Austin Dillon's #3 Cup ride in 2014?

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by dpkimmel2001, Sep 17, 2013.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Could this be Austin Dillon's #3 Cup ride in 2014?

Last night, this image was making the round, apparently of Austin Dillon’s #3 Cheerios car for 2014. While Austin Dillon’s emergence into the Sprint Cup Series has yet to be confirmed (only strongly hinted at by Richard Childress Racing), it’s looking more and more clear as each day passes.

Austin Dillon will more than likely drive the #3 car, previously driven by Dale Earnhardt Sr. It looks as though the #3 font will be the same as Dale Sr.’s, as Childress owns the right to the font style.

[​IMG]
    I like it. Screw the haters.
  2. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

YEP.
  3. mreed

mreed nuthin fancy

I was pretty sure he'd be the one to bring the 3 back to Cup. He's been using it in NW for a while now, so it only makes sense for the number to follow him up to Cup.
  4. TexasRaceLady

TexasRaceLady Admin/TimeOut Monitor Staff Member Contributor

I like it. :)
    Mopardh9 and Matthew2470 like this.
  5. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Yep & I can't wait. It'll be good to see that car out there IMO. Nobody's ever gonna replace the man but it sure will bring back some memories for this old Earnhardt fan.
    Mopardh9 and SlicedBread22 like this.
  6. Bobw

Bobw Team Owner

It was inevitable the #3 would return, too bad it doesn't have a driver to match its fame. Just sayin'.....and lose the stupid hat!
    Bucky Badger and SlicedBread22 like this.
  7. TchainT

TchainT Crew Chief

NO. no no no no no no no no. No. You know, when Earnhardt died, Childress promised the #3 would never be driven in Cup again. He made that pretty clear. Good god. No.
    So, we have a year of NASCAR making every bad decision they can possibly make, they lost a manufacturer, and now this. I hope Dillon does absolutely horrid in that car.
  8. pjmolo

pjmolo Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .

I have no problem with Dillon being in the 3 car.

That yellow and black paint scheme looks kinda funky though.

Looks like a force fit of the Cheerios yellow and the desire to have a white 3 on a black background.
  9. TexasRaceLady

TexasRaceLady Admin/TimeOut Monitor Staff Member Contributor

Tchain, I remember Richard saying that, but how could he say "no" to his grandson.

Bobw, I agree about the hat.
  10. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

I think it looks way better than when Johny Benson used to run the Cheerios scheme.
  11. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Yes, things change. Opinions change.
  12. TchainT

TchainT Crew Chief

His grandson has not earned any right to take away the 3 from Dale Earnhardt.
    Kyle18fan likes this.
  13. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Some Earnhardt Jr. comments from earlier this year on the 3 coming back to Cup.....

“I think it'll be great,” Junior said Thursday at Daytona International Speedway. “It was an iconic number for my father and it means a lot to a lot of his fans. This sport doesn't really retire numbers, and all the numbers have history tied to them for several reasons. The No. 3 is no different. Austin wanted to come up through the ranks driving the No. 3 in dirt racing and the No. 3 in the Truck Series and the No. 3 in the Nationwide Series. He's earned the right to run that number as long as he wants.”

from here
  14. Jeffrey00

Jeffrey00 Stamos Cozy

I like it, and kudos to Cheerios to stepping back up into Nascar. I hope it is more than just one race. lol.
    FLRacingFan likes this.
  15. mreed

mreed nuthin fancy

I miss seeing that 3 on the track. I'm sure most people that were fans when Earnhardt was driving do too.
    When I see that slanted forward 3 on a race car I think of Dale, so in my mind it's a good thing.
    Wishing bad luck on Dillon for this is silly. I'd think you'd want him kicking ass in that car, and not hoping he does bad.
    FLRacingFan and dpkimmel2001 like this.
  16. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Yep.

Good looking car. I like how there are traces of black throughout the paint scheme, kinda like when Cheerios replaced STP as the primary on the 43 back in 2000, they made sure there was still plenty of Petty Blue on the car.

