Austin Dillion really is a spoiled rich kid

I think it is. Look how Tony's wonderful personality allows him to race hard and yet still be a gentleman. :sarcasm:

It's possible to be a self-entitled asshat and a decent race-car driver simultaneously.

Howdy Doody is a perfect example of that.

I think it is possible to be a self entitled asshat and be a decent forum member too.

I offer no examples...........:D

As someone else pointed out racing is a rich man's game and I think over the course of time we will see more and more wealthy kids in the series primarily due to means and not talent. If these rich kids have talent or it can be developed then great but think of it in terms of Danica Patrick, the Dillon boys or Paul Menard. As long as those mentioned can maintain minimum speed they will have a ride as on track performance is not something they are graded on like you see with drivers like Kasey Kahne and others that need to post decent results or they are out when their contract expires.

I disagree...he looks pretty awful being around his current teammates when he's a 25th place driver this year. If his results stayed the same, he would look much better at a team like Penske where he is surrounded by Keselowski and Logano. Dillon is clearly getting the best equipment at RCR and there is no need for anyone aside from drivers whose last name is not Dillon to stick around at RCR.

You think that Menard pulling top 25's would look better around guys routinely pulling top 5's?

Reactions: Acs
I had one interaction with him a few years ago. He was at a dirt race hanging out with the team his father owns. I took a picture of him and he looked my way. I asked him where his cowboy hat was and he said he didn't bring, but to look for it soon (at Bristol). He could have been a jerk and said something stupid and blew me off. But he laughed about it when he said it. I have no problem with him.

As some people here might know, I'm not a fan of the "silver spooners." The problem is my wife chose Dillon as her favorite driver after we went to the FireCracker 400 weekend last year (won the Xfinity race, crazy wreck in Cup race). She is a new race fan, so I keep my mouth closed about him at home. This forum is my only outlet! Recently, she said she probably should have chosen Chase Elliot instead, so maybe there's hope.

As some people here might know, I'm not a fan of the "silver spooners." The problem is my wife chose Dillon as her favorite driver after we went to the FireCracker 400 weekend last year (won the Xfinity race, crazy wreck in Cup race). She is a new race fan, so I keep my mouth closed about him at home. This forum is my only outlet! Recently, she said she probably should have chosen Chase Elliot instead, so maybe there's hope.

When Chase wins a race before Austin, she might change her mind. :D

It's possible to be a self-entitled asshat and a decent race-car driver simultaneously.
The sport is chock full of them. Most sports have their share of competent but unlikeable twits. Most non-sports jobs do, too.

Last edited:
You think that Menard pulling top 25's would look better around guys routinely pulling top 5's?
I think Paul is getting long in the tooth and should probably take whatever opportunities are offered him next time around. He's a solid journeyman-level racer, but he doesn't have what I'd look for to fill the role of a mentor to young guns, especially not to the Penske twins.

so you have 20 million to spend next year, Would you write the check to Richard Childress or Roger Penske? given the current state of the sport and the state of the teams. I would write the check to Penske, I would also think penske would love to have a 3 year deal fully sponsored.

Never been crazy about Austin, but he is good driver and proving to be worthy of his ride, especially this year. Besides his GF is hawt and good eye candy, hence I rank him as tolerable

Its very easy to come away with the impression that silver spoon boy may be a spoiled rich kid from listing to the radio traffic this past weekend, he was crying out to RC because checkbook was racing him, and then hearing how RC was talking to checkbook over the radio, but at the same time, silver spoon boy was racing for his chance to make it into the Chase.

The only people who don't like the silver spoon boys are those that wish their family had put more effort into being well off. Richard Childress worked all his life in Nascar. He was smart enough to recognize his own ability and put the best man he could find in the car. He also tried to help his SIL and realized he didn't have it either. Now it is his Grandsons who get the chance ( Is this not something that everyone of us would love to be able to do?)
So far one of the boys is surviving, time will tell about the other. Menard's helps to keep the organization profitable.
I would like to see if Penske could make him run faster.

As a Penske fan, I hope Roger stays far away from Menard. That #12 ride is Ryan Blaneys by right.

I like Austin Dillion. They are pretty good race car drivers even if they are silver spooners.

This radio interactive is nothing. Especially at a short track like Richmond. Can't believe there is a 2 page thread on it. Seemed like a case where both drivers were racing each other hard and were very pissed. I think Richard Childress did a good job calming them down on the radio.

Austin seems like a whiner at times but a lot of drivers do. He's shown improvement in his 3rd season in Cup and actually looks viable at times this year, so I'll lay off the silver spoon. Ty has some work to do.

Back
Top Bottom