Chase Elliott

• Thread starter Restrictor Plate King!
  • Start date
qvxth.gif

Says it all atm.

Release from HMS.....

CONCORD, N.C. – Chase Elliott, who became the youngest national series champion in NASCAR history last season, will join Hendrick Motorsports as a full-time Sprint Cup driver beginning in 2016. Elliott’s No. 24 Chevrolet SS team will be led by crew chief Alan Gustafson, who has earned 19 wins, 18 pole positions, 98 top-five finishes and 165 top-10s at the elite Cup level.

“Chase brings the kind of intangibles that make him the total package as a driver,” said Hendrick Motorsports owner Rick Hendrick, who announced the news this morning during the team’s season kickoff employee event. “Not only is he a special talent inside the race car, but there’s a natural combination of competitiveness, work ethic and smarts that you rarely see.

Chase’s personality and demeanor make him popular with fans, teammates and sponsors. He’s a great fit for our organization on many levels, and we feel he and Alan will be a successful combination. There’s a lot to be excited about.”

In preparation for 2016, Elliott, 19, will make his Sprint Cup debut later this year as part of a five-race schedule with primary sponsorship from NAPA AUTO PARTS. The Dawsonville, Georgia, native will be paired with veteran crew chief Kenny Francis during the limited campaign.

Driving the No. 25 NAPA AUTO PARTS Chevrolet SS fielded by Hendrick Motorsports, Elliott will be entered in 2015 Cup events March 29 at Martinsville Speedway, April 25 at Richmond International Raceway, May 24 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, July 26 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Sept. 6 at Darlington Raceway.

“Chase has been a fantastic ambassador for NAPA,” said Gaylord Spencer, senior vice president of marketing for NAPA AUTO PARTS, which also is primary sponsor of Elliott’s JR Motorsports team in the NASCAR XFINITY Series. “As he embarks on this important next step in his career, we’re proud to support him across both series in 2015 and look forward to an exciting year on and off the track. The NAPA Family is behind Chase 100 percent.”

At the age of 18 years, 11 months and 18 days, Elliott became the youngest champion in any NASCAR national touring series when he won the 2014 XFINITY Series title. The first racer in NASCAR history to win a championship and rookie of the year honors in the same season, he also was voted by fans as the series’ most popular driver.

Elliott’s 2014 season included three wins, two pole positions and 26 top-10 finishes in 33 races. His first victory (Texas Motor Speedway) came in his sixth career series start and made him the second-youngest winner in XFINITY Series history (behind Joey Logano). He completed 99.6 percent of the 6,063 total laps run and became the first driver since 2010 to clinch the championship before the season finale.

Elliott and father Bill are only the fifth father-son duo to win NASCAR national series championships. They are members of an elite group that includes Lee and Richard Petty, Ned and Dale Jarrett, David and Larry Pearson, and Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bill Elliott, the 1988 Sprint Cup Series champion, will be enshrined into the NASCAR Hall of Fame tomorrow evening.

“So many people have been behind me, and the first thing I want to do is thank them,” said Chase Elliott, who will run the full 2015 XFINITY Series schedule as the defending champion. “My parents especially have believed in me every step of the way, and I know this wouldn’t be possible without all the sacrifices they’ve made to focus on my racing career. This is such a big week for our family.

“I’m also extremely grateful to Mr. Hendrick and my teammates at both Hendrick Motorsports and JR Motorsports for believing in me. NAPA has been a huge supporter, and I’m honored to represent them on and off the track. Of course the fans have been amazing to me, and I’m so appreciative of that. I know how rare this opportunity is and will work as hard as I can to make everyone proud.”

Hendrick Motorsports will announce sponsorship for Elliott’s 2016 Sprint Cup season at a later date.

from here

I hope his No. 24 car looks just like this no.25 car. Flame on!!

Man there is so much young talent to be excited about. Kyle Larson vs Chase Elliott for the next 20 years? Yes please.

It's good to see they're giving him different types of tracks and some of the more prestigious events to get up to speed in.

I'll be rooting for the #42 in 2016 though. :)

Guessing the AARP sponsorship might be moving..

Honestly, let the kid have the ride, but don't tie him to that Number. Would have been cool if he was able to get the 9 or 94, or choose his own. This is the one of few cases where the Driver (Jeff) is bigger than the number/team. Chase driving the 24 wouldn't feel right, just like a Dillion in the 3. The 43 I don't mind so much, because that number is still associated with Petty, and when you think 43 you still think Petty and not Almirola.

Reactions: JEB
Honestly, let the kid have the ride, but don't tie him to that Number. Would have been cool if he was able to get the 9 or 94, or choose his own. This is the one of few cases where the Driver (Jeff) is bigger than the number/team. Chase driving the 24 wouldn't feel right, just like a Dillion in the 3. The 43 I don't mind so much, because that number is still associated with Petty, and when you think 43 you still think Petty and not Almirola.

