Jeff Gordon to retire after 2015 season

You've been pretty cool so far. But some haven't. It gets the job done. Sooner than later.

To each his own but a brief email seems like a good way to go to me
You've been pretty cool so far. But some haven't. It gets the job done. Sooner than later.

This is only my opinion but I always feel erring on the side of a little too much communication as opposed to not quite enough is the way to go. If there is a member that is not a good fit I would send him/her a brief email and tell them they were banned for good. Same thing if someone was suspended for a period of time as I would send an email saying how long the suspension was for.

I hope I am in good standing as I like it here and hope this forum gets me to watch and then discuss a little racin'

Reactions: Pat
To each his own but a brief email seems like a good way to go to me

This is only my opinion but I always feel erring on the side of a little too much communication as opposed to not quite enough is the way to go. If there is a member that is not a good fit I would send him/her a brief email and tell them they were banned for good. Same thing if someone was suspended for a period of time as I would send an email saying how long the suspension was for.

I hope I am in good standing as I like it here and hope this forum gets me to watch and then discuss a little racin'
As I've said before, I'm only a member like everyone else. I don't make the rules but I have my opinions. I also agree with the way things are done here. It's worked for a long time.

Fair enough..... I think the key words are...... 'When I was a Nascar Fan'..... ;)

The wheels fell off for me last year as I did not see much racing but my plan is to watch more this year at least until Labor Day. Nascar used to be a huge part of my life as for many years I attended 6 races a year for many year and never missed the others on TV. At this point I would like to see some good racing and I am not concerned about who wins.

The wheels fell off for me last year as I did not see much racing but my plan is to watch more this year at least until Labor Day. Nascar used to be a huge part of my life as for many years I attended 6 races a year for many year and never missed the others on TV. At this point I would like to see some good racing and I am not concerned about who wins.
I understand.......... the lugnuts started loosening up for me when Bill Jr. retired........ but...... that's another story...... the powers that be are gonna' get pissed off..... this is supposed to be a thread that pays homage to Squire Gordon....

As I've said before, I'm only a member like everyone else. I don't make the rules but I have my opinions. I also agree with the way things are done here. It's worked for a long time.

Same here with the op
I understand.......... the lugnuts started loosening up for me when Bill Jr. retired........ but...... that's another story...... the powers that be are gonna' get pissed off..... this is supposed to be a thread that pays homage to Squire Gordon....

I better say some stuff about Jeff then. I wonder what will become of the Fans Against Gordon?

I did that?

You can call him whatever you want. We all have our opinions of certain drivers.

My issue with you is that you seem to come to every Gordon thread to bash and bait.

That wasn't my intention, sorry you feel that way. BTW I never called JG an A-Hole, that was someone else who referred to Brad that way.

I only open threads where someone has posted and the thread is highlighted.

In the last few days alone you've called him an A-hole, dumb, and a whiner.

Oh gods, the 2015 race at Homestead is going to be bitter sweet for the NASCAR community. :(

Not if one of my TRD powered Toyota Camrys wins the thing. Not even a little. No disrespect intended to Jeff, but didn't Bill France once say that one driver isn't bigger than NASCAR? On NASCAR's biggest night, the focus needs to be on its Champion, not droning on and on about a retirement. We will have listened to 35 weeks of it.

Not if one of my TRD powered Toyota Camrys wins the thing. Not even a little. No disrespect intended to Jeff, but didn't Bill France once say that one driver isn't bigger than NASCAR? On NASCAR's biggest night, the focus needs to be on its Champion, not droning on and on about a retirement.

I think the only driver who was ever bigger than NASCAR would be Earnhardt Sr. For various reasons, Earnhardt Sr was NASCAR, and I think the brass knew it and respected it.

I think the only driver who was ever bigger than NASCAR would be Earnhardt Sr. For various reasons, Earnhardt Sr was NASCAR, and I think the brass knew it and respected it.

Very true, and he never got a farewell tour, and we never forgot him. There is a lesson in all of that as unfortunate as it is.....Greatness doesn't need a parade. We knew greatness. He knew we knew. That's enough. To honor the man is to honor the sport, and that means you celebrate the Champion.

Maybe ol' @Allenbaba wasn't quite as wrong as some thought....

http://autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117460
Hahaha. It's all good. I really had no reason to make anything up, I like Jeff. My "source" was impeccable on that one, I just didn't have the energy to argue with all the Rainbow Warriors here. It is what it is.