I really don't have a problem with the 3 coming back, I think enough time has passed. Austin's been running it for several years in Trucks and NW, so it won't be much of a shock to me to see him run it in Cup as well.
    FLRacingFan likes this.
  17. TchainT

TchainT Crew Chief

Yeah, its probably not so cool to wish him back luck, but I am pretty biased in this situation. I mean, Kevin Harvick was the immediate replacement when Dale died. He got Earnhardts cars, his crew, etc. and even he at least got a number change to differentiate himself from Earnhardt. Im not trying to be logical or fair here.
    SlicedBread22 likes this.
  18. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 That Joey Fan

He's been driving that number his whole life. I mean no disrespect by this but the number was taken from Dale when he passed. It's Childress's number. I don't really like Austin and wasn't even a NASCAR fan when Dale was around but I hope he does good in that number just because of all the Earnhardt fans that will love to see it running up front.. you say you hope he does bad, but that car will be on track regardless of your opinion. Would you rather see it running well.. or outside the top 20?
  19. Johali

I don't care who the sponsor is, that three with a black background has got to stay.
    FLRacingFan and dpkimmel2001 like this.
  20. TchainT

TchainT Crew Chief

Eh, I know Im the minority here.
  21. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Only for the moment. The rest will show up soon.
  22. Blaze88

Blaze88 Team Owner

I like it, looks nice :) be great seeing it again
  23. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

A quick note on that number '3'. 81 different drivers carried that number on their car at one time or another in Cup.

Some included.....

Richard Childress
    Ricky Rudd
    Buddy Baker
    Junior Johnson
    Buck Baker
    David Pearson
    Cotton Owens
    Cale Yarbrough
    Fireball Roberts
    Zerkfitting likes this.
  24. mreed

mreed nuthin fancy

[​IMG]
    Matthew2470 and dpkimmel2001 like this.
  25. Matthew2470

Matthew2470 Freethinker

Believe it or not, George isn't at home...
    SlicedBread22 and dpkimmel2001 like this.
  26. Matthew2470

Matthew2470 Freethinker

Austin's going to look like a bumble bee in his black and yellow driver suit.
  27. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Love the number, not quite sure about the paint scheme yet, but it does remind me a little of Jimmie's Bud Shootout scheme from earlier this year. Maybe it will grow on me. It sure as heck is going to stand out at the track and on TV.
  28. JimmieGordon2448

JimmieGordon2448 Team Owner

I have no problem with it
  29. StandOnIt

StandOnIt CHICKS DIG IT.

Racing Trivia: Racing stripes, LeMans Stripes, or go fast stripes. I think it was the 48 that brought them back into Nascar again. The stripes were first used in the early 50's to improve the ability to see the car in the field during races.
  30. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Crew Chief

sad this was done because it helped lure a sponsor. I think the 3 should not run again. and if it does for reasons other than just attracting a sponsor.
  31. Johali

I cannot for the life of me understand why you don't just accept the fact that the three is going to be run in cup by RCR and driven by his grandson and it was because SAID GRANDSON WANTED HIS GRANDFATHERS CAR NUNBER not to attract sponsors although I'm sure that didn't hurt. I am glad it's going to be back next year and cannot wait to see it run.
  32. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Crew Chief

do you really think thats the reason the 3 is coming back?? because a grandson wanted to run it?? The deal is totally money related. you have your opinion and I have mine.
  33. Johali

YEP.
  34. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Appeasing sponsors is bad, right?
    Matthew2470 and Johali like this.
  35. StandOnIt

StandOnIt CHICKS DIG IT.

saw this coming..good fishing.
  36. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

[​IMG]
    FenderBumper likes this.
  37. TchainT

TchainT Crew Chief

Its not that we dont accept it. Its that we dont agree with it. Theres a difference there, bud.
  38. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Yep.

I did not know that, interesting. I always thought they were just for looks. They look pretty good on this paint scheme.
  39. Stewart Fan

Stewart Fan Team Owner

Eh, it's just a number when all is said and done. Not even Dale's original number.
    worm06, BamaFan, Smoke14 and 3 others like this.
  40. Johali

I wasn't talking to you "bud", my response was to his post which is different than Yours and yes you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.