Chase Elliott

• Thread starter Restrictor Plate King!
  • Start date
Has anyone ever started their Cup career in better equipment???????????

HHHHMMMM....

I wonder if that might make just a tiny bit of difference?
I dunno, Hendrick isn't the dominant force this year in terms of equipment.

I believe Denny Hamlins rookie year he won the Bud Shootout, swept Pocono, and finished top 5 in points

Gotta throw Dale Jr's rookie season into the discussion as well. He already had two wins by this point in his rookie season.

Chase will get there. We've seen some great performances out of him already. Seems like the pit crew always screws him in one way or another, though.

No doubt Chase is having a very impressive rookie season. Best ever though? Nope. Not yet anyway.

I don't see him winning this year. He's running a lot like Larson did in 2014. Top 5-10 every week but not race winning cars. He could always steal one though or maybe Hendrick will catch up

Chase will get there. We've seen some great performances out of him already. Seems like the pit crew always screws him in one way or another, though.
They showed a graphic the other night and Chase was either leading, or 2nd in positions gained on pit road at Kansas. Thought that was interesting.

All credit to Alan Gustafson.

Excellent crew chief. :D

They showed a graphic the other night and Chase was either leading, or 2nd in positions gained on pit road at Kansas. Thought that was interesting.
Well good. It seems like they always blow it when he's near the front with a chance to lead/win.

Well good. It seems like they always blow it when he's near the front with a chance to lead/win.
Throughout the sports world, unsupported generalizations such as this are the meat and potatoes of fandom. Others just call 'em... excuses.

I recently saw an analysis compiled by David Smith that measured in laps and out laps, excluding the time actually in the pit box, for all green flag stops so far this year. So it is a measure of the driver's role in gaining or losing ground from pit stops. Chase Elliott ranked 23rd of 40 drivers. Kyle Busch topped the chart, followed by Brad Keselowski.

The data also ranks Elliott below the averages on restarts, both from the preferred lane and from the non-preferred.

(Motorsportsanalytics.com, subscription required.)

Throughout the sports world, unsupported generalizations such as this are the meat and potatoes of fandom. Others just call 'em... excuses.

I recently saw an analysis compiled by David Smith that measured in laps and out laps, excluding the time actually in the pit box, for all green flag stops so far this year. So it is a measure of the driver's role in gaining or losing ground from pit stops. Chase Elliott ranked 23rd of 40 drivers. Kyle Busch topped the chart, followed by Brad Keselowski.

The data also ranks Elliott below the averages on restarts, both from the preferred lane and from the non-preferred.

Woah, thanks Lew! I'll have to take your word for it, unless you wanna buy me a subscription.

It's much more fun to **** talk the crew, so I'll continue to do such ;)

As many times as Brad has been nailed this year for pit road infractions, I'll believe it.

Idk about the restarts though, Chase is usually pretty stout there.

Why dont you screen shoot it and post.

As many times as Brad has been nailed this year for pit road infractions, I'll believe it.

Idk about the restarts though, Chase is usually pretty stout there.
Perhaps you should present your data on Chase's restart stoutness to David Smith, or at least to us here at RF. Smith's methodology is to compare restart position with running position two laps later (one lap for Daytona and Talladega). He computes preferred lane versus other lane separately, and data on all drivers for the entire race defines which lane is the preferred one. His article summarized the data...

When in the preferred groove, Chase held position or gained position 33% of the time; 67% of the time he lost one or more positions. The average for all drivers was 75% held or gained.

When assigned to the non-preferred lane, Chase was 40%/60%. This was better than his preferred lane results, but still below the average of 48% hold or gain from this groove.

Perhaps you should present your data on Chase's restart stoutness to David Smith, or at least to us here at RF. Smith's methodology is to compare restart position with running position two laps later (one lap for Daytona and Talladega). He computes preferred lane versus other lane separately, and data on all drivers for the entire race defines which lane is the preferred one. His article summarized the data...

When in the preferred groove, Chase held position or gained position 33% of the time; 67% of the time he lost one or more positions. The average for all drivers was 75% held or gained.

When assigned to the non-preferred lane, Chase was 40%/60%. This was better than his preferred lane results, but still below the average of 48% hold or gain from this groove.
Lol um ok? Idk that your snarky response was needed there but cool dude.

All I said was "I don't know" because from watching live it just didn't seem legitimate. But I'll be damned, the numbers back it. So let me go crawl back into my hole in shame...:rolleyes:

Lol um ok? Idk that your snarky response was needed there but cool dude.
I was trying to be funny and share data that was interesting and relevant to the discussion. I didn't intend to be snarky, but maybe it was...:oops: So I'm sorry for that tone.

Chase Elliott is the real deal, and is part of a great race team. Early results are impressive, and I'm sure he'll get even better.

Being a race car driver is not about hard statistics and analysis. Hell, even Jimmie, aka one of the best of all time, says he doesn't care about stats. Chase is putting up results, and that's all that matters.

I was trying to be funny and share data that was interesting and relevant to the discussion. I didn't intend to be snarky, but maybe it was...:oops: So I'm sorry for that tone.

Chase Elliott is the real deal, and is part of a great race team. Early results are impressive, and I'm sure he'll get even better.
He will probably get rich early and then become vanilla.

He's already rich, are you kidding me

He comes from the Elliotts and now he himself is a NASCAR Cup driver with success in his rookie campaign.
Don't see him listed as one of the richest top ten drivers. Can't judge a man's wealth just because he has 1000 times mmmmmmore than me. :D:D

3 red flags and 3 backup cars..... Genius question to Jeff Gordon in the booth..... Jeff, what do you think this means about the grip level here today at Dover? o_O

Chase is slated to run the K&N West race at Sonoma next weekend in an effort to get more track time due to his limited road course experience. Smart move.

Well congrats to him on the win lol. That's like the unofficial tradition now for rookies to run that race and dominate. Hopefully Blaney and buescher run and it might be a good show

Chase is slated to run the K&N West race at Sonoma next weekend in an effort to get more track time due to his limited road course experience. Smart move.
Good news for my bold prediction

I'm not among the crowd that complains when Cup drivers drop down a level to compete in Xfinity races. Even Truck Series teams occasionally need to schedule a Cup driver to satisfy a sponsor demand (but thankfully this is getting more rare). K&N... is a stretch IMO.

I'm not among the crowd that complains when Cup drivers drop down a level to compete in Xfinity races. Even Truck Series teams occasionally need to schedule a Cup driver to satisfy a sponsor demand (but thankfully this is getting more rare). K&N... is a stretch IMO.
Chase has never ran at Sonoma, I don't think. Young drivers don't visit this place until they reach Cup, that's why guys like Larson, Austin Dillon, Stenhouse, Bayne have run in this race the last two years. Dillon has actually run it two years in a row. One-off appearances like this are more purposeful and tolerable than a lot of the Cup driver appearances in the Xfinity Series...in my opinion.

^ I hear what you are saying, FL. But if it is the desires and motivations of the Cup driver that we are to consider, then it seems to me that a wide range of desires and motivations are OK by me... the joy of racing twice a week rather than once; earning extra money; satisfying a sponsor; what can be learned from extra seat time especially on the same tires; and more. OTOH, if we are concerned with protecting the development drivers from unfair competition, as is argued frequently here and throughout social media, then we have different criteria. (And for the record, I have never argued Xfinity races should be "protected" from Cup drivers.)

Back
Top Bottom