FIRST TIME GOING TO RACE (DOVER) :D

DSquad48

Team Owner
HI BUDDIES!

So I finally took the plunge and bought tickets to my first race. I chose Dover, 1. because it's close-ish to where I live, and 2. it'll give me the best chance to see JJ win in-person ;)

I got a hotel about an hour from the track so that it'll be (hopefully) easier to beat the traffic on the way in. I live about 5 hours from the track and leaving at like 4 AM would be lame.

Anybody else planning on going to the June Dover race? For people who have been to Dover, do you have any Dover-specific recommendations? Or just general must-know-for-your-first-NASCAR-race things? I plan on getting a scanner and bringing lots of beer :) What else do I need?

Thanks!!

I havent been, but let us know about the experience. My dad, sister and I had planned on going last year but we instead wanted to take a vacation without any specific plans. Its always been a track that I have wanted to check out but its a 24 hour drive from Kansas.

This will be my 17th cup race at Dover, where are you sitting?

I will probably be there all 3 days or at worst just Sunday.
The only I can really think that is Dover-specific is that it is not that bad leaving the track these days.

I always stayed at the track or south of the track on 13, (camping). Not sure where you are staying but if you are heading north to the track from the Ocean City/Beach area, look for the Blu-Hen Corporate Center. You can park there and catch a shuttle to/from the track. It alleviates a lot of the traffic woes as the shuttle has it's own private exit off of the toll road just behind the track.

I always stayed at the track or south of the track on 13, (camping). Not sure where you are staying but if you are heading north to the track from the Ocean City/Beach area, look for the Blu-Hen Corporate Center. You can park there and catch a shuttle to/from the track. It alleviates a lot of the traffic woes as the shuttle has it's own private exit off of the toll road just behind the track.
I did see that on the track's page. Glad to hear that it does help with the traffic. I may do that!

Turn 4, sec 114, row 20
Awesome location. Our seats would have been just to your left in 115. We sat there for years but eventually gave up our season tickets. Mile the Monster, if we're allowed to still call him that, will be just over your shoulder.

Awesome location. Our seats would have been just to your left in 115. We sat there for years but eventually gave up our season tickets. Mile the Monster, if we're allowed to still call him that, will be just over your shoulder.
Awesome! Yeah, I did some research online and it seems like a lot of people were pleased with that area of the track. I'm very excited :punkrocke

I did see that on the track's page. Glad to hear that it does help with the traffic. I may do that!
The only drawback is that it is not free to park there but you cannot beat the ingress/egress if you are coming in from the south. The shuttle bus will drop you off right next to where you said you are seated. It's drop off/pick up location is just across the road from Miles the Monster.

Awesome! Yeah, I did some research online and it seems like a lot of people were pleased with that area of the track. I'm very excited :punkrocke
We went there back in the old asphalt days up until a handful of years ago. Probably the last ten or so years we went there, that was our seat location. I liked that vantage point.

The only drawback is that it is not free to park there but you cannot beat the ingress/egress if you are coming in from the south. The shuttle bus will drop you off right next to where you said you are seated. It's drop off/pick up location is just across the road from Miles the Monster.
Unfortunately, I will be coming from the North. Do you think it's still worth it just to alleviate the issue of traffic getting out of the lot after the race?

Another tip..... Unless it's changed recently, there's no sales tax in Delaware. Great place to purchase big ticket items.

Turn 4, sec 114, row 20
Ah nice I think ours are 134 right by pit road entrance. Honestly the last 5 to 7 years traffic hasn't been an issue at all. But then again we get there at like 7 am to tailgate. Turn 4 is good too because it's right by the merchandise tents

Unfortunately, I will be coming from the North. Do you think it's still worth it just to alleviate the issue of traffic getting out of the lot after the race?
I think there is a shuttle from the Christiana Mall, if I recall there has been in the past

While I've never taken advantage of the north route, those same shuttles shuttle you in from some mall that is well north of the speedway. You'd have to look at their site to get the name.

Another option if you want to park just outside of the speedway is the mall that is just next to the speedway on the north side. We parked there a couple times. It is also on 13. Pulling out of there and heading north would probably work well.

I think there is a shuttle from the Christiana Mall, if I recall there has been in the past
Yeah, saw that too. Might look into that as well as my hotel is only 5 minutes away from there. It says its only available on a first-come, first-serve basis though, which may lead to some complications.

