CHASE talk goes here ----

I wouldn't go so far as to say this year's chase was a failure, but I wouldn't exactly call it a smashing success either. I think it did gain some momentum very late in the season, but as a whole it didn't really move the needle much as far as bringing new fans to the sport, which was really why this format was put into place.

that is yours and others opinion that it was supposed to be the end all cure all for ratings. But in post #355 it was explained what the 2014 chase was designed to do:

“We have arrived at a format that makes every race matter even more, diminishes points racing, puts a premium on winning races and concludes with a best-of-the-best, first-to-the-finish line showdown race – all of which is exactly what fans want,”

Of course in this thread, opinions differ, and weekly up and down ratings are used to point out how it is failing..but, it did what it set out to do with many of us and that was to make the racing even more exciting.

The Chase was implemented because revenue and overall interest in the sport were on the decline. IMO, The Chase has not increased ratings, attendance or popularity in the sport since it's inception in 2004. Numbers don't lie.

I don't quite agree that the chase is ruining the sport but I do feel that NASCAR is catering 100% to the casual fan and trying to attract new fans but in return it's actually driving some fans away. I don't see this format attracting many hardcore racing fans. I'm a die hard race fan so I'll watch any kind of racing regardless of a format.

Exactly. Try explaining the 2014 Chase to a Formula 1 fan who already thinks Nascar is retarded...

How come income is up? and a 8 billion dollar ten year deal? with two networks? am I missing something here? :biggrin: I agree with the sport doing what they call plateauing. But there is still such a strong market, many weekends it was the top rated sports program televised.
The new TV deal is great for the sport for yrs to come. I think Nascar will find a better home in NBC than it did with ESPN and TNT... but why did they want out? I don't think it is plateauing I think it is returning to its equilibrium. All the tracks that added seats during the peak are now taking them down or tarping them off.

We don't have the luxury of knowing what would have been had the chase not been implemented - maybe better, maybe worse from a ratings standpoint. I hope this new chase sends the trend upward again, but it has to be left alone first.

Brian wants you to believe that NASCAR isn't broken and that he isn't losing his fanbase.

fan base is worth over 8 billion dollars over the next 10 years to paying customers. If that is broken? Man I would love to have some of that broken.:D

The was the network's money not the fan's money. Attendance and ratings are down.

Down compared to what? Income is up...Last time I looked, businesses ran on capital, not crepe hangers. :D
According to International Speedway’s statement issued Thursday, the company’s TV revenue in 2015 will increase by 3.8 percent over 2014, to $316 million

Dude, do you know the difference between ratings/attendance and TV revenue?

yep sure do. Over 8 billion over ten years is paid for the TV rights to broadcast the races (ten years) that is the engine driving the sport. You have ten more years to hang crepe. :D

I'm not saying that The Chase is the entire reason in the decline of attendance at racetracks but you'd have to consider that it is a factor in viewership ratings. The economy isn't supportive of fans spending $1,000-$1,500 to travel to a racetrack for a weekend but it doesn't cost anything to sit down in front of the tv on the weekend and viewership continues to decline.
I'm not saying the Chase is the reason but, IMO, it certainly isn't the answer.

viewership is not declining..revenues are up.

According to International Speedway’s statement issued Thursday, the company’s TV revenue in 2015 will increase by 3.8 percent over 2014, to $316 million

viewership is not declining..revenues are up.

I thought you said you knew the difference between revenues and viewership?

I thought you said you knew the difference between revenues and viewership?

Would you pay your worker's salary for 10 years in advance? :D Yeah I know the difference..for sure. They have already been paid (ten years) for a product that steadily averages out to good viewing ratings. You have ten more years to complain about weekly ratings..it doesn't mater. Oh yeah forgot, and boo hoo about the chase, the numbers are up, there have been crowd sellouts at the tracks, and the best racing in years.

2013 Chase: avg 2.8 rating/4.5M viewers
2014 Chase: avg 2.7 rating/4.4M viewers

:idunno:

averaging 4.5 million viewers a shot..most TV shows would kill for those numbers :idunno::idunno:o_O

NASCAR Sprint Cup, had a rise in viewership for the second straight year, leading to an increase in overall viewership during the 10 races of the Chase

averaging 4.5 million viewers a shot..most TV shows would kill for those numbers :idunno::idunno:o_O

NASCAR Sprint Cup, had a rise in viewership for the second straight year, leading to an increase in overall viewership during the 10 races of the Chase
o_O

A strong finish was not enough to overcome a weak start for the Chase For the Cup.

