Bass Pro Shops Cars

Nichodemus

Team Owner
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a bit unusual to have one company sponsoring two cars from competing teams and competing car makers? That was Bass Pro Shops on both the 78 and 14, right?

I can't recall it at anytime since when Jr was running part time and the hendrick 25 were both Budweiser

In the 1993 Daytona 500, Valvoline sponsored both Mark Martin's Ford and Al Unser Jr's Chevrolet.

Skoal used to sponsor Harry Gant's Chevrolet and Rick Mast's Ford. Back in the early 80's, JD Stacy sponsored 4 or 5 different cars at the same time I think.

It is pretty unusual, especially these days. But sponsors do weird things sometimes.

I believe at the end of 2000, Citgo sponsored Elliot Sadler and the Wood Bros along with Jeff Burton and Roush.

last year Bass Pro was on Tony's and Jamie Mac's car same race, but both were chevys tho.

Nope, nothing unusual with it, if Bass Pro wants to spend money on two race teams, who's business is it to question them, it really isnt a big deal and like pointed out, not the first time this has happened.

Skoal used to sponsor Harry Gant's Chevrolet and Rick Mast's Ford. Back in the early 80's, JD Stacy sponsored 4 or 5 different cars at the same time I think.

It is pretty unusual, especially these days. But sponsors do weird things sometimes.
The Harry Gant/Rick Mast thing was weird, since they were quasi-teammates. Leo Jackson owned Harry's car and his brother Richard owned Mast's, but it was odd that one fielded a Chevy and the other one a Ford.

The Harry Gant/Rick Mast thing was weird, since they were quasi-teammates. Leo Jackson owned Harry's car and his brother Richard owned Mast's, but it was odd that one fielded a Chevy and the other one a Ford.

Yep. In the early 90s both the 33 and 1 were Oldsmobiles. Once Olds left the sport, Leo continued with GM and Richard switched to Ford.

I'm not sure how close the teams were, but I know the Jackson brothers ran the team together for a long time before the "split" around 1990 or so. I don't know much about the story behind it and I wish I knew more.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a bit unusual to have one company sponsoring two cars from competing teams and competing car makers? That was Bass Pro Shops on both the 78 and 14, right?
It happens a few times each year. Weren't Jr. and 6-Time both hyping the Batman - Superman movie a couple of weeks ago? The most I remember was a cross-promotion with a Looney Tunes movie at Richmond. I recall six different cars had LT characters on the hood.

Bass Pro always cared more about the drivers they sponsor than what teams they sponsor, as they have a relationship with the Dillon bros, serves as the primary on the 14 car, and why not get back with Truex who just came off a hot year? Good bussiness it sounds like.

I just thought it was interesting because sponsors and teams are so funny about that sort of stuff these days. Definitely not a big deal. I am sure I have seen Bass Pro Shops on two cars before, but probably didn't pay much attention. This time they were both racing side by side.

So what other similar/identical cars do you remember? There were two Miller High Life cars when Bobby Allison was driving. Wasn't there a Skoal #1 along with #33 at some points? I feel like there are a lot more examples, but they aren't coming to me (and this is one of those things that's hard to google to look smart!).

Two Jr Johnson Budweiser cars
#11 Darrell Waltrip
#12 Neil Bonnet

Petty Enterprises STP cars
#42 Kyle Petty
#43 Richard Petty

RCR Goodwrench cars

# 3 Dale Earnhardt
#31 Neil Bonnett

We had 3 Mt. Dew cars just the other week with Jr, Kasey and Chase

1987 Hendrick Folgers Chevrolet
#35 Benny Parsons
#25 Tim Richmond (in just a few races).

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/1987_Miller_High_Life_500/W

1987_35 verte.jpg

Jeremy Mayfield and Rusty Wallace had nearly identical paint schemes but different sponsors back in the 90's. Than in 2001 Mayfield and Elliot had almost Identical cars. Man I really miss Miller's old paint schemes. The highlife cars driven Danny Sullivan and Bobby Allison are some of the prettiest cars of all time. Really like Rusty's schemes in the early to mid 90's too.