Ah nice I think ours are 134 right by pit road entrance. Honestly the last 5 to 7 years traffic hasn't been an issue at all. But then again we get there at like 7 am to tailgate. Turn 4 is good too because it's right by the merchandise tents
What's the traffic like getting out? Like normal congestion or like hours of standstill mess?

What's the traffic like getting out? Like normal congestion or like hours of standstill mess?
Normal congestion what backs things up sometimes is the haulers leaving the track at the sametime, we usually take 13 to head back north it seems to back up less then 1 does.

Normal congestion what backs things up sometimes is the haulers leaving the track at the sametime, we usually take 13 to head back north it seems to back up less then 1 does.
Yeah, I saw somebody on Reddit recommended taking 13 for about half an hour and then getting on 1 and that helps beat the traffic.

Yeah, I saw somebody on Reddit recommended taking 13 for about half an hour and then getting on 1 and that helps beat the traffic.
Yeah honestly you can take it all the way up to New Castle and be good, just watch the speed through Middletown lots of cops.

Unfortunately, I will be coming from the North.
Coming from the North, traffic is terrible because of a toll booth right off the exit you take from route 1. Plan a different route if this is the one you plan on taking.

Coming from the North, traffic is terrible because of a toll booth right off the exit you take from route 1. Plan a different route if this is the one you plan on taking.
Dang. I plan on getting to the track around 8:30-9:00 so hopefully it wont be too bad around then.

Dang. I plan on getting to the track around 8:30-9:00 so hopefully it wont be too bad around then.
I normally arrive around 10 so it should be better around 8:30. I drive all the way from Central NY the morning of the race so getting there that early isn't an option.

I normally arrive around 10 so it should be better around 8:30. I drive all the way from Central NY the morning of the race so getting there that early isn't an option.

Nice. I live in syracuse and figured the same i opted for a hotel for Saturday night so the drive in is easier.

Dover was my first race too, fall of '91 I believe. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then, but what has not changed are the sights, sounds, and smells of top end NASCAR competition. Enjoy it, take a lot of pics, report back, DVR it and memorize it. You only go to your first race once.

Dover was my first race too, fall of '91 I believe. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then, but what has not changed are the sights, sounds, and smells of top end NASCAR competition. Enjoy it, take a lot of pics, report back, DVR it and memorize it. You only go to your first race once.
Fall of 1991 at Dover, I remember that race. Wasn't there but I remember the old man wearing them out. I was at Martinsville the next week to see him complete the sweep, and I was there at North Wilksboro the next week too see it end.

As far as tips for going, I never been to Dover, but I'd suggest getting there as early as possible and just take it all in. There is nothing like it.

Thanks, Bob! You've reminded me to enjoy the experience and not stress about the traffic and whatnot.

Reactions: Bob
Fall of 1991 at Dover, I remember that race. Wasn't there but I remember the old man wearing them out. I was at Martinsville the next week to see him complete the sweep, and I was there at North Wilksboro the next week too see it end.

As far as tips for going, I never been to Dover, but I'd suggest getting there as early as possible and just take it all in. There is nothing like it.

The Old Man indeed wore them out. Handsome Harry. I was very fortunate to see the King run there as well that day.

Harry was a one of a kind...... I was pulling so hard for him that next weekend at North Wilkeboro to make it 5 in a row..... and he had the best car by far....... DAMNED BRAKES..... Sr. ..... GRRRRRRR.

Dover's a great fan experience. The races there are either really really excellent or a horrible bore -- there's no in between. But it's probably the most fan friendly track I've ever been to. And being in the middle of the city, there are places to eat literally within a short walk of the track.

If the new race format turns out okay Dover is one of the races we'll attend this year. Our first route will be over 7,000 miles, about 5 weeks and 4 race weeks. We'll see how we like the new rules.

If the new race format turns out okay Dover is one of the races we'll attend this year. Our first route will be over 7,000 miles, about 5 weeks and 4 race weeks. We'll see how we like the new rules.
I think I've told you before but if you not going to stay at the track campground, check out the NASCAR camping @ Harrington, DE. The Delaware State Fairgrounds offers inexpensive camping and even a shuttle to/from the race. That's where we stay when we go to the race.

We still stay there ever year when we go on our vacation to Assateague Island. It's kind of a staging are for us, only an hour from our eventual destination.

I think I've told you before but if you not going to stay at the track campground, check out the NASCAR camping @ Harrington, DE. The Delaware State Fairgrounds offers inexpensive camping and even a shuttle to/from the race. That's where we stay when we go to the race.

We still stay there ever year when we go on our vacation to Assateague Island. It's kind of a staging are for us, only an hour from our eventual destination.
Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom