Attendance and millenials

Mine will get me to Charlottesville in two and a half hours If you're in Norfolk, you're closer than I am too.

"Because it's better live!"

I dont agree with that, I have no use for live music or going to concerts, sure, its cool to hear live music, but I would say it always sounds better, its more for the experience , but one I dont want again.

I dont even really enjoy going to races anymore, but that has a lot do with when I go now, I am going as just fan vs the time when I got to go as a guest of a driver, its hard going back lol, having to pay for tickets. But I would rather stay home and watch the race on my TV then sitting in the stands, I get more out of going to the race for everything but the race.

Eh. Why pay for a ticket to a race when I can use that for a concert or a Broadway show? I can watch the race on TV or catch the highlights on Twitter. I was never super interested in going to a race.

If you get a chance to attend a race and it isn't a major hassle or expense I would as the live experience cannot be aptly described. I completely understand your reasoning for spending your time and money on entertainment options other than Nascar as I do the same.

Why go to a concert when you can buy the album? Why pay for a Broadway show when it will show up on YouTube or NetFlix eventually?

"Because it's better live!"

Same thing with going to the track. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall you're at U. Va. Richmond and Martinsville aren't that far, and the X ($40) or Truck ($30) races are cheap enough to give it a try.

IMO, when you are attending a live event a lot of it's worth is dependent on where you are situated. At Bristol and Darlington I was perched high in the air in front of the pits so it was very worthwhile. At Indy I have been in suites and different seating areas and unless you are super easy to please or have another agenda it simple ain't worth attending even for free.

I attended a play recently and it was a well done production in a smaller setting and I had great seats and the experience was second to none. I have attended rock concerts, operas, plays and ball games that basically sucked as it was either difficult to see or hear. For me it isn't worth attending a live event if you have to make extensive use of binoculars or watch from a large screen monitor.

I don't think they have the patience to watch an entire race, much less two in the same weekend.

I can watch multiple football and hockey games during the week and weekend but I am good for only one race a week. I think the cup events have been very good this year, other than the plate races, so I have enjoyed them. The few X and truck events I have seen don't have much competition and have bored me to tears. In those series you may have 2 very good cars/trucks and then some so so and then just underfunded stuff that shouldn't even unload.

The rain is actually a big issue (maybe more for poor millennials?) I just moved to Milwaukee where they have a retractable roof stadium. I've gone to a lot more Brewers games already because I know the game won't be rained out, and I can all but guarantee my money won't be wasted. It's even worse if goin entails a hotel/road trip/missed work for people early in their 'career/living at home as an adult baby.'

Good points as a guarantee of something happening is a major bonus. Very rarely will you see an NFL game delayed due to weather and with basketball and hockey weather is never an issue so making plans is easy. I know that I would not drop big bucks to go on a cruise if at the halfway point it was considered complete or it was rain delayed. When I attended races all I had invested was the price of the ticket as I always had a backup plan and an out if weather struck.

I dont agree with that, I have no use for live music or going to concerts, sure, its cool to hear live music, but I would say it always sounds better, its more for the experience , but one I dont want again.

I dont even really enjoy going to races anymore, but that has a lot do with when I go now, I am going as just fan vs the time when I got to go as a guest of a driver, its hard going back lol, having to pay for tickets. But I would rather stay home and watch the race on my TV then sitting in the stands, I get more out of going to the race for everything but the race.

Speaking for aging baby boomers going to live events can be challenging at times due to the odometer on the poor old body. Many of us have nagging physical difficulties we can make do with in every day life but they are exacerbated by having to stand for long periods, climb stairs or lugging heavy objects.

When I saw the injury Kyle Busch sustained last year I felt terrible for him even though he will be fine during his driving career. Unless there are significant medical advances his injury will start haunting him in another 15 years or so.

Yea no. I'm in Norfolk... about a 2.5hr drive from Richmond, and then there's fact I'd have noooo one to go with me. But let's say hypothetically I could strong arm a friend to go with me.

That's $80 for tickets, plus another $200 for hotel, $50 for gas, $50 for food, plus what ever other expense. To sit outside (I hate being outside) and watch a race that might get delayed or canceled for rain, or to watch Kyle Busch win.

Concerts and Broadway show rarely get cancelled, and if they do there is plenty of time to cancel or re do your plans. Often times you don't know a race isn't happening or is getting delayed until you are at the track and there is no refund. Plus I can stay INSIDE And add in the fact, I get positively bored after a few laps and I need to find other ways to entertain myself. At home I can switch channels, have a phone call, do homework, do my hair etc

Oh and did I mention I hate sitting outside.

There also other reasons I wouldn't go to a race, but that's for the podium...
You're in Norfolk. Why would you mess with hotel rooms??? Heck, I've driven 3.5 hours one way to Atlanta, caught a race, and driven home in the same day.

But it's all moot if you hate to be outside. I got nothing for you there. Well, maybe pity. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom