Bristol Motor Speedway to host college football game

MRM

Team Owner
Bristol Motor Speedway will play host to a college football game in 2016 when Tennessee plays Virginia Tech. This has been talked about for a number of years. When it was originally proposed, Bruton Smith guaranteed both schools $20 million each. No word on money or any other details. There will be a press conference at the track on Monday.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013...-virginia-tech-bristol-motor/?partner=popular

The conversion has already begun.

CqdlMr1XgAATs03.jpg:large

During the rain delays on Saturday night they were saying on PRN how the preparation schedule over the next 3 weeks was not by the day but by the hour it was so tight, and the last thing Bristol wanted to see was this end up being delayed until Sunday. Guess this will just the schedule that much tighter for them.

It's actually hosting two games. SoCon foes (FCS) ETSU and Western Carolina are also playing there....

yes sir.

As a Western Carolina Alumni...Go Catamounts!

I'm a big FCS fan myself, Lehigh is my team, so I think it's pretty cool! The Catamounts have turned the corner recently. Without App State and GSU in the conference there's definitely more parity....

I'm a big FCS fan myself, Lehigh is my team, so I think it's pretty cool! The Catamounts have turned the corner recently. Without App State and GSU in the conference there's definitely more parity....

Agreed with that, i think they actually hired the right guy for the job this time around also. We went through some dreadful years, right before App State made the jump for FBS, we plucked one of their coaches for the HC job. Finally he's building something to be proud of.

That's pretty cool but it's going to be one of those getting to say you were there things more than actually getting to enjoy it. People in turns ( if they fill it up) are not going to see anything except replays on Colossus.

Like my inaugural Indy 400 experience. Except all I could see was the 33 car pylon to keep me informed.

Still doesn't look nearly as bad as many of the Final Four views. Nothing worse than playing a game on a court barely thirty yards long in the middle of a behemoth of a stadium.

During the rain delays on Saturday night they were saying on PRN how the preparation schedule over the next 3 weeks was not by the day but by the hour it was so tight, and the last thing Bristol wanted to see was this end up being delayed until Sunday. Guess this will just the schedule that much tighter for them.
One of the sports talk shows here in Knoxville reported that some of the non essential things in the infield were being moved/deconstructed during the delay since the schedule was so tight.

One of the sports talk shows here in Knoxville reported that some of the non essential things in the infield were being moved/deconstructed during the delay since the schedule was so tight.
What did they even have to remove? The only thing I remember them having out there was the scoring tower.

It really is not THAT far off of the field of play, the camera makes it look far worse. Anyone that's been to Bristol knows that it's crammed in there pretty good.

If it's as bad as some are saying, the TV cameras will definitely show it since the view we get is from the press box.

You'll definitely need binoculars to see the players. :D
Yep. See those two guys in the left corner of the near end zone? To see them will take a pair of binos that may well cost at least as much as the tickets. But then, we've already decided this is more about being there than actually watching a ball game.

It really is not THAT far off of the field of play, the camera makes it look far worse. Anyone that's been to Bristol knows that it's crammed in there pretty good.

If it's as bad as some are saying, the TV cameras will definitely show it since the view we get is from the press box.
Look at it in detail. See the width of the field? Those 'close' seats on the racing front and back stretches appear to be at least that far away.

I wonder if they sold seats in Victory Lane atop the media center?

Suppose the night race sponsors paid extra to have their names left on the aprons? Or will the track be painting something else down there?

What are they going to use for locker rooms?

Think about it though, yeah it is crammed in for a half mile race track, but a 100 yard field is a fraction of that.

I am assuming since this game will be played at a Nascar track there will be a competition caution, at least 1 points reset and even if the field is working well the grass will be mowed at halftime.

Think about it though, yeah it is crammed in for a half mile race track, but a 100 yard field is a fraction of that.

It is like when the Maple Leafs and Red Wings played at the Big House as I think it mainly the experience of seeing an event like that in person.

It's going to be bad. Here's a comparison that UT released of Neyland Stadium and BMS. Keep in mind, Neyland seats over 100,000.

Screenshot2013-10-10at11.10.15AM_crop_north.png

It's going to be bad. Here's a comparison that UT released of Neyland Stadium and BMS. Keep in mind, Neyland seats over 100,000.

Screenshot2013-10-10at11.10.15AM_crop_north.png
I'd like to thank the university for making my point. The 'close' seats will be almost as far away as Neyland's cheap seats (or would be if there were such things as 'cheap' seats in college football).

I'd like to thank the university for making my point. The 'close' seats will be almost as far away as Neyland's cheap seats (or would be if there were such things as 'cheap' seats in college football).
Yep and I'm pretty sure my seats are above the line of red seats in the top of the picture.

Back
Top Bottom