Helton and France played a big role as well (obviously not mentioned in the article) essentially guilting him into sticking around. They knew there would be a great influx of young talent coming in (as we've seen in the past two years) and fed Jeff with all the "if you retire now before we have time to reload, NASCAR could be ruined, and it'll be your fault" bullsh*t. They wanted a couple more years out of him to bridge the gap between old and young before he retired. "Held hostage" was a poor choice of words (obviously). But the reality is, all the big boys, including Mr H, weren't quite ready for him to go. And Jeff really resented it that season. It was obvious to everyone in the garage. Plus, all you have to do is look at the landscape 2 seasons ago versus today, (including Chase being ready to move up), and needing Jeff in the sport to get us to this point makes a lot of sense (just as it did to me when I was hearing it back then.) Could Jeff have retired a few seasons ago when he wanted to? Of course. He can do whatever he wants. But it would have gone against everyone's wishes...and some of those "everyone's"...one in particular...is sorta a selfish assh*le, if you know what I mean. And his last name does not begin with an "H."

Here's some more juice if you feel like taking a drink - Jeff is exploring running next year's Indy 500...the 100th anniversary. Several cup drivers are, including the obvious (Kubu, Tony, AJ) etc. I'm not saying he's going to, so don't start jumping on me. But don't be surprised when you start hearing whispers. He's definitely exploring it...I'm sure of that. I hope he does. That would be amazing.

Hahaha. It's all good. I really had no reason to make anything up, I like Jeff. My "source" was impeccable on that one, I just didn't have the energy to argue with all the Rainbow Warriors here. It is what it is.

Helton and France played a big role as well (obviously not mentioned in the article) essentially guilting him into sticking around. They knew there would be a great influx of young talent coming in (as we've seen in the past two years) and fed Jeff with all the "if you retire now before we have time to reload, NASCAR could be ruined, and it'll be your fault" bullsh*t. They wanted a couple more years out of him to bridge the gap between old and young before he retired. "Held hostage" was a poor choice of words (obviously). But the reality is, all the big boys, including Mr H, weren't quite ready for him to go. And Jeff really resented it that season. It was obvious to everyone in the garage. Plus, all you have to do is look at the landscape 2 seasons ago versus today, (including Chase being ready to move up), and needing Jeff in the sport to get us to this point makes a lot of sense (just as it did to me when I was hearing it back then.) Could Jeff have retired a few seasons ago when he wanted to? Of course. He can do whatever he wants. But it would have gone against everyone's wishes...and some of those "everyone's"...one in particular...is sorta a selfish assh*le, if you know what I mean. And his last name does not begin with an "H."

Here's some more juice if you feel like taking a drink - Jeff is exploring running next year's Indy 500...the 100th anniversary. Several cup drivers are, including the obvious (Kubu, Tony, AJ) etc. I'm not saying he's going to, so don't start jumping on me. But don't be surprised when you start hearing whispers. He's definitely exploring it...I'm sure of that. I hope he does. That would be amazing.
Honestly, when I read the held hostage stuff before, I took it to mean what you just said in the above post. Thanks for your insight and the indy 500 nugget. That is cool.

The 2016 500 is the year they plan on breaking Arie Luyendyk's track records. It'd be pretty amazing if he basically capped his career setting those or winning the race after his career really took off with his Indiana USAC days. It'd be a hell of a challenge physically though.

I saw in the article that @blanston posted that he'd consider running a Prototype. If GM wants to keep him in house I think he'd actually be a better fit and a better draw in one of the C7.Rs.

Honestly, when I read the held hostage stuff before, I took it to mean what you just said in the above post. Thanks for your insight and the indy 500 nugget. That is cool.
:XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL:

That probably had more to do with his back problems, getting married, having kids and the pressure that comes with the demand to be with them.

Doesn't every owner try to convince their drivers to stay one more year? :XXROFL:

Specially when we're talking about a caliber driver like Gordon?

Saying Rick and Brian and company are forcing Gordon to stay is quite a leap from trying to convince him to race one more year.

So NASCAR being rigged and buff with blackmailers, we are guaranteed Gordon gets at least 100 wins and an easy path to the championship.

If this happens consider me one of the Allen train. LOL

If someone writes enough outrageous BS about a driver or anything else, some of It's bound to happen or be close enough to try and spin it.