I am pretty disappointed also. I think it is a big mistake. I was never a Gordon fan but I believe he has earned the right to keep his number for at least 5 years and I think his fans should also have that right.

I wonder if this move isn't an attempt to get the 24 fans to jump on the "Chase" band wagon.
On the other hand, If I had Jackets that just said 24, I wouldn't have to buy any new stuff even if I was to go with Chase.

I think you need to do one of two things - announce that no one will ever run a 24 car again, or put someone in the 24 immediately. It gets muddy when you don't "retire" a number, but don't put that number on the track either. Maybe Jeff is bigger than the number, or the team, but he's not bigger than the sport. And assuming we don't all blow each other up with nukes, the sport will be around for hundreds of years. I say keep the numbers going...

I am pretty disappointed also. I think it is a big mistake. I was never a Gordon fan but I believe he has earned the right to keep his number for at least 5 years and I think his fans should also have that right.

I wonder if this move isn't an attempt to get the 24 fans to jump on the "Chase" band wagon.

Possibly, but I am sure Rick knows Chase doesn't need help building his own fan base. A bunch of dormant Awesome Bill fans came to life last year. It is strange to carry on with the number, as I am sure the care will have different sponsor, other than 3M. So why keep the number associated with the car? You think with Luck took over the Colts he wanted the number 18? Or Rodgers the number 4? The kids needs to make his own path to greatness, not try and hold up Gordon's.

I think you need to do one of two things - announce that no one will ever run a 24 car again, or put someone in the 24 immediately. It gets muddy when you don't "retire" a number, but don't put that number on the track either. Maybe Jeff is bigger than the number, or the team, but he's not bigger than the sport. And assuming we don't all blow each other up with nukes, the sport will be around for hundreds of years. I say keep the numbers going...

True, but with the announcement that Jeff wasn't running full time, but not yet retiring, there could be a chance he could hold onto the number for a few years to let there be a better transition. You also have to look at it like Jr did. Jr had the chance to drive the 3, but said not right now, but possibly down the line as a tribute to his dad. He didn't want that number because he wasn't his dad, he didn't want to be responsible for his dad's legacy, and wanted to set his own path. Same with Gordon, Chase should have to be set into a pressuring situation where he has to fill Jeff's shoes, or live up to the number.

As a lifelong #3 fan. A number's a number. It'll be just fine people.

Oh I get it, and I am not much of a Chase fan anyways. However, every time Chase does something great in the 24, he/we will be reminded about holding up that great 24 legacy. To me I think that sucks for Chase. It should be his legacy he is holding up, not the 24. We'd hear the same thing about the 3, if Dillion ever did anything great. I don't think we will have to worry about that though.

True, but with the announcement that Jeff wasn't running full time, but not yet retiring, there could be a chance he could hold onto the number for a few years to let there be a better transition. You also have to look at it like Jr did. Jr had the chance to drive the 3, but said not right now, but possibly down the line as a tribute to his dad. He didn't want that number because he wasn't his dad, he didn't want to be responsible for his dad's legacy, and wanted to set his own path. Same with Gordon, Chase should have to be set into a pressuring situation where he has to fill Jeff's shoes, or live up to the number.
I think father/son is much different than this. But I get what you're saying about keeping the 24 open until Jeff says he's NEVER running a Cup race again. That makes a lot of sense. As far as being fair or unfair to Chase living up to the expectations, I think that's the kind of conversations talking heads like to have, and message board posters like us like to have...but I don't think Chase feels more or less nervous/excited/anxious/eager for the '16 season because of the number. He's a professional at the highest level - and he's probably already convinced himself that he's better than Jeff. At least I hope he has...all athletes at that level should...

Nice to see. Chase won Speedfest on Sunday so it's been a great week for him.

I'm with Jeffrey on this simply because I don't want to hear about it from the media or all that nonsense.. Now if he drove the 9, people ask about his dad but to drive the 24, even if he's great, "How's it feel to drive Jeff's number?" like ugh..What is he gonna say? Then on the flipside, if Chase does poorly, oh its the number too much pressure.

Dillon driving the 3 became a non issue after a week and it had been out of the sport over 10 years. I just don't want to feel like Chase is in Jeff's shadow. He already feels that from his dad.

I'm with Jeffrey on this simply because I don't want to hear about it from the media or all that nonsense.. Now if he drove the 9, people ask about his dad but to drive the 24, even if he's great, "How's it feel to drive Jeff's number?" like ugh..What is he gonna say? Then on the flipside, if Chase does poorly, oh its the number too much pressure.

