Bring Back The Tandem

And the cost would be enormous compared to a little plate.
So was going to the COT , I dont recall that being a very cheap transition.

I whole heartedly agree!!!

I'm sure greater motorheads than myself have worked on this but why not build smaller cu in motors (non restricted) for the big tracks. By limiting cubes and say compression wouldn't there be a drastic reduction in HP without those @#$% restrictor plates???
I do believe when the Goody Dash's Series was running the 4 and 6cyls , even at Daytona they were using a plate , but most teams were running the V-6's. But I am not sure what the engine specs were.

Or I could be wrong, its been a long time now, and CRS is active.

And the cost would be enormous compared to a little plate.

I do know that there is much more cost than "just a plate" that goes into a restrictor plate enigne. These are specifically built for just those 4 races and require a much different set of specs than the others.

I do believe when the Goody Dash's Series was running the 4 and 6cyls , even at Daytona they were using a plate , but most teams were running the V-6's. But I am not sure what the engine specs were.

Or I could be wrong, its been a long time now, and CRS is active.

I don't remember those guys running plates but that was (sad to say) a looong time ago!

Anyhow, No way with less cylinders(for now)!!! Although the millenials sure love the sound of those bumble bees.

would like to see how fast a modern non plate car would go in the draft. I know Rusty took one out unplated and got to over 200 alone, but how fast would that be in the draft?

would like to see how fast a modern non plate car would go in the draft. I know Rusty took one out unplated and got to over 200 alone, but how fast would that be in the draft?

Too fast if you're paying for the liability insurance.

Assuming you could find somewhere to buy it.

You can kinda get an idea in Forza 6. They don't have a Gen 6 chassis, but they do have a model of a NASCAR engine and Daytona as a track. You just need to put the engine in a Chevy SS and upgrade it to NASCAR spec to get an idea.

I've hit 230 on the backstretch of Daytona, and that's without a draft.Yes, it is terrifying and yes you do have to lift if you don't want to die so setting up a pack would probably be impossible. Ironically, you can't even put restrictor plates on if you wanted to but you can take the tapered spacers off. Letting loose nearly 1000 hp at Daytona is something I have yet to mustered the courage to do.

I guess I missed something in the transition to the digital world.

Rusty reached a top speed of 228 mph and that was with practically no testing and with a car that is less aerodynamic than the current cars. Just imagine how fast these current cars could go if they underwent extensive practice sessions and perfected the setups. I think 250 mph would be possible in a tandem draft.

Forgive me if Im wrong but that race was full of 3lane racing and sometimes even 4 lane racing! :O

Forgive me if Im wrong but that race was full of 3lane racing and sometimes even 4 lane racing! :O
It sure was. Have you had a chance to watch the races at Daytona and Talladega when the tandem style of drafting was used for about 3 years? It wasn't as nerve-wracking as the pack drafting, but it allowed for many more lead changes. I think there were something like 75 lead changes at a Talladega race with the tandem draft.

It sure was. Have you had a chance to watch the races at Daytona and Talladega when the tandem style of drafting was used for about 3 years? It wasn't as nerve-wracking as the pack drafting, but it allowed for many more lead changes. I think there were something like 75 lead changes at a Talladega race with the tandem draft.

Just watched some from Daytona 2011. Basically pushing each other in pairs right?
Aren't they allowed to do that now?! I thought it was just the Xfinity series that had to bump but not stay in contact this year???

You can kinda get an idea in Forza 6. They don't have a Gen 6 chassis, but they do have a model of a NASCAR engine and Daytona as a track. You just need to put the engine in a Chevy SS and upgrade it to NASCAR spec to get an idea.

I've hit 230 on the backstretch of Daytona, and that's without a draft.Yes, it is terrifying and yes you do have to lift if you don't want to die so setting up a pack would probably be impossible. Ironically, you can't even put restrictor plates on if you wanted to but you can take the tapered spacers off. Letting loose nearly 1000 hp at Daytona is something I have yet to mustered the courage to do.

You mean you've done it on Forza or in real life?!

Just watched some from Daytona 2011. Basically pushing each other in pairs right?
Aren't they allowed to do that now?! I thought it was just the Xfinity series that had to bump but not stay in contact this year???
Yes - tandem drafting is pushing each other in pairs. The Sprint Cup Series is allowed to do that now, but it is MUCH more difficult than it was a few years ago. Back then, the front and rear bumpers were nearly identical, so it was easier to push without wrecking the lead tandem car. NASCAR also narrowed the grill openings since then, so if drivers were to tandem draft now, the trailing tandem car's engine would overheat very quickly.

NASCAR is no different to most sports and things in life - forever changing; some which people like - some which people don't like.
I assume all the people on this website wouldn't be able to agree on a set of rules and regs so why would the NASCAR officials be any different?
Food for thought - night!

Tandem racing was really fun to watch and I wouldn't mind bringing it back.

There were 88 lead changes. The problem is that 87 of them were meaningless. They were not passes based on merit. There was an illusion of competition. Manufactured drama is inherently unsatisfying. Unfortunately, this is what we get when we over emphasize a shallow metric such as the number of lead changes, IMO.

not that it matters with the chase, but the pusher in that tandem crap deserved the same points as the one they were pushing. hope to never see that again.

I loved the big runs the tandem had. They need to bring it back one more time so I can watch it from the stands. The 2011 'Dega race was one of the best. My opinion.
:puffin:

They're allowed to, but the bumpers are curved (versus being flat in 2011-12) to make the cars slide off each other, the spoilers are so tiny that the cars are constantly unstable, and the grille intakes are so tiny that the radiators are starved for air, which makes the cars overheat in a hurry. Additionally, there is an underhang on the rear end that traps air under the rear of the car to further restrict airflow to the tiny intake. Ere go, it's all but impossible to stay locked on.

There were 88 lead changes. The problem is that 87 of them were meaningless. They were not passes based on merit. There was an illusion of competition. Manufactured drama is inherently unsatisfying. Unfortunately, this is what we get when we over emphasize a shallow metric such as the number of lead changes, IMO.

How could you possibly judge that they were not "based on merit"? How was there an "illusion of competition"? You're just saying things instead of explaining what was wrong with the tandem. In your opinion.

The Two-Man Luge always makes me cringe.

Thankfully, it's only an issue every 4 years.

Tandem racing was really fun to watch and I wouldn't mind bringing it back.
I agree, it was a real art for two guys to drive as one and use the draft.

I think the drivers didn't like it because it required more effort on their part.

Back
Top Bottom