Commercial Breaks

D

DE_Wrangler_2

We have this gripe several times every year. FOX (or NBC) always miss the good stuff during the race. Or there are what seems like hours of commercials run near the end of the race. Or even we get extra long cautions for no apparent reason. This may help explain some of it. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask The Producer: This week's question comes from a fan named Kim Cabral:

"Why doesn't FOX come back from a commercial immediately when a caution comes out, and why are they in commercial almost half of the time when a restart happens? This is getting to be something that happens numerous times during every race. It is very frustrating."

NASCAR on FOX producer Neil Goldberg explains:

"Thanks for the support, Kim. If you look back at our history you will find that we do make it back for most re-starts but you are correct that at times they are missed.

"When we get to a short track like Bristol it becomes far more tricky. We have to start working on some trade offs and luck with timing. A caution lap at Bristol takes about :30 seconds and our commercials run approx 2:50.

"When a caution comes out we try to show at least on replay of the reason before the break before going to commercial with the intent of making it back for the pit stops. At times we stay right through for the caution round of stops and then go to break. The key is how long it takes to clean up the caution.

"It is a roll of the dice at times at the short track. and even at track like Texas. But the issue here is to stay ahead on the breaks to put the viewer in a position to get a long commercial-free run at the end of the race. We do not want to miss the action like we saw down the stretch run at Bristol and Texas.

"We do at times come back from break early to catch the re-start or the round of pit stops. But what you must realize, when we do that, that commercial must be moved to the next spot making that break longer. The longer the break the greater the chance something will happen while we are in it.

"As far as busting out of breaks for cautions, we save that for the event of a major incident on the track. Again, if we came out of break every time there was a caution, that break would have to be added on later.

"You also need to realize that we can not bust out of local or affiliate breaks. These are commercials that are run by the local affiliate from the station in you area. They actually have total control of that commercial window. They join back up with us once their designated commercial window is up. Like I said, it is give and take.

"We have to make the best decision for commercials as the race develops in order to put the viewer in position to see the most crucial parts of the race.

"I hope this clears it up for you. Thanks for watching and being a great fan."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the full article here.

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Apr 15 2004, 08:44 PM
We have this gripe several times every year. FOX (or NBC) always miss the good stuff during the race. Or there are what seems like hours of commercials run near the end of the race. Or even we get extra long cautions for no apparent reason. This may help explain some of it. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask The Producer: This week's question comes from a fan named Kim Cabral:

"Why doesn't FOX come back from a commercial immediately when a caution comes out, and why are they in commercial almost half of the time when a restart happens? This is getting to be something that happens numerous times during every race. It is very frustrating."

NASCAR on FOX producer Neil Goldberg explains:

"Thanks for the support, Kim. If you look back at our history you will find that we do make it back for most re-starts but you are correct that at times they are missed.

"When we get to a short track like Bristol it becomes far more tricky. We have to start working on some trade offs and luck with timing. A caution lap at Bristol takes about :30 seconds and our commercials run approx 2:50.

"When a caution comes out we try to show at least on replay of the reason before the break before going to commercial with the intent of making it back for the pit stops. At times we stay right through for the caution round of stops and then go to break. The key is how long it takes to clean up the caution.

"It is a roll of the dice at times at the short track. and even at track like Texas. But the issue here is to stay ahead on the breaks to put the viewer in a position to get a long commercial-free run at the end of the race. We do not want to miss the action like we saw down the stretch run at Bristol and Texas.

"We do at times come back from break early to catch the re-start or the round of pit stops. But what you must realize, when we do that, that commercial must be moved to the next spot making that break longer. The longer the break the greater the chance something will happen while we are in it.

"As far as busting out of breaks for cautions, we save that for the event of a major incident on the track. Again, if we came out of break every time there was a caution, that break would have to be added on later.

"You also need to realize that we can not bust out of local or affiliate breaks. These are commercials that are run by the local affiliate from the station in you area. They actually have total control of that commercial window. They join back up with us once their designated commercial window is up. Like I said, it is give and take.

"We have to make the best decision for commercials as the race develops in order to put the viewer in position to see the most crucial parts of the race.

"I hope this clears it up for you. Thanks for watching and being a great fan."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the full article here.
Nascar, TV, Cable, et al are businesses trying to make money, and often, as fans, we get very frustrated and lose site of that fact.
Just my 2 cents even tho I hate it when it happens.

It comes with the territory. Racing is the only sport I know of with no timeouts or otherwise designated periods of planned inactivity. It's bound to be the case that sometimes a commercial is on when something happens. MRN has the same dillema, and always has and always will.

Racing doesn't have quarters, innings, timeouts, 3 minute delays while somebody lines up a four foot putt, sets, or anything like that. To miss something sometimes is expected. At least there's replay. The best solution I've found is to watch on TV and listen on the radio. Rarely if ever are both in commercial at the same time. Plus you don't have to suffer Jaws' incessant blithering that way.

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Apr 15 2004, 06:11 PM
Plus you don't have to suffer Jaws' incessant blithering that way.
That, alone, is enough justification for listening to MRN.............but these stinking mountains where we live don't allow that!! :(

Originally posted by de7xwcc@Apr 16 2004, 07:48 AM
feel lucky you live in the moutians, not everyone gets that privilege !
OK, that's 2 for 2 we agree on. Something must be in the water. :D

That sounded like a reasonable explanation. At least he didn't try to avoid the question. EMP, I totally agree.

Now, let's hope we see some good green flag racing at Martinsville this weekend like we did last year between the 18, 24, 8 and 20.

I wonder how good the buy rate is for the In-Car PPV? It is not anything I would be interested in, even if it were free. But, if they were to offer me commercial free racing PPV and the price were reasonable I might have to buy that. Say price it along the lines of the NFL or NBA.

As it is I Tivo the race and start watching about an hour and a half into it. That way I can fast forward the commercials and usually end up at the checkers when they do. Rain delays do play havoc tho.

Well it is a good explaination.. its jsut funny how this year Fox seems to be missing more then they did last year.. but then again i remember people complaining about NBC, maybe every year they switch thier good and bad coverage.. dont ask me why, i just like coming up with random theories..

Back
Top Bottom