Change is coming

I'm all for leaving stuff alone but I am very curious to see this low down force package in action.

I want to see what would happen if they left everything alone for five minutes instead of the constant screwing around.

I wish them sonsabeaches would just leave everything alone for a coupla years. Just a coupla years. JEEEESSHH.

The only thing they really need to change is to eliminate aero-push.

I dont even know if thats possible with the high speeds these cars are capable of, maybe the new rules will help, maybe they will make it worse :idunno:

That's what they are trying to do by making the cars less aero dependent.

I've been hoping for less aero, even though it means slower cars. Less HP means softer tires are possible.

Reducing the horsepower and reducing the downforce seems counter productive. It's been preached before, Get the cars off the ground if we want 80's and 90's racing again..

If drivers can pass easily with low down force and lower horsepower, speed will be the last thing on our minds. Then we will have to find something else to bitch about.
More horsepower is more of a challenge. Everyone at the Michigan test loved the combination of less downforce, softer tires, and no HP change. I'm confused as to why NASCAR would go to a package they haven't even tested.

More horsepower is more of a challenge. Everyone at the Michigan test loved the combination of less downforce, softer tires, and no HP change. I'm confused as to why NASCAR would go to a package they haven't even tested.
Seems like they're just stubborn and want something of their preferred plan in there. Can't make it seem like RTA has any influence at all.

Reducing downforce will become a safety issue . Something like oiling down the track. It'll make the events more exciting , but it will be more like demolition derby and less like racing . Good luck with that , Nascar .

And NASCAR makes yet another stupid decision. I expect this sport to be dead in the next 10 years.

Gibbs paid them off, a Toy motor can't make the HP and be reliable...just sayin' :)

We are at or over the 200 mph speeds on a number of tracks that nascar starts to feel uncomfortable with.
Reducing the spoiler height and HP will slow them down and may result in better racing. If not brain will change it next year.:rolleyes:

I'm with most of you. Glad to see down force reduced but puzzled why NASCAR wants to take away horses. I think @blanston said it best.

And NASCAR makes yet another stupid decision. I expect this sport to be dead in the next 10 years.

Yes, the days are numbered. That's a fear many share. It's been heard often and goes back to the Hemi ban - in 1964.

And when the second place well loved driver is interviewed after the race they will say. If I had a bit more grip I would have been able to pass him. So the year after that...wings

Wouldn't reducing the downforce and HP together just put us back to where we started?

Look at what has been done to the Formula-1 series and its still going, the changes Nascar is talking about are minor compared to that

Still hopin they can incorporate the seventh inning stretch somehow . Us old folks get stiff sittin thru a long race .

You can actually have decent downforce without causing the big air "bubble" coming off the rear of the car - and it's not that hard. Make them front-wheel drive cars, allow more innovation on the front - and remove the spoilers so the air just slides off the back. Nascar will never do this - even though 90% of the cars we all drive now are front-wheel drive cars.

You can actually have decent downforce without causing the big air "bubble" coming off the rear of the car - and it's not that hard. Make them front-wheel drive cars, allow more innovation on the front - and remove the spoilers so the air just slides off the back. Nascar will never do this - even though 90% of the cars we all drive now are front-wheel drive cars.
or

6a00d83451b3c669e2019b024dfed6970b-pi

Wouldn't reducing the downforce and HP together just put us back to where we started?

I guess it would depend on how much of a reduction in horsepower. 125 HP seems like too much. They should definitely test it before just making it a rule.

front wheel drive cars are cheaper to make is the reason why there are so many, not because they are better, they do better in the snow, but they aren't what you want for performance on the street or racing.

I dont even know if thats possible with the high speeds these cars are capable of, maybe the new rules will help, maybe they will make it worse :idunno:

Love it for self-serving purposes. That kid that leads all in NNS victories is a throttle on dude. This is gonna be good. Love it.

I think they need to add a 350 ft table top to every backstretch.

That would force em to get these cars off the ground. Don't touch the horsepower though. ;)

I think they need to add a 350 ft table top to every backstretch.

That would force em to get these cars off the ground. Don't touch the horsepower though. ;)
Its been done...

NASCAR announces 2015 changes for the Sprint Cup Series

At 9 a.m. teams received the new rules and procedures with the “rationale” of enhancing the competition, improving safety, reduce cost, enhance relevance and/or pursuing NASCAR’s green initiative.

Link

Here are some of the highlights:

• Minimum vehicle weight on the cars reduced from 3,300 to 3,250lbs via a 50lb ballast reduction.
  • Minimum right-side weight reduced from 1,620 to 1,595lb
  • Engine power will be reduced to 725 horsepower via tapered spacer - 1.170 inch in diameter (to be confirmed…engines currently put out on average 850 hp, which is not regulated and not expected to be moving forward)
  • Roller valve lifters replace flat valve lifters (optional flat valve lifter engines allowed as backups, just not for qualifying or in the race)
  • Lower rear differential gear ratios to target 9000 rpm
  • Six inch rear spoiler (reduced from eight inches)
  • Thirty-eight inch maximum width splitter extension panel (radiator pan)
  • Optional rain tires, mandatory wipers, defogger and rear flashing rain light at start of event (practice, qualifying and race)
  • Optional electronic cluster (digital dash) providing same vehicle information to driver
  • Optional driver adjustable track bar
  • Front lower control arm pivot minimum and maximum dimensions established
  • Mandatory all belts to seat (ABTS) along with a seven or nine-point seat belt system
  • Deck lid reinforcement
  • Moog mandated ball joint and tie rods
  • Optional remote voltage regulator
  • Optional McLaren steering angle sensor
In addition NASCAR has added non-technical rules:

• Daytona testing in January is cancelled.*
  • Private team testing is banned per NASCAR private race vehicle testing.
  • New unified testing policy inclusive of considerations for rookies and new teams.*
  • Changes to short track and intermediate qualifying format (15 min./break/10 min./break/ 5 min.)
  • Superspeedway qualifying format (5 min. Odd numbered cars/break/ 5 min. Even/break/5 min./break/5 min.)
  • Road course qualifying format (25 min./break/10 min.)
  • Daytona 500 qualifying – single cars runs will be replaced with group superspeedway time trials and the Duels still apply.*
  • NASCAR can mandate tire selection at the start of the race
(*development ongoing)
New officiating:

• Data log and capturing system for pre-race inspections
  • Automated pit road officiating at race events that include Sprint Cup races
  • Revised technical inspection tire inflation pressures
Newly approved parts:

• Revised brake calipers
  • New model 2015 Camry body
  • OEMs to retool rear fascias to integrate separate return flange into fascia
  • Rear Fascia Extension Updated to fit retooled OEM rear fascias

Back