Very true, and he never got a farewell tour, and we never forgot him. There is a lesson in all of that as unfortunate as it is.....Greatness doesn't need a parade. We knew greatness. He knew we knew. That's enough. To honor the man is to honor the sport, and that means you celebrate the Champion.

These farewell tours are only to sell T-Shirts and widgets, IMO.

JMO, Pete but who cares what forum mavens say about BKez, JLo or any other driver? Dale Jr fans put up with an incredible amount of abuse over the years as have Jeff Gordon fans. Jack Roush and Rick Hendrick have been dumped on often too but what is said is just some dude's opinion and we all know what an opinion is akin to.

My sources are telling me a new Indy chassis is being measured to fit Tony. A two piece or more job that be can disassembled for entry, then reconstructed around him. The cup holder will also hold some Dip for his Nachos.

My sources are telling me a new Indy chassis is being measured to fit Tony. A two piece or more job that be can disassembled for entry, then reconstructed around him. The cup holder will also hold some Dip for his Nachos.
Sounds as reasonable as some of the other stuff. Yep I believe it. :cool:

So NASCAR being rigged and buff with blackmailers, we are guaranteed Gordon gets at least 100 wins and an easy path to the championship.

If this happens consider me one of the Allen train. LOL

I would encourage you to read "the elders of Nasczarzionation".

I cant even pronounce that word. Get all sorts of tongue tied. :p
Probably doesn't matter, they actively destroy all copies that can be found.
I used to be a runner that smuggled the exposes into Nascar events.
But security became an issue and bringing them via body cavities never worked well with the difficulties of neatly reassembling them afterwards. The pages usually were ruined after scrubbing.

Driscoll was the final straw. Nascar hired her to work covertly as a good will ambassador. But she was pretty much a bouncer that stopped us from smuggling in copies that exposed the Elders and their sadistic control.
Driscoll also kept Jeff Gordon in her crossbair(s), thus keeping him enslaved to Nascar.
The recent events that blew her cover and changed her focus finally emancipated Jeff.

Probably doesn't matter, they actively destroy all copies that can be found.
I used to be a runner that smuggled the exposes into Nascar events.
But security became an issue and bringing them via body cavities never worked well with the difficulties of neatly reassembling them afterwards. The pages usually were ruined after scrubbing.

Driscoll was the final straw. Nascar hired her to work covertly as a good will ambassador. But she was pretty much a bouncer that stopped us from smuggling in copies that exposed the Elders and their sadistic control.
Driscoll also kept Jeff Gordon in her crossbair(s), thus keeping him enslaved to Nascar.
The recent events that blew her cover and changed her focus finally emancipated Jeff.

e5000539.gif

This is the first I'm commenting on Jeff's impending retirement. Since I was 3 years old, I've been a Jeff Gordon fan. 14 years later, I'm still a Jeff Gordon fan. I'm not surprised by the announcement, but it did hit me pretty hard nonetheless. Honestly I don't know if watching Nascar will ever be the same. I won't feel the anger I felt at Texas 2014 ever again. I won't feel the sense of pride I felt in Phoenix 2012 for my driver standing up for himself in that way. I won't ever feel the triumph I felt this year at the Brickyard ever again. I won't have any more hold-your-breath moments when my driver is leading with 20 laps to go.

I see myself dividing the 24 by 2 and following the 12 car very soon though...

That's the only thing that's got me still looking forward to 2015.

For the Dale E. fans, we lost our driver in a second and there were many raw emotions afterwards, but not because he no longer raced BUT WHY he no longer raced. Memories have a way of being great as time goes by. Enjoy the season and store up memories.

I think anyone would be royally pi**ed if you were taken out of the chase intentionally. That's the day I lost all respect for that driver.

Clint is being a baby.

If Gordon held grudges he'd have them for half the field imo. He's been taken out more times than I can count.

Even betrayed.

With the news on Thursday that Jeff Gordon will step away from full-time NASCAR Sprint Cup racing after this season, he was asked about his legacy.

“If anything, it’s about seeing a kid’s dream come true in real life in front of thousands if not millions of people,” Gordon said.

There is another way to put it.

Without Jeff Gordon, there likely is no Texas Motor Speedway. Or Cup racing from Indianapolis to southern California. Or Cup racers from all points in between.

In 1993, his first full-time Cup season, NASCAR’s area of influence was restricted to the southeast. Of the 30 Cup races, 13 were in the Carolinas and Virginia. It was very much a regional sport.