Dillon driving the 3 became a non issue after a week and it had been out of the sport over 10 years. I just don't want to feel like Chase is in Jeff's shadow. He already feels that from his dad.
Pardon me but how would you know that? He's one of the most focused, down to earth but laid back drivers that I've ever seen.

There's been several son's following in their Dad's footsteps. Jr wanted 8 which was both his grandfather's and father's number, yes I know Sr did drive other numbers too.
I'm drawing a blank, what other son got his Dad's number?

Maybe the best course of action is to allow a number to remain dormant for 10+ years before being issued again following the passing of a icon????

Well I'm out of hibernation now lol.

This is great news about Chase Elliott, I'm so excited to see how he does in sprint cup. I also just read Richard Petty would let Chase have the #9 for 2016 if HMS wants it, that would be awesome!!

People have replaced the 43, 2, 28, 3, 88, 18, and the world still spins. The 24 will be no different. #24 Jeff Gordon is Jeff's legacy & #24 Chase Elliott will be Chase's legacy.

The driver makes the legacy, not their number.

As far as people saying "will he live up to Jeff Gordon in the 24?"
How many people asked if Stewart would live up to AJ Foyt? Kyle Busch to Jarret or Labonte? Keselowski to Wallace? Dale Jr to his grandfather or Jarret? Rudd to Allison?

Last edited:
Torn on the number use. I'll get over it. I'm stoked AF he's officially driving that car though!

It's good to see they're giving him different types of tracks and some of the more prestigious events to get up to speed in.

I'll be rooting for the #42 in 2016 though. :)

I'll be 43 and 24 primarily. DIS GON BE GUD

This might be worth noting:

On Wednesday, NASCAR Sprint Cup team owner Richard Petty said he’s not “emotionally attached” to number 9, which Marcos Ambrose carried at Richard Petty Motorsports and which Sam Hornish Jr. will carry this year.

“We inherited that number [when Petty bought the remnants of the Ray Evernham/George Gillette team],” Petty said. “It doesn’t mean anything to me, but it does to the sponsors we’d already signed for this year. If the kid wants it next year, though, that’s fine with us.”

“The kid” he refers to is Chase Elliott. His famous father carried number 9 for most of his career, getting 38 of his 44 victories and his championship with it. “Awesome Bill” carried 17 other numbers during his Sprint Cup career, most notably 11 with Junior Johnson, 21 with the Wood brothers and 94 with the team he created and owned late in his career.

Chase Elliott will run five Cup races this year in number 25 for Hendrick Motorsports. Don’t be surprised if that number is 9 when the 2016 season opens in Daytona Beach.

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar-sprint-cup/richard-petty-no-9-chase-elliotts-if-he-wants-it

I think this is great news! I was expecting it, just a question of which year. On the subject of number, I prefer to see the #24 continue, but if Chase has a preference I hope he gets what he wants. However it's usually the owner (or sponsor) that calls the shots on number, and Rick tends to be sentimental on numbers (like #25 coming back for Chase's partial season this year). Since Jeff is a partial owner of HMS (probably about 25% by now) it's probably revenue neutral for him if Chase goes into #24, #9, #25 or something else.

I also hope they stick to the 24. And since they already announced it I believe they will.

It's 24 for sure guys

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...150129_39635787&cmpid=tsmfb:fscom:nascaronfox

"Rick threw that option out to me," Gordon said of not running the No. 24. "He kind of wanted to retire it for maybe a year or something like that. ... For me, seeing it out there is important. I think the fans, while some of them might have a strong opinion thinking it should be retired, when they see how well he (Elliott) does in it, I think they're going to be really glad he's driving that 24 car."

• Richard Petty: #9 is Chase Elliott's if he wants it: On Wednesday, NASCAR Sprint Cup team owner Richard Petty said he's not "emotionally attached" to #9, which Marcos Ambrose carried at Richard Petty Motorsports and which Sam Hornish Jr. will carry this year. "We inherited that number [when Petty bought the remnants of the Ray Evernham/George Gillette team]," Petty said. "It doesn't mean anything to me, but it does to the sponsors we'd already signed for this year. If the kid wants it next year, though, that's fine with us."
    "The kid" he refers to is Chase Elliott. His famous father carried number 9 for most of his career, getting 38 of his 44 victories and his championship with it. "Awesome Bill" carried 17 other numbers during his Sprint Cup career, most notably 11 with Junior Johnson, 21 with the Wood brothers and 94 with the team he created and owned late in his career. Chase Elliott will run five Cup races this year in #25 for Hendrick Motorsports. Don't be surprised if that number is 9 when the 2016 season opens in Daytona Beach.(AutoWeek)(1-29-2015)

Back
Top Bottom