Bucket List

racingfan7

Start and Park
Contributor
I seen someone mentioning bucket list in the Martinsville pre-race thread. I don't know if this is the proper forum (it gets the most hits & replies anyway), but was curious to see everyone's bucket list, whether it's any motorsport.

Mine:

1 - Daytona Speedweeks (let's not forget the other racing in Florida that whole week)
2 - Knoxville Nationals or Kings Royal
3 - Martinsville
4 - Bristol Fall Week
5 - NHRA US Nationals @ Indianapolis
6 - 24 Hours of Daytona
7 - Ford Championship Weekend @ Homestead-Miami
8 - Chili Bowl
9 - Indianapolis 500
10 - Super DIRT Week

Darlington, Daytona & Talladega would complete my 'Bucket List' of tracks to attend. Ones that are still on the schedule, that is.

Nice thread, cool idea.

Martinsville (spring or fall)
Darlington Southern 500
Daytona 500
Eldora (trucks)
Mid Ohio (xfinity)

That's my bucket list to accomplish in the next few years. Long term, there are several more.

I seen someone mentioning bucket list in the Martinsville pre-race thread. I don't know if this is the proper forum (it gets the most hits & replies anyway), but was curious to see everyone's bucket list, whether it's any motorsport.

Mine:

1 - Daytona Speedweeks (let's not forget the other racing in Florida that whole week)
2 - Knoxville Nationals or Kings Royal
3 - Martinsville
4 - Bristol Fall Week
5 - NHRA US Nationals @ Indianapolis
6 - 24 Hours of Daytona
7 - Ford Championship Weekend @ Homestead-Miami
8 - Chili Bowl
9 - Indianapolis 500
10 - Super DIRT Week
I've been to the Chili Bowl (this year will be my 11th I think) and finally made it to the Indy 500 this year. I like your list :punkrocke

In no particular order
Knoxville Nationals
World 100
Daytona Speedweeks
Manaco
Duquion or Springfield for USAC Silver Crown
Super Dirt Week (still upset that I never got to see Syracuse)
All the tracks in Indiana that I haven't been to.

Reactions: sdj
I want to eventually get to all 23 NASCAR tracks. So far, I've been to 8. Moving to the Midwest got me back motivated to do this, as I got to two new tracks this season (Chicago & Michigan). Next year, I hope to check Martinsville off the list.

I've been to Las Vegas, Fontana, Sonoma, Kansas. Will be at Phoenix next month and hoping to go to Martinsville next spring if everything works out.

I really have no desire to go to another NASCAR race, mainly just like the short track asphalt and dirt stuff. With that being said, my #1 bucket list race right now is the Snowball Derby.

Been to the Daytona 500, Coke Zero 400, IndyCar Race in St. Pete, 12 hours of Sebring, USA International before it closed, now to complete the Florida races I need to go to Homestead.

In no order:
- 24 hours of LeMans
- 24 hours of LeMons (I want to participate in this, I can find a cheap car to do that)
- Indy 500
- Southern 500
- Brickyard 400
- Coke 600

Essentially all of the "crown jewels" of NASCAR including Bristol and M'ville. To see any of these would be incredible.

In Nascar: Dover, Darlington, Martinsville and Vegas, I've already been to all the others I want to go to.

Other: Monaco Grand Prix, Knoxville nationals, Volusia Speedweeks Super late Models, Snowball Derby, Chili Bowl, NHRA 4 wide Nationals at Charlotte.

FYI for my 2 cent worth on Homestead on any lists above, save your money for a great event like Bristol night race or the Daytona 500, Homestead sucks, JMHO.

Sucks as a racetrack or sucks as a facility or what? With the final 4 here to stay, it's an entertaining 3 days, plus Homestead has put on good racing.

The Southern 500 is probably the only one left on my absolute-must list at this point.

Done the 600, the 500, Bristol night, Martinsville, and even the championship 4. I'd like to make a 4 or 5 day Vegas trip out of their race weekend, Dover, and maybe Texas.

- See racing at all of the current cup tracks ( still have 8 left, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Fontana, Texas, Talladega, Charlotte, Chicagoland)
- See Trophee Andros Ice/rallycross race in France
- Knoxville Raceway and Lucas Oil Raceway (Wheatland)
- See V8 Supercars in Australia (saw them in Texas but wanna see them in their homeland)
- See 410 sprint cars in Australia
- Chili Bowl
- See F1 Stock cars and BTCC in the UK
- See DTM and F1 in Europe
- Le Mans
- See Stock Car Brasil ans Forumla truck in Brazil

I've been to the Chili Bowl (this year will be my 11th I think) and finally made it to the Indy 500 this year. I like your list :punkrocke

In no particular order
Knoxville Nationals
World 100
Daytona Speedweeks
Manaco
Duquion or Springfield for USAC Silver Crown
Super Dirt Week (still upset that I never got to see Syracuse)
All the tracks in Indiana that I haven't been to.

