Jeff Gordon to retire after 2015 season

Honestly I thought he would be around for at least another two seasons.

Even though I'm not a fan on Jeff, he will be missed and NASCAR won't be the same after 2015. On the bright side, we got Chase Elliot coming, which could be the next Jeff Gordon. I would imagine he will inherit a lot of Jeff's fans.

I can't imagine Jeff running a partial schedule, it just wouldn't be right. He needs to just hang it up completely, at least in cup. Maybe run a few Xfinity or Truck races but a part time schedule in Cup wouldn't do him justice.

So this will be his last full time year. Wondering if there are any plans to run part time with another team, or if he will split 2016 with Chase.

Jeff said on Twitter he has the option to run a handful of events in 2016, but doubts he will do that. I really think he just wants to spend time with his family.

I can't imagine Jeff running a partial schedule, it just wouldn't be right. He needs to just hang it up completely, at least in cup. Maybe run a few Xfinity or Truck races but a part time schedule in Cup wouldn't do him justice.
Whatever he wants to do is fine with me. He's damn well earned it. Whatever he decides to do is "right" because it's his decision to make.

Good move leaving while competitive and not a DW repeat.
Just speculation but could another 4 satellite teams similar to SHR be in store for Hendricks?

Now I'll have to get used to saying "GO CHASE". An old dog new trick sorta thing. :D

Does his DuPont sponsorship run out then too? Thinking Chase is too young for the AARP drive against hunger also.

Some of the people are saying that the Kasey Kahne deal now make sense, I guess this is in reference to Hendricks signing him on again?

mixed feelings. happy for jeff and family. but really concerned about my future enjoyment of these forums. jeff fans have been a lot of fun to play with during his career.:D

Wow. I knew this day would come eventually, but it's not an easy thing to accept. I've been a hardcore Gordon fan for 20 years, I can't even imagine having a different favorite driver.

It sounds like it's the right move for him and his family, but from a fan's perspective, it's sure going to be weird for a while after this year is over.

Jeff Gordon will compete in his 23rd and final full-time Sprint Cup Series season in 2015. He announced his decision this morning to the #24 Hendrick Motorsports team he has driven for since November 1992. "As a race car driver, much of what I've done throughout my life has been based on following my instincts and trying to make good decisions," Gordon said. "I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the offseason, and I've decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a championship. I won't use the 'R-word' because I plan to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there's always the possibility I'll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that. I don't foresee a day when I'll ever step away from racing. I'm a fan of all forms of motor sports, but particularly NASCAR. We have a tremendous product, and I'm passionate about the business and its future success. As an equity owner in Hendrick Motorsports, I'm a partner with Rick (Hendrick) and will remain heavily involved with the company for many years to come. It means so much to have the chance to continue working with the owner who took a chance on me and the incredible team that's stood behind me every step of the way. Racing has provided a tremendous amount of opportunity that's been extraordinarily rewarding and fulfilling in my life. The work we're doing with the Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation will continue to be extremely important to me. Outside the race car, my passion is pediatric cancer research, and my efforts will remain focused there when I'm no longer driving. I'll explore opportunities for the next phase of my career, but my primary focus now and throughout 2015 will be my performance in the No. 24 Chevrolet. I'm going to pour everything I have into this season and look forward to the challenge of competing for one last championship. To everyone at NASCAR, my teammates, sponsors, competitors, friends, family, members of the media and especially our incredible fans, all I can say is thank you."

This is BS.

I guess I'm selfish because I want Jeff to stay around, but guessing his long-term health with his back he wants to keep that under control I guess. I joke with Gordon fans, but what a great guy he is on and off of the track. To realize that 24 not being on the track is just difficult and I would LOVE to see him come out on top one more time. This guy is amazing and just it was going to come eventually, but it is a tough pill it swallow. This is going to make 2015 a bittersweet year, especially when it comes down to the last couple of races. Honestly, I'm in shock, but things come and go. I guess Jeff is ready to hang his helmet up after this legendary career he has built and I thank him for letting me grow up watching him. I was born in 93, but seeing that Rainbow 24 car over the years and watching this man... It's hard, but it is life. Everyone should thank Jeff Gordon for his accomplishments and what he has done for NASCAR in general because thanks to him the sport grew into a even greater spectacle.

Wishing he will get that last title.

I can't believe he's gone after this year. No Gordon? Weird, guess I've got all the more reason to root for him this season.

Can't wait for Chase Elliot in the Cup series - the next JG/JJ!

Can't wait for Chase Elliot in the Cup series - the next JG/JJ!

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. When he comes into Sprint Cup, just I know people have HIGH expectations and he's fantastic. I just hope people will be patient with Chase and not place their hopes so high, but after watching Kyle Larson and even Austin Dillon with his consistency. I can understand why the bar has been raised.

He doesn't need to be Gordon or Johnson, Chase needs to be Chase continuing to work hard and progress as a driver.

Reactions: Pat
We may see a lot of these retirements in the next few years. Biffle is 45, Tony will be 44 in May, Kenseth will be 43 in March, Junior is 40, and Jimmie and Harvick turn the big 4-0 this year. Gonna be sad to see all these guys ride off into the sunset.

We may see a lot of these retirements in the next few years. Biffle is 45, Tony will be 44 in May, Kenseth will be 43 in March, Junior is 40, and Jimmie and Harvick turn the big 4-0 this year. Gonna be sad to see all these guys ride off into the sunset.

Yota, don't make anymore sad than I already am.:(

Came out of team workouts, read the FoxSports page & the last thing I remember is "CLEAR"! :eek:

Thank you for the memories Jeff!

24ever!

Where were you when Gordon announced his full time retirement?

Back
Top Bottom