlix eventually?

"Because it's better live!"

Same thing with going to the track. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall you're at U. Va. Richmond and Martinsville aren't that far, and the X ($40) or Truck ($30) races are cheap enough to give it a try.

Yea no. I'm in Norfolk... about a 2.5hr drive from Richmond, and then there's fact I'd have noooo one to go with me. But let's say hypothetically I could strong arm a friend to go with me.

That's $80 for tickets, plus another $200 for hotel, $50 for gas, $50 for food, plus what ever other expense. To sit outside (I hate being outside) and watch a race that might get delayed or canceled for rain, or to watch Kyle Busch win.

Concerts and Broadway show rarely get cancelled, and if they do there is plenty of time to cancel or re do your plans. Often times you don't know a race isn't happening or is getting delayed until you are at the track and there is no refund. Plus I can stay INSIDE And add in the fact, I get positively bored after a few laps and I need to find other ways to entertain myself. At home I can switch channels, have a phone call, do homework, do my hair etc

Oh and did I mention I hate sitting outside.

There also other reasons I wouldn't go to a race, but that's for the podium...

Sigh. This thread is confusing to this old guy. What seems strange is that millennials and their parents are like totally different species. One thing I know for sure... being a successful race promoter has always been tough, and is getting even tougher at a rapid rate.

if you build it they will come. Harvard students from Texas are not going to drive 3 hours on barren, unknown country roads to see NHMS. Build another
Pocono track closer to Harvard.

Wait, what?

Loudon is literally an hour and a half up Interstate 93 from Boston/Cambridge.

The rain is actually a big issue (maybe more for poor millennials?) I just moved to Milwaukee where they have a retractable roof stadium. I've gone to a lot more Brewers games already because I know the game won't be rained out, and I can all but guarantee my money won't be wasted. It's even worse if goin entails a hotel/road trip/missed work for people early in their 'career/living at home as an adult baby.'

Back
Top Bottom