Jeff Gordon to retire after 2015 season

Bro, dont post in this thread then. You won't hear any Gordon praises anywhere else on the board.

You click on a Gordon thread then
2hibklw.gif
^ Dude is on point with the GIFs recently.

Fk naw, I've got talent lined up. And correct. I've rarely lost sleep over a driver of mine having a bad day(it's definitely happened though haha).
Time marches on Brother....... when any of us think that we are indispensible.... we have another think coming. There's always someone waiting in the wings to fill our spot. ;)

we all knew this day would come, but still doesnt make it easier, I was never a fan of Gordon, but over the last few years found myself pulling for him more and more , and its just another reminder that we are not getting any younger . I think I got in NASCAR a few years before he started driving, but I was like 10 or 11, so I cant be 100% sure .

This is exactly what I've been wanting to hear. Hopefully he ends up racing one of those C7.Rs in my sig:

While his NASCAR career may be coming to an end, Jeff Gordon isn’t about to hang up the helmet entirely, as the four-time Sprint Cup Series Champion has revealed ambitions of taking part in selected sports car races in the future.

Gordon, who will step down from full-season NASCAR competition at the end of this year, told reporters during Thursday’s NASCAR Media Day in Charlotte, N.C. that he’s open to returning to the Rolex 24 at Daytona once his stock car racing career is over.

“I love seeing those Corvettes in the 24-hour race in Daytona,” Gordon said. “I think that’s very cool and I’d love to be a part of that. Chevrolet has been a huge part of my Cup career.”

Gordon took part in the 2007 Rolex 24 in a Wayne Taylor Racing-entered Riley-Pontiac DP, finishing on the podium alongside co-drivers Wayne Taylor, Max Angelelli and Jan Magnussen.

While he’s not taken part in a sports car race since, the NASCAR legend also told reporters that taking part in a race at Spa-Francorchamps “would be amazing.”

“It’s really going to be more about figuring out if it’s possible,” he said. “But anything I do, I want to be competitive. I don’t want to just ride around out there… the team, the amount of preparation, and the laps that I need in the car.”

The 43-year-old has not made any firm plans, although as he pointed out, Gordon’s affiliation with GM would make him as a potential fit for Corvette’s factory program.

http://sportscar365.com/gt/gordon-open-to-future-in-sports-car-racing/

Smoke invites Gordon to come race @ Eldora.

Jeff's response

"Hey, I would not be surprised if he talks me into it," Gordon said during the Hendrick Motorsports portion of the media tour. "I'm certainly open to it. I thought it was brilliant what he did and I had a lot of laughs, me and him did, back and forth on some text messages. I never say never."

Stewart said on Tuesday that he would "make a great deal for him." The three-time champion also touched on the fact that Gordon's decision to make 2015 his final full-time season caught him off-guard and made him sad.

"I think it caught everybody off-guard. I always thought my whole life, especially early when we were rivals, I thought, 'Man, I can't wait until this guy announces his retirement,' but it's the polar opposite.

"I was really sad. I can't imagine the day that he is not in the 24 car at the track. It's not something I am looking forward to.

"I think we all respect Jeff Gordon, everything that he has done in this sport. I don't think any of us ever imagined the day we weren't going to see him in a car. As the season gets closer to the end, you are going to see a lot of people that are pretty sad about it, especially his peers that he races with."

Gordon appreciated Stewart's emotions regarding his decision to step away from full-time NASCAR racing after 2015. The two champions have mutual respect as longtime rivals.

"It's way cool. I mean, Tony and I have had a really unique relationship over the years because when he came in, it was, 'Oh, OK, here's the next big star of the sport.' Well, I'm here now and so, he was like, 'I'm here to take over your spot,' and we butted heads a little bit at the beginning, even though I had respect for his driving ability. But through that, we recognized what we both can do and how we can go about it in the sport, and along the way, we became good friends and I always had tremendous respect -- probably even more so the last couple of years with me going out to Knoxville (Iowa) and doing some of the sprint-car stuff with the Kick-It (charity) program.

"For him to say that, it means a lot to me, but I also know how I felt when some guys were going out of the sport. I was like, 'That means that my days are starting to get closer as well.' "

Story from here

You know, what if Jeff Gordon decided to fulfill a childhood dream and run a couple of seasons in IndyCar? Shorter season and a new challenge, at least.

Could he do it or is he too old to make the transition?

Makes sense really. Ever since he won his last back in '05 he's finished in the Top 10 only twice. Plate racing hasn't been kind to him recently and with his back it makes no sense to race when you're almost guaranteed to crash.

If he's going to run select prestigious races I'd like to see him go for events like the Brickyard 400 in which he has a great shot at winning.

You know, what if Jeff Gordon decided to fulfill a childhood dream and run a couple of seasons in IndyCar? Shorter season and a new challenge, at least.

Could he do it or is he too old to make the transition?
I don't see him doing it. At the very least the street circuits would be really rough on his back.

I'd like to see Jeff at least try the Indy 500. I think part of him would like to put a 500 trophy next to his Brickyard 400 trophies.

You're assuming he'd be competitive. That's not really a guarantee.

It'd be cool if he wins one but that's far fetch.

You're assuming he'd be competitive. That's not really a guarantee.

It'd be cool if he wins one but that's far fetch.
Imo he wouldnt be anymore competitive than Kurt was. Surrounded by a field of drivers who race those cars all the time & Jeff would go in cold.

Imo he wouldnt be anymore competitive than Kurt was. Surrounded by a field of drivers who race those cars all the time & Jeff would go in cold.
I think what Kurt was able to do was awesome. He ran better than a lot of IRL pro's.

Kurt Busch was able to go over while running a full time Cup schedule and be competitive. Gordon wouldn't be terrible and I'd like to see him give it a shot.

Admittingly though, his best shot at Indy 500 was doing the double in the mid 90s when the CART/IRL split had thinned the talent pool a bit.

I've said this before and I'll say it again now, but I think Kurt's IndyCar performance is pretty overrated. He had the benefit of racing the best equipment in the series with Andretti Autosport and basically was the slowest driver on the team. He qualified fourth out of five on the team and three of his four teammates finished ahead of him in the race (1st, 3rd, and 4th) and the other teammate, Hinchcliffe, was crashed out while battling for the lead with Carpenter and Townsend Bell. RHR, Andretti, and Hinch all led a double-digit amount of laps too. He basically wound up, in large part, where he did by watching a quarter of the field fall out. So I wouldn't necessarily say he was competitive and I'll also say that Sage Karam should've been Indy 500 ROTY for finishing 9th in an inferior car.

Not that it was a bad performance, 6th is still very good, but it's overrated.

Yep, I saw that and it will be a blow to Nascar.......I've always liked Jeff especially since he got married and had little girl....he seems to be happy with married life and just wants to be with family more.....I wish him and family the best that can be.....

Yes. But when I was a child, that dude was my hero. True story.

You were in good company. JJ, Kyle Busch, Kyle Larson, and Trevor Bayne, just to name a few, that followed in Jeff Gordon's footsteps to the Cup series and are having the time of their lives doing what they love and making money hand over fists and living the opulent life.

Yup, he won the tittle of biggest whiner in Nascar and a wannabe 5 time.

j/k, I needed my fix of JG bashing.

Back
Top Bottom