I was actually really impressed with dirt week at Oswego. Even though the track conditions were far less than great, it was still a really awesome event.

If you go to DuQuoin or Springfield for Silver Crown, make sure to stay the extra day for ARCA. Those are really unique races.
I saw a rumor somewhere that they may be having a USAC National midget race at the Illinois State Fairgrounds (Springfield) as well. They have a smaller facility on the fairgrounds that they host things like demo derbies, etc... I peeked through the fence one time and saw they were having go kart races or something, didn't go in because i have no interest in that. Really nice (but small) covered grandstands there. I'm really hoping they do something like have it the evening of the USAC or ARCA race (since those are day races). That would be an amazing race weekend

Been to the Daytona 500, Coke Zero 400, IndyCar Race in St. Pete, 12 hours of Sebring, USA International before it closed, now to complete the Florida races I need to go to Homestead.

In no order:
- 24 hours of LeMans
- 24 hours of LeMons (I want to participate in this, I can find a cheap car to do that)
- Indy 500
- Southern 500
- Brickyard 400
- Coke 600

Essentially all of the "crown jewels" of NASCAR including Bristol and M'ville. To see any of these would be incredible.

Trust me......you do not want to go to the Brickyard 400 as it is the worst place to see a race from. I would definitely visit the track, go to the museum and take a ride around the track but don't go to the race unless it is just something you want to say you did.

The Southern 500
Martinsville when they inevitably get a night race
World 100 and King's Royal at Eldora
The Chili Bowl
Knoxville Nationals

In Nascar: Dover, Darlington, Martinsville and Vegas, I've already been to all the others I want to go to.

Other: Monaco Grand Prix, Knoxville nationals, Volusia Speedweeks Super late Models, Snowball Derby, Chili Bowl, NHRA 4 wide Nationals at Charlotte.

FYI for my 2 cent worth on Homestead on any lists above, save your money for a great event like Bristol night race or the Daytona 500, Homestead sucks, JMHO.

I have heard Homestead is not a great event to see live from several people so there must be something to it.

Trust me......you do not want to go to the Brickyard 400 as it is the worst place to see a race from. I would definitely visit the track, go to the museum and take a ride around the track but don't go to the race unless it is just something you want to say you did.

While I agree that it sucks that you can't see much there due to all the crap in the infield, i think its still worth seeing a race there.
If you think its not worth seeing a race there, then I guess its also not worth seeing a race at 99% of the road courses out there.
It does suck, but you can still see some good racing and still have a good time

There's not a lot of bad seats at Kansas. Las Vegas and Fontana have worse sightlines than at Kansas. Sonoma has good views of pretty much everywhere if you're in Turn 7 or the Esses.

I am good with seeing anything Nascar related as I was fortunate enough to attend many events beginning in the 80's. I have adapted to the changes in sports leagues but not so much with Nascar so I will cherish my happy memories and leave it at that.

I always like going to Mid-Ohio especially for Vintage Motorcycle Days and that is something I would like to do again and the same goes for USAC events at IRP and whatever is rolling around Eldora. All the tracks are close to me so getting to them is super easy. I would also like to visit my family in Australia and one of my cousins is a big Aussie Supercar fan so I would like to take in a race with him. At some point I would like to test drive the Nissan GT-R and I will probably end up buying a 370z Coupe at some point and maybe even a Nismo model. Have to see how the health holds up though as I would like to take one more banzai run on a Hayabusa or something equivalent. I really miss my 'Busa but it would be stupid for me to get another one at this point which probably means I will.

It's no worse than Kansas or some of the other cup tracks...

I figure it is similar to Kansas and Homestead which to me would mean they are not must see events to see live such as Martinsville or Darlington.

There's not a lot of bad seats at Kansas. Las Vegas and Fontana have worse sightlines than at Kansas. Sonoma has good views of pretty much everywhere if you're in Turn 7 or the Esses.
I wasn't bashing Kansas, I was just saying, the racing at homestead is fine, certainly not worse than most of the tracks on the schedule.
I agree, Sonoma has some of the better visibility of any of the roadcourses I've been to. I've seen ones with a little better visibility at a few tracks, but not many

@Johali has been there several times posting pics from his seats. He seems to like it. That's a good enough endorsement for me.

