Bonehead of the Week: Sprint All-Star Race

If Brad was the person that came up with this he gets to wear a dunce cap until the 4th of July. I would not accuse him of being a few fries short of a Happy Meal but he ain't the best and the brightest in my estimation.
Maybe Roger Penske is the real bonehead. The Captain has employed over 100 professional racing drivers in his career, and known many others up close and personal, and yet he frequently comments that Brad is one of the brightest and smartest he has known. So give your dunce cap to Penske, because he clearly has no clue at judging intellect...:idunno:

Maybe Roger Penske is the real bonehead. The Captain has employed over 100 professional racing drivers in his career, and known many others up close and personal, and yet he frequently comments that Brad is one of the brightest and smartest he has known. So give your dunce cap to Penske, because he clearly has no clue at judging intellect...:idunno:
Be nice. Lol
Like I said the rules start and end with Nascar. Period. :)

Brad could be a Rhodes Scholar but I am just saying when I have heard him speak he came off as dumber than a box of rocks.

Fans thinking this was a colossal screw up. Great racing all day and an exciting finish. If the drivers are happy, it usually translates to boring racing. If they are complaining, the fans love it. If you were too dense to understand the format, that's too bad. Yes, NASCAR made a bad decision when the 20 didn't pit and obviously they had not planned for that scenario. So what, who can think of EVERY scenario. Do it again next year and be better prepared. Teams and drivers included. If the 20 had pitted when they should have there would have been lots of cars on the lead lap and lots of cars with worn tires in front of the 11 cars with 4 new ones.

And there was no "inversion". The 11 cars in front were required to pit for 4 tires and race out of the pits. They were to line up behind the other lead lap cars on worn tires. Would have been interesting if there were more than 2 cars on the lead lap with worn tires.

Of course Brad is going to take heat for the idea. But nobody came up with anything better obviously?

If you were too dense to understand the format, that's too bad.
I'm one of those who is too dense to understand the format. It was a fishing weekend for me and the race was on in the background. I hadn't found the new rules before I left for my trip, so it was hard to follow for casual watching (and I was having to explain things to non NASCAR fishermen).

If you didn't actively seek the format explanation it would be hard to follow. I get it. I guess I'm interested enough to look things up beforehand and I can see where others may not be so inclined. Only reason I did i was because I'd heard it explained numerous times on radio and it wasn't quite sinking in so I googled it. The only thing I found odd was where did they get 13 laps for the final segment? Why not 10 or 15 or something?

If you didn't actively seek the format explanation it would be hard to follow. I get it. I guess I'm interested enough to look things up beforehand and I can see where others may not be so inclined. Only reason I did i was because I'd heard it explained numerous times on radio and it wasn't quite sinking in so I googled it. The only thing I found odd was where did they get 13 laps for the final segment? Why not 10 or 15 or something?
13 laps for 13 years Sprint has been the title sponsor.

I think they felt 10 laps wasn't enough for new tires to work their way through the field and 15 laps was too long for old tires to hold on. Obviously they thought more people would be left on the lead lap going into that segment.

I typically don't like to have to study before watching a race. It shouldn't be that complicated.

I typically don't like to have to study before watching a race. It shouldn't be that complicated.

If you can't comprehend this after one read through, I pity you:

THE RULES, SEGMENT 1
The lineup for Segment 1 is determined by qualifying run earlier Saturday night.
There is a mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires (teams can choose to take two or four) during the opening 50 laps.
After Segment 1, there is a 3-5 minute break. Cars must pit and take a minimum of two tires.
THE RULES, SEGMENT 2
The starting order for Segment 2 is set by the pit-road exit from the mandatory pit stop after Segment 1.
During Segment 2, there is a mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires during this set of 50 laps. The twist here is that the pit stop must occur before Lap 85.
After Segment 2 concludes, there is another 3-5 minute break.
THE RULES, SEGMENT 3
During the break between Segments 2 and 3, there is a random drawing in which the number 9, 10 or 11 is selected. That number determines the number of cars from the 20-car field (starting from whoever is leading the race) which must pit for a mandatory four-tire stop. Pit road is closed to the additional cars.
Those who did not pit will be on older tires and at the front of the field. The order off pit road sets the running order behind those cars. So it will be older tires at the front and fresher tires (and likely faster cars) at the rear. Plenty of strategy to be had.
Only green-flag laps count in Segment 3, and NASCAR Overtime procedures apply.

If you can't comprehend this after one read through, I pity you:

THE RULES, SEGMENT 1
The lineup for Segment 1 is determined by qualifying run earlier Saturday night.
There is a mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires (teams can choose to take two or four) during the opening 50 laps.
After Segment 1, there is a 3-5 minute break. Cars must pit and take a minimum of two tires.
THE RULES, SEGMENT 2
The starting order for Segment 2 is set by the pit-road exit from the mandatory pit stop after Segment 1.
During Segment 2, there is a mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires during this set of 50 laps. The twist here is that the pit stop must occur before Lap 85.
After Segment 2 concludes, there is another 3-5 minute break.
THE RULES, SEGMENT 3
During the break between Segments 2 and 3, there is a random drawing in which the number 9, 10 or 11 is selected. That number determines the number of cars from the 20-car field (starting from whoever is leading the race) which must pit for a mandatory four-tire stop. Pit road is closed to the additional cars.
Those who did not pit will be on older tires and at the front of the field. The order off pit road sets the running order behind those cars. So it will be older tires at the front and fresher tires (and likely faster cars) at the rear. Plenty of strategy to be had.
Only green-flag laps count in Segment 3, and NASCAR Overtime procedures apply.
Like I said, it shouldn't be that complicated.

Haha! NASCAR has a hard enough time keeping track of the rules when it's just a regular race. This was a recipe for mayhem from the git-go...but since it wasn't a points race and nobody got hurt...it was comical.

I thought an appropriate end to the race would have been:

Driver: "why are they black flagging me, I didn't do anything wrong !?!?...and I'm out here in clean air!"

Crew Chief: "the race has been over for 5 laps"

Driver: "Oh, sorry...do you want me to park the car by the hauler?"

Crew Chief: "They are waiting on you in Victory Lane"

Driver: "Cool"

Like I said, it shouldn't be that complicated.

It isn't....only thing missing in that description is the lap they had to pit by in each segment. 47 in 1 and 85 in 2.

No rocket science. Next year will be smoother.

It isn't....only thing missing in that description is the lap they had to pit by in each segment. 47 in 1 and 85 in 2.

No rocket science. Next year will be smoother.
I'm happy it was so crystal clear to you, but many fans and drivers (not just Kenseth) were confused by it. Hopefully this format will be driven out to the middle of nowhere and buried will no one will ever find it again.

NASCAR for the way they organized the ALL STAR RACE.
Hi, Molly. Welcome to the forum. You may be the first tropical fish to join. :D

th
th
th
th

Back
Top Bottom