The 2014 NASCAR Chase For the Cup averaged a 2.7 rating and 4.4 million viewers on ESPN, down a tick in ratings and 2% in viewership from last year (2.8, 4.5M), but flat and up 5%, respectively, from 2012 (2.7, 4.2M). Last year’s average does not include the Chicago race, which was delayed twice and concluded on ESPN2. With that race included, this year’s average is flat and up 3%, respectively.

The 2.7 rating is tied as the lowest ever for the Chase For the Cup, matching 2010 and 2012. The five years in which the Chase aired primarily on cable rank as the five lowest rated since the playoff system began in 2004.

This year’s Chase was hamstrung by a stretch of five straight declines that began with Dover and ended at Martinsville. Among those five, Dover and Kansas tied the third-lowest Chase rating ever, and Kansas and Talladega each hit at least ten year lows.

A strong finish, which included multi-year highs for the final three races, was not enough to overcome that start.

And since I know how much you like charts and graphs and whatnot:

chasecupchart.gif

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...-tv-ratings-2014-ties-lowest-rating-espn-abc/

Saying the ratings didn't decrease is kind of like saying Jeff Gordon is the real champion: no matter how much you say it, no matter how much you want to believe it, it doesn't make it any more true.

the facts and figures don't matter to some. Denial is their cry.:D

This is from Jayski.
NASCAR Sprint Cup, had a rise in viewership for the second straight year, leading to an increase in overall viewership during the 10 races of the Chase.
The 10 races in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup averaged 4,408,000 viewers, up from 4,283,000 for last year's Chase.

Saying the ratings didn't decrease is kind of like saying Jeff Gordon is the real champion: no matter how much you say it, no matter how much you want to believe it, it doesn't make it any more true.
Sorry make believe gordon fans, Logano would have won the "real" championship...but that is another fantasy thread

Doesn't matter how many charts and graphs and boo hoo's you can find. Revenue is up, 10 more years have been paid, so all that is left is the cryin I guess.:idunno: Just doin my part every once in a while to come in and do a reality check. Proceed with the crepe hanging, I'm done..back to the pity party.:D

This is from Jayski.
NASCAR Sprint Cup, had a rise in viewership for the second straight year, leading to an increase in overall viewership during the 10 races of the Chase.
The 10 races in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup averaged 4,408,000 viewers, up from 4,283,000 for last year's Chase.
And that is misleading because it includes the 2013 Chicagoland race which aired mostly after 10 PM Eastern on ESPN2...including only nondelayed events, 2013 was higher.

o_O

A strong finish was not enough to overcome a weak start for the Chase For the Cup.

The 2014 NASCAR Chase For the Cup averaged a 2.7 rating and 4.4 million viewers on ESPN, down a tick in ratings and 2% in viewership from last year (2.8, 4.5M), but flat and up 5%, respectively, from 2012 (2.7, 4.2M). Last year’s average does not include the Chicago race, which was delayed twice and concluded on ESPN2. With that race included, this year’s average is flat and up 3%, respectively.

The 2.7 rating is tied as the lowest ever for the Chase For the Cup, matching 2010 and 2012. The five years in which the Chase aired primarily on cable rank as the five lowest rated since the playoff system began in 2004.

This year’s Chase was hamstrung by a stretch of five straight declines that began with Dover and ended at Martinsville. Among those five, Dover and Kansas tied the third-lowest Chase rating ever, and Kansas and Talladega each hit at least ten year lows.

A strong finish, which included multi-year highs for the final three races, was not enough to overcome that start.

And since I know how much you like charts and graphs and whatnot:

chasecupchart.gif

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...-tv-ratings-2014-ties-lowest-rating-espn-abc/

You guys are just gonna hafta humor him like I've been doing all morning.
He gets the goosebumpy piss-shivers when he imagines himself as the head R-F troll.
It's good for his psyche.

This is from Jayski.
The numbers I posted are from Jayski too. That 4,283,000 number was the 2012 average, not 2013. So the '14 chase was up from '12, but down from '13.

All these numbers don't mean a thing --- anyone can spin them to their advantage and prove their point.
NASCAR prefers to spin one way, media prefers another.

Remember what Mark Twain said---
"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Don't beat your head against numbers that can be twisted into whatever you want to see.

Personally I don't think its fair to look at long time trends in TV ratings and expecting rises, as time has gone on, their has been a general decreasing trend in TV ratings for almost all programs, mostly due to increased saturation. I feel the same way about race attendance, as its impossible to compare long term trends in race attendance because it doesn't tell the true story. Sure attendance was at its peak in the early-mid 2000's but you must look deeper than that, sure TV ratings reached the max in 2005 but there is more too it than that.

