Could Jimmie have just missed the shift?

Could he? Sure.

Did he? Likely not.

Saving face? This is the guy who admitted he didn't have his steering wheel mounted properly earlier this year.
After he lied to the watching world in the interview right after and said he didn't know what it was and that they'd have to look at the data. All because he wanted to "tell the team first".

As soon as I heard that, my first thought was - he was embarrassed. So I wouldn't put it past him to try and save face.

A43110-30-14-C.jpg

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/racing-transmissions-drivetrain/a431-transmission

I've seen missing a shift on a restart before but never did it cause a 18 car red flag wreck.

Part failure? Maybe.
Missed the shift? Maybe

If you're one of his fan bois it was part failure
If you're not one of his fans he screwed up.
We'll never really know,

I would wonder about a broken shifter since he wasn't able to recover and the Hendrick cars had issues with that problem last season.

Of course, I say this as someone that didn't see the race or any interviews after the incident. Pure guesswork.

I only question it because they did get the car back out there and it was only body damage and the like that they repaired. His spotter, Earl Barban, was just on Sirius NASCAR Radio. He said that they didn't find anything wrong with it but they are still looking at it.

Does sound a little suspicious if they couldn't find anything.

I only question it because they did get the car back out there and it was only body damage and the like that they repaired. His spotter, Earl Barban, was just on Sirius NASCAR