Gordon’s combination of driving skills and youthful, charismatic personality helped trigger an explosion of interest that elevated NASCAR to a national level. Within his first decade as a Cup racer, regions with sparkling new facilities such as TMS clamored to jump aboard NASCAR. Television coverage mushroomed.

“It was fun to be part of that incredible growth,” Gordon said. “Just going to the racetrack every weekend, and the grandstands were filled. They were putting in more grandstands, and they’d fill those. They’d put in more grandstands, and they’d fill those.

“It was very, very cool.”

Gordon also changed the definition of what it took to become a Cup driver. He grew up on open-wheel racing in California, well-removed from the Southern dirt-track background of most racers. Gordon opened the door to drivers such as Cup champions Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart and rising talents such as Kyle Larson.

“He’s meant to much to me, the sport, the drivers,” said team owner Rick Hendrick, who put Gordon into the No. 24 Chevrolet. “Young guys owe him so much. He broke a lot of barriers to help people get into the sport.”

Gordon, 43, is scheduled to make two appearances at TMS this season: April 11 in the Duck Commander 500 and Nov. 8 in the AAA Texas 500.

Gordon has said he developed a “love-hate relationship” with TMS through the years. By the numbers, it has been his least-successful track. He has only one win in 28 starts, that coming in the spring of 2009, and his average finish of 17.6 is the worst of all Cup tracks.

TMS is among 19 tracks at which Gordon has made 20-plus Cup starts. He has multiple wins at the other 18 tracks.

“I’ve known Jeff since he was a teenager with a really bad mustache,” said TMS president Eddie Gossage, at Atlanta Motor Speedway when Gordon made his Cup debut in November, 1992. “It has been thrilling to watch him develop … into perhaps the greatest professional our sport has ever seen. You won’t find a finer professional, person or charitable athlete.”

In an ironic twist, success at the Cup level last season convinced Gordon that 2015 would be the end.

Frustrated by a balky back and inconsistent car, Gordon had considered retirement for a few years but did not want to leave as a has-been. Gordon rediscovered the golden touch last year.

He had four wins, his most since 2007, and was a legitimate Cup contender until being eliminated after nine races. His confidence revived, Gordon has a dream scenario in which his final scene is going for the title in the winner-take-all season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

“You want to go out on top,” Gordon said. “But if that’s not possible, I want to go out being competitive and putting on great racing at the top level all the way to the end. That’s all I ask for.”

With that in mind, Gordon will not engage in a Derek Jeter-like farewell tour. He wants to focus on racing and will wait until 2016 and beyond to bask in the testimonials. Gordon wants his last ride to be a good one.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mo...nd-texas-motor-speedway-reach-new-heights.ece
--

So much for that wild theory that he was forced to stay put.

Without Jeff Gordon, there likely is no Texas Motor Speedway. Or Cup racing from Indianapolis to southern California. Or Cup racers from all points in between.

In 1993, his first full-time Cup season, NASCAR’s area of influence was restricted to the southeast. Of the 30 Cup races, 13 were in the Carolinas and Virginia. It was very much a regional sport.

Gordon’s combination of driving skills and youthful, charismatic personality helped trigger an explosion of interest that elevated NASCAR to a national level. Within his first decade as a Cup racer, regions with sparkling new facilities such as TMS clamored to jump aboard NASCAR. Television coverage mushroomed.

“It was fun to be part of that incredible growth,” Gordon said. “Just going to the racetrack every weekend, and the grandstands were filled. They were putting in more grandstands, and they’d fill those. They’d put in more grandstands, and they’d fill those.

“It was very, very cool.”

Gordon also changed the definition of what it took to become a Cup driver. He grew up on open-wheel racing in California, well-removed from the Southern dirt-track background of most racers. Gordon opened the door to drivers such as Cup champions Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart and rising talents such as Kyle Larson.

“He’s meant to much to me, the sport, the drivers,” said team owner Rick Hendrick, who put Gordon into the No. 24 Chevrolet. “Young guys owe him so much. He broke a lot of barriers to help people get into the sport.”

Gordon, 43, is scheduled to make two appearances at TMS this season: April 11 in the Duck Commander 500 and Nov. 8 in the AAA Texas 500.

Gordon has said he developed a “love-hate relationship” with TMS through the years. By the numbers, it has been his least-successful track. He has only one win in 28 starts, that coming in the spring of 2009, and his average finish of 17.6 is the worst of all Cup tracks.

TMS is among 19 tracks at which Gordon has made 20-plus Cup starts. He has multiple wins at the other 18 tracks.

“I’ve known Jeff since he was a teenager with a really bad mustache,” said TMS president Eddie Gossage, at Atlanta Motor Speedway when Gordon made his Cup debut in November, 1992. “It has been thrilling to watch him develop … into perhaps the greatest professional our sport has ever seen. You won’t find a finer professional, person or charitable athlete.”

In an ironic twist, success at the Cup level last season convinced Gordon that 2015 would be the end.

Frustrated by a balky back and inconsistent car, Gordon had considered retirement for a few years but did not want to leave as a has-been. Gordon rediscovered the golden touch last year.

He had four wins, his most since 2007, and was a legitimate Cup contender until being eliminated after nine races. His confidence revived, Gordon has a dream scenario in which his final scene is going for the title in the winner-take-all season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

“You want to go out on top,” Gordon said. “But if that’s not possible, I want to go out being competitive and putting on great racing at the top level all the way to the end. That’s all I ask for.”

With that in mind, Gordon will not engage in a Derek Jeter-like farewell tour. He wants to focus on racing and will wait until 2016 and beyond to bask in the testimonials. Gordon wants his last ride to be a good one.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mo...nd-texas-motor-speedway-reach-new-heights.ece
--

So much for that wild theory that he was forced to stay put.

I respect Gordon and I don't want to Fart on this thread but in my subjective opinion the first few sentences I used to quote from your link is way over the top.
He is one of the greats, and instrumental in the growth. A person would have to a fool to deny his impact.

But no Texas, Indy, California or other new markets and other venues without Gordon?
I am sorry but that is just an incredulous claim. The writer must be letting some sentimental emotions take him over the top.

Nascar was a growing product and it was going to expand to those new markets with or without or Gordon. One could also insert or replace it with Dale Earnhardts name and still be just as wrong.

It took until 1979 to get the live CBS coverage of Daytona. TV coverage steadily increased throughout the 80s. Obviously it wasn't on National networks or the big 3 at the time. But it was the advent of a new age, the reason I got cable in the 80s for the racing I am thinking many others did as well.
By the end of the decade most fans could and were getting the coverage from ESPN, TNN, TBS etc through one provider or another.

ESPN obviously covered a lot of sports and without question exposed new eyes as did those other networks, all of this prior to 1993.

Bruton Smiths ambition built Vegas, Texas, etc. Penske built California, and Bob Bahre(sp) was hell bent on building Loudon. With all due respect those ambitions did not live and die with Gordons presence. They were inevitable, not dependent on any driver.

I respect Gordon and I don't want to Fart on this thread but in my subjective opinion the first few sentences I used to quote from your link is way over the top.
He is one of the greats, and instrumental in the growth. A person would have to a fool to deny his impact.

But no Texas, Indy, California or other new markets and other venues without Gordon?
I am sorry but that is just an incredulous claim. The writer must be letting some sentimental emotions take him over the top.

Nascar was a growing product and it was going to expand to those new markets with or without or Gordon. One could also insert or replace it with Dale Earnhardts name and still be just as wrong.

It took until 1979 to get the live CBS coverage of Daytona. TV coverage steadily increased throughout the 80s. Obviously it wasn't on National networks or the big 3 at the time. But it was the advent of a new age, the reason I got cable in the 80s for the racing I am thinking many others did as well.
By the end of the decade most fans could and were getting the coverage from ESPN, TNN, TBS etc through one provider or another.

ESPN obviously covered a lot of sports and without question exposed new eyes as did those other networks, all of this prior to 1993.

Bruton Smiths ambition built Vegas, Texas, etc. Penske built California, and Bob Bahre(sp) was hell bent on building Loudon. With all due respect those ambitions did not live and die with Gordons presence. They were inevitable, not dependent on any driver.

I dont think the writer is implying he was the sole reason. But did help move the sport forward tenfold.

Certainly I dont think Gordon made any of that happened. It was probably going to happen regardless but theres no denying his rapid success helped out NASCAR in a big way regarding the growth of it.

But I'm more interested and proud that he was the one who busted open the doors for other such great drivers that didn't necessarily have southern roots upbringing. That's cool.

Back
Top Bottom