Observations From a Road Trip

S

Skoalbandit33

I had to be in Venice FL last Wednesday for a function so the smartest thing would have been to fly down and rent a car but the most fun was to do a road trip which I opted for.

Some observations: Highest temp was south of Ocala at 97 degrees and the low was 42 atop Clingmans Dome in TN.

At the counters of the Waffle House, Huddle House and Waffle King no one speaks of Nascar anymore unless asked. I engaged some locals in Nascar conversation and I got an earful and if I condense all the conversation it comes down to people feeling Brian France has ruined the series, "the stupid chase", and uninspiring on track product.

In 3000 miles and 10 states I saw one vehicle with any sort of Nascar fan identification and that was a black front tag with Dale's stylized 3 on it on a Dodge Durango near Chattanooga.

There were lots of vehicles with decals supporting college teams and surprisingly a lot of Tampa Bay Lightning decals on cars and trucks too.

You don't need a cane, walker or motorized wheelchair the further south you travel in Florida but it sure doesn't hurt if you want to blend in.

There were a ton of Amish women at Clingmans Dome but no Asian tourists.

IMO if you don't like the scenery in north GA, western Carolina and eastern TN you must be blind

Last Saturday I think everyone from Portsmouth OH up to Delphos was wearing some sort of Ohio St apparel.

It is time for me to hit the road again!

Portsmouth OH

Portsmouth might be the biggest dump in Ohio. For several years, whenever I passed through while traveling down south, I thought it sucked. My opinion was confirmed once I spent some time there visiting friends who attended Shawnee State at the time.

And yes, everyone here in Ohio is obsessed with the Buckeyes. There are a handful of Michigan fans and a few oddballs like myself (Florida fan here!) but the overwhelming majority of the state is OSU crazy.

Portsmouth might be the biggest dump in Ohio. For several years, whenever I passed through while traveling down south, I thought it sucked. My opinion was confirmed once I spent some time there visiting friends who attended Shawnee State at the time.

And yes, everyone here in Ohio is obsessed with the Buckeyes. There are a handful of Michigan fans and a few oddballs like myself (Florida fan here!) but the overwhelming majority of the state is OSU crazy.

I stopped at a McDonald's to get coffee and I asked the girl what a buckeye was and she said it was a nut but I corrected her and said it was a useless nut. I had my coffee in hand.

Venice, Florida? Ya should have sent me a p.m. to let me know. You were only five miles from my ranch. Sorry I kissed you. :(

That would have been great. I was in town for 36 hours so it was a quick one

That would have been great. I was in town for 36 hours so it was a quick one
Hopefully you went to the Don Garlits Museum when you were in Ocala. If you haven't been there you have to go. Be prepared to spend several hours. I made my nonracing fan buddy go with me a couple years back, he spent the day laughing at me. I was a kid in the candy store.

Hopefully you went to the Don Garlits Museum when you were in Ocala. If you haven't been there you have to go. Be prepared to spend several hours. I made my nonracing fan buddy go with me a couple years back, he spent the day laughing at me. I was a kid in the candy store.

I passed by on I 75 but I will probably go back with a buddy of mine as we would have a good time together doing that.

Back
Top Bottom