In my opinion the golden age of sports attendance is behind us, why? TV is just too good, and the average person and younger generations dont see the value in live events. If you look at all sports, or major sports I should say, NFL, College Football, NBA, Golf, Baseball, College Basketball, Racing, Hockey, etc... just about every one reached its peak in the mid 2000's, with the possible exception of the NFL. Why is that? Well, increased ticket prices, and competition from the home experience which has gotten incredibly more accessible and has had a dramatic increase in quality in the past 10 years. Think about it, in 2005, barely anyone had a HD TV, barely anything was even broadcast in HD other than major sporting events and TV shows. Now, just look at 2010, almost everyone has an HD TV, or at least a majority, TV prices are very low, much more accessible HD programming etc.. Now, nearing 2015, non HD TV's simply dont exist on store shelves, 4k is now a thing, people are willing to spend more money than ever on Tech... Some may ask, if I have this nice TV, why would I fork over a few hundred dollars and a large amount of my time to see a live sporting event? This is all pretty common knowledge, but you have to consider it, and I really dont think Nascar is doing so. They keep trying to increase ratings and attendance when its simply impossible, and will continue to become more difficult. Essentially they are trying to find an answer to a unsolvable problem that never really existed.

Here's a spreadsheet I'm working on that regards TV ratings, draw your own conclusions. I'm still working on Baseball and College sports statistics, they will probably be added eventually.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G55vVeaKcvSLi2WUZVf5HKBDWjEWIoE43nPEW59YRhY/edit?usp=sharing

My personal ratings system is as high as ever. I had a great year watching Cup. Championships have never mattered to me. I like a great race!

....and thanks to my buddy @BobbyFord I got to see the Vegas race! It has been a great year.
You damn well better bring some Muzza's Meat Pies next time you come over for a race. :D

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Jimmie Johnson believes NASCAR's new championship format produced the correct champion and a Ryan Newman victory would have been "tough to swallow for the sport."

Johnson began the season as the six-time and defending champion, but he was eliminated from title contention in the revamped Chase for the Sprint Cup format. A 16-driver field was whittled down to four for Sunday's finale, whereKevin Harvick beat Newman, Denny Hamlin and Joey Logano to claim his first title.

"I feel like Kevin winning was the right thing when you look at the winners and the dominant cars throughout the year," Johnson said Thursday.

Harvick had to win the race to wrap up the title, and found himself in a late shootout with Newman for the victory. Newman, in his first season for Richard Childress Racing, advanced to the finale through consistency after a winless season.

The Chase format this year was touted by NASCAR chairman Brian France as one that would put an emphasis on winning, and Harvick won three Chase races, including the final two. But, he nearly lost the title to Newman, who finished second in the finale. The highest-finishing driver Sunday at Homestead-Miami Speedway was guaranteed the title.

"Ryan had every right in the world to be the champion, the rules were laid out that way," said Johnson, who was eliminated after the second round, or the sixth of 10 races. "But if (Newman) wins the championship, I think that would have been tough to swallow for the sport. It's not taking anything away from Childress or Ryan, they had an awesome year and collected a ton of points. There's some danger for the sport with this format."

Johnson said he discussed the new format with France at the start of the season. He believed, based on performance during the regular season, the finale should have been between Harvick, Team Penske drivers Logano and Brad Keselowski, and Jeff Gordon, his Hendrick Motorsports teammate. Those four drivers combined for 12 wins in the first 26 races, and eight wins in the 10 Chase races.

But Gordon and Keselowski were both eliminated after the third round, and Gordon last week called on NASCAR to set a separate points system for the Chase drivers. Gordon felt it was unfair for the Chase drivers to be scored against the entire 43-car field, and they should only be scored against the Chase drivers.

Still, drivers have praised the new elimination system, with Newman saying "the intensity of the sport has gone through the roof," because of the Chase. The high stakes produced drama on and off the track, including a pair of brawls in in the final seven races.

"The system is fine. It's exciting. Every race is exciting," Hamlin said. "There's not been one boring race. This is the best thing that's happened to this sport in a really long time."

But Johnson said attendance and television ratings are the true measure. Although attendance was improved at many tracks this season, TV ratings were flat. The 10-race Chase drew an average of 4.41 million viewers for ESPN/ABC, and a 2.7 rating. Last season drew an average of 4.5 million viewers and a 2.8 rating.

"We need to do something to drive the viewership up," said Johnson, who supports heat races capped by a final A main-style race slotted into a television window.

"Maybe we qualify on Saturday and that's televised, and then run some heat races and a feature on Sunday, in a four-hour time window," he said. "It sticks to our roots, sticks with what we've always had and done, gives some natural pauses for the show for the social element at the track. I think that would be a pretty entertaining format."

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...kevin-harvick-was-correct-championship-winner

Back
Top Bottom