Bonehead of the week: Talladega

MRM

Team Owner
Wow, so many candidates for this award with what we saw the last two days. Not sure if I can narrow it down to one. Who do you have?

Wow, so many candidates for this award with what we saw the last two days. Not sure if I can narrow it down to one. Who do you have?

I think Nascar has done a great job this year as the racing has been good and the bogus cautions have been kept to a minimum. However Nascar gets my bonehead of the weekend for allowing this sort of debacle to take place 4 times a year. Why not have a good old fashioned demolition derby instead as the fans and drivers would love it.

I think Nascar has done a great job this year as the racing has been good and the bogus cautions have been kept to a minimum. However Nascar gets my bonehead of the weekend for allowing this sort of debacle to take place 4 times a year. Why not have a good old fashioned demolition derby instead as the fans and drivers would love it.

That's on the drivers, the 500 was clean throughout and so was last falls' Dega race, the threat of rain made the drivers race more wildly than normal here.

That's on the drivers, the 500 was clean throughout and so was last falls' Dega race, the threat of rain made the drivers race more wildly than normal here.
The hendrick cars that can't go in a staight line. Happened at daytona too but out of crazy luck they didnt wreck the field.

I don't dispute what you are saying but, IMO, the event was a poor excuse for a race. I think it is way past time to rethink this type of racing.

I don't dispute what you are saying but, IMO, the event was a poor excuse for a race. I think it is way past time to rethink this type of racing.

As much as I enjoyed today's race sans the crashes, there's definitely going to be some tweaks to this kind of racing. What those tweaks end up being is tbd though.

Hendrick steering wheel engineers (and NASCAR for not mandating some sort of safety pin to attach the wheel to the column).

Michael "I should not be Driving" Waltrip for trying to blend into traffic doing 150+ MPH when he is doing about 50MPH!!

Bonehead move of Talledega?
NASCAR for permitting such a debacle.
The drivers don't like it, teams don't like it, most fans, not all, grumble about it but how many of those fans would be first in line to complain if there were no wrecks and urinate about single file racing. :idunno:

Allowing patched up rolling junk piles to return to the race has always seemed boneheaded to me. There were a few garbage heaps that returned to the track many laps down that caused accidents. A rule to prevent this on super speedways would be good IMO

And yes ... this includes the 18 .. if it is badly damaged and many laps down

Bonehead and hilarious all in one:
Jr's steering wheel coming off, scary, but, I watched the in car replay (I DVR) several times and LOL'd at his oh sh!t reaction to it.

I was real surprised at how quickly he grabbed that steering shaft with his hand

I have to give it to Michael. I mean good grief. I didn't hear DW's reaction live but re-watched it later and died laughing.

Dale regarding the steering wheel issue - from Jayski:

"Yeah, the steering wheel came off and I was trying to get it back on and the car was headed toward the wall. Well I wasn't going to let it hit the wall so I grabbed the column and steered it with that. Tore my hands all up, but didn't hit the wall."

Steering a car through the corner at Talladega at 190+ with no steering wheel probably deserves a bada** award before it deserves a bonehead one LOL

Got to second Danica's pit stop maneuver. That was one of the funniest attempts I ever saw of a woman trying to park it. This one is pretty good too!

I have to give it to Michael. I mean good grief. I didn't hear DW's reaction live but re-watched it later and died laughing.

Dale regarding the steering wheel issue - from Jayski:

"Yeah, the steering wheel came off and I was trying to get it back on and the car was headed toward the wall. Well I wasn't going to let it hit the wall so I grabbed the column and steered it with that. Tore my hands all up, but didn't hit the wall."

Steering a car through the corner at Talladega at 190+ with no steering wheel probably deserves a bada** award before it deserves a bonehead one LOL

Thats something his father would do. grab the wheel nut and steer with that. love this

Thats something his father would do. grab the wheel nut and steer with that. love this
It's a shame really, all that work to save your already wrecked car, and then you just get smacked by a car coming across the track at random. Like really? You kind of start to believe that maybe you were meant to crash there if all of that happens lol.

Earnhardt's steering wheel came off under caution. Good thing.

Hendrick steering wheel engineers (and NASCAR for not mandating some sort of safety pin to attach the wheel to the column).

The Junior explains:

Dale Jr. addresses steering wheel mishap on Twitter
My steering wheel came off during a caution yesterday. I take full responsibility for not making sure it was connected properly beforehand..
— Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) May 2, 2016

There was no issue with the wheel or coupler. This is just a rare case of being in too big a hurry to return to the action...

Fox Sports.com

The Junior explains:

My steering wheel came off during a caution yesterday. I take full responsibility for not making sure it was connected properly beforehand..

There was no issue with the wheel or coupler. This is just a rare case of being in too big a hurry to return to the action...

Fox Sports.com
Well, it is a P3 penalty if a wheel comes off during on-track competition, with a mandatory 4-race suspension for the crew chief and the wheel changer. Does this apply to steering wheels too? Would Dale Jr. be considered the wheel changer?

The joke Delena replied to was lame and made no sense in regards to Dale Jr's racing or Amelia , but Amy was really in her feelings for no reason.... it wasn't worth the whole twitter back and forth.
I didn't quite get it either but all Delana did was tweet an emoji. Amy came off really pissy.

Back
Top Bottom