Billy Boat

71Fan

Yup, Billy is going Busch with Braun Racing at Phoenix.

Might be kinda interesting eh? :D

237726.jpg

3E4U0396web.jpg

I think that is interesting... Sure if he has the proper equipment, he'll do fine.

that is real interesting. More and more of the open wheelers interested in NASCAR. Soon there won't be any drivers left over there.

Well Billy lives out this way so it might just be a what the heck kind of thing but then again if ya ain't got a whole lot going for you anywhere else why not?

Full Story At The Arizona Republic

Boat lands stock ride in Busch race at PIR

Mark Armijo
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 16, 2003 12:00 AM

Sandwiched between Tony Stewart on his right and Jeremy Mayfield on his left was about the last driver you'd expect to see Tuesday in the garage at Phoenix International Raceway.

Billy Boat, who until a few days ago never had driven a stock car, plans to make his NASCAR Busch Series debut in the Nov. 1 race at PIR. Boat, a recipient of primary sponsorship help from the Arizona Department of Health Services, will drive a Dodge Intrepid for Braun Racing, whose other driver is Casey Mears.

"It's definitely an opportunity to maybe open up a new direction for me," said Boat, an open wheel veteran who captured the pole position in the 1998 Indianapolis 500. "I like the cars. They feel comfortable.

"But there's a lot to learn. They drive substantially different than an Indy car."

Boat, a Valley native, learned how different early on in testing, which included several Winston Cup and Busch Series drivers this week at PIR. Boat spun in Turn 3 in a morning practice session and backed the car into the wall.

"The car got loose," Boat said. "It's definitely a learning curve. These are 3,500-pound cars, and the way they react is different than most anything I've ever driven. They feel most like a (U.S. Auto Club) Silver Crown car."

Boat, 37, still is hoping to land a full-time Indy Racing League ride next season, and Panther Racing co-owner John Barnes said he is being considered for a possible opening with the team. Panther already has hired Tomas Scheckter to replace departing Sam Hornish Jr. but said the team could field as many as three drivers in 2004.

"I'd still like to do something in the IRL, and I'm still talking to Panther," Boat said. "Unfortunately, there's very limited opportunities."

As far as I call find, the only IRL race Baot ran this year was the Indy 500 where he finished 32nd.

That is correct to my knowlege. He started 29th and finished 32nd due to engine problems. (Only ran 29 laps.)

:) Billy hasn't had much luck finding an IRL ride, so I hope this'll help him get a ride in NASCAR if he can't get an IRL ride. He's a nice guy, and he's shown his talent in the past.

Boat ownes his own IRL team along with Mike Curb. WHen the IRL changed all the chasiss this year t really hurt the underfunded teams( of in Billys case, no funds) If Billy would be able to find a sponsor he would be back runnign the IRL in a heart beat. That car pictured above was the one he ran at Indy for Panter racing. HE is still rumored to possibly drive the 2nd panter car next year IF they decide to run it.

But this is cool to have Billy running in the BGN! I like him he is a good racer. SHould be intersting to see what happens. Maybe Mike curb could put him in the 43 next year if the IRL stuff does not work out!

Back
Top Bottom