Jeremy Mayfield and Rusty Wallace had nearly identical paint schemes but different sponsors back in the 90's. Than in 2001 Mayfield and Elliot had almost Identical cars. Man I really miss Miller's old paint schemes. The highlife cars driven Danny Sullivan and Bobby Allison are some of the prettiest cars of all time. Really like Rusty's schemes in the early to mid 90's too.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the two Dodge-sponsored cars of Elliot and Mayfield. I thought that was neat at the time, with the only real difference being the 19's green roof number

MWR would run two NAPA cars from time to time as well when Truex was in the 56 and Michael Waltrip ran the plate races in the 15/55.

How is the world has no one mentioned the #3 and #15 Wrangler cars of Earnhardt and Rudd. One Chevy, one Ford.

Most of you are referring to same sponsor on the same team. That hasn't been all that unusual over the years. On different teams, with different makes, is a bit unusual.

What gets me about this whole deal is Bass Pro Shops dictating to SHR who drove the 14 when Stewart was out. They have a contract with Ty Dillon and wanted him in the car in those races. This team would be a little better off had Vickers been in there the whole time.

I remember Elliott was a Coke driver and Mayfield/Atwood were both Mountain Dew drivers.

Most of you are referring to same sponsor on the same team. That hasn't been all that unusual over the years. On different teams, with different makes, is a bit unusual.

What gets me about this whole deal is Bass Pro Shops dictating to SHR who drove the 14 when Stewart was out. They have a contract with Ty Dillon and wanted him in the car in those races. This team would be a little better off had Vickers been in there the whole time.
I think the opposite. Ty averaged about 5 spots better per race, with less starts, not including getting Tony a top 10 at Talledega last week.

Yeah, but in one start, Vickers had engine trouble and dropped out and had some other issue in another.

One good thing about Ty Dillon is that he is not worried about incompatibility between "his brand" and potential sponsors who would be willing to fund a Cup program. Us old school guys had been worried about his brand, but Ty told the press at Talladega, "Right now anything suits my brand." Whew, good to know!

US Tobacco did have 2 cup cars with the #1 Skoal Classic owned by Richard Jackson and the #33 Skoal Bandit owned by Leo Jackson. The #1 car was black and white and the #33 car was green and white and were easily distinguishable.

I asked the same question when I met their Director of Marketing in the off-season. The answer he gave me: Johnny Morris is a very loyal guy. He never likes leaving anyone completely out. He had a long, successful relationship with RCR, so he continues to support them (albeit much smaller level). He had a great relationship with Tony, so he continues to support SHR. He had a great relationship with MTJ, so that's why their "primary" funding is now with the 78. One day, they might move on, and still leave behind a few paint schemes for the 78 guys. That's "just the way Johnny is."

I asked the same question when I met their Director of Marketing in the off-season. The answer he gave me: Johnny Morris is a very loyal guy. He never likes leaving anyone completely out. He had a long, successful relationship with RCR, so he continues to support them (albeit much smaller level). He had a great relationship with Tony, so he continues to support SHR. He had a great relationship with MTJ, so that's why their "primary" funding is now with the 78. One day, they might move on, and still leave behind a few paint schemes for the 78 guys. That's "just the way Johnny is."
That is really neat, thankyou for sharing Mr Morris sounds like a very decent guy.

Thanks for the insight and I am glad you found your way back after the meltdown.

Thanks for the insight and I am glad you found your way back after the meltdown.
OK I admit I have some issues, I've been under immense pressure at work...the wife... the kids, it's becoming unbeara........
or did you mean the board being down for a couple of weeks.....? :cool:

Ryan Newman drove a special Bass Pro at night race at Bristol in 2011, while McMurray drove his Bass Pro for Earnhardt Ganassi Racing. both also drove Bass Pro at Talladega in may of 2012.

OK I admit I have some issues, I've been under immense pressure at work...the wife... the kids, it's becoming unbeara........
or did you mean the board being down for a couple of weeks.....? :cool:

The latter not the former!

Back
Top Bottom