Absolutely as he is a race fan and if he enjoys it there sure is merit to it. I don't have any positives or negatives concerning the track as I can't recall seeing any specific race from the track as I am still mad the old Atlanta is not the final race lol.

I figure it is similar to Kansas and Homestead which to me would mean they are not must see events to see live such as Martinsville or Darlington.

I'll agree that tracks like Kansas, Homestead, etc... are certainly not as good as tracks like Martinsville or Darlington. I don't think Homestead stands out as a particularly bad one though

Though admittedly Kansas was my first Cup race since 2013. I was surprised at the lack of hospitality tents & live entertainment compared to Fontana in 2013. Fanatics wasn't too bad though.

Is this different at certain tracks or what's the deal this year? Hopefully Phoenix has some simulators and the like.

1. Daytona 500
2. Coca-Cola 600
3. Indy 500
4. Bristol Night
5. 24 Hours of LeMans
6. 24 Hours of Daytona
7. Italian GP, Canadian GP, German GP or British GP
8. World Rally Sweden
9. Watkins Glen
Non-Racing ones
10. The Masters
11. The Open Championship at St Andrews
12. Ryder Cup
13. Play at Augusta, Pebble Beach, St.Andrews, plus many others.
14. Man Utd vs. Liverpool at Old Trafford sitting in the Stretford End
15. World Cup Final
16. Champions League Final
17. FA Cup Final with Man Utd playing
18. Capitals Stanley Cup Finals Game
19. Orioles World Series Game
Plus others, I have a lot

Been fortunate to be able to attend many special sporting events in my time. I think the only event I would list would be:

Goodwood Festival of Speed

I have heard Homestead is not a great event to see live from several people so there must be something to it.
@Johali has been there several times posting pics from his seats. He seems to like it. That's a good enough endorsement for me.
Absolutely as he is a race fan and if he enjoys it there sure is merit to it. I don't have any positives or negatives concerning the track as I can't recall seeing any specific race from the track as I am still mad the old Atlanta is not the final race lol.
Homestead like all tracks is what you make of it. It's the last race of the season so there is all out racing every lap every year. The excitement is palpable throughout the stands. I love it. And as always it's much better in person. These are pictures from my seats last year and I try to sit in the same ones whenever we go. Those empty seats in front of us were filled up for the Cup race. That's why they sell out every year.
upload_2016-10-24_17-9-11.png
upload_2016-10-24_17-11-4.png

upload_2016-10-24_17-12-18.png

Homestead like all tracks is what you make of it. It's the last race of the season so there is all out racing every lap every year. The excitement is palpable throughout the stands. I love it. And as always it's much better in person. These are pictures from my seats last year and I try to sit in the same ones whenever we go. Those empty seats in front of us were filled up for the Cup race. That's why they sell out every year.
View attachment 21415 View attachment 21416

View attachment 21417
Those look similar to my Fontana seats. At LVMS we are damn near at the top, inline with the commitment line to pit road.
I really don't have a sports or motor sport bucket list. If it wasn't for my family, I wouldn't even be going to races anymore. I think I enjoy the tailgating more than the races.

Speedweeks is a must for me
Bristol night race
Martinsville
Eldora Truck Race
I'd like to go to the Indy 500 but I know it's not a great place to watch a race and I can't imagine trying to get out of there once the race ends

View attachment 21417

Great pics and I am glad you have such a great time and before you know it you will be heading south!

What he said. Visit the place, see the museum, take the ride-around, and then drive 15 miles due west to ORP. Not only is the racing better, but you can actually see it. Races on the Indy oval are the most overrated events in motorsports; the road course may be better.

View attachment 21417
Well, I can't argue with the pictures, but I will say most of the seats near the start/finish line I have sat in you could not see most of the frontstretch through the fence. If it wasn't so close to me, I would not bother going to a race there. That said, going to Homestead is great if you like arepas.

Those look similar to my Fontana seats. At LVMS we are damn near at the top, inline with the commitment line to pit road.
I really don't have a sports or motor sport bucket list. If it wasn't for my family, I wouldn't even be going to races anymore. I think I enjoy the tailgating more than the races.
Ahem!...and your buddy. :mad:
Correction Buddies sorry @DUN24 :)

And there is nothing more important than spending time with family and friends. No justification necessary.

Back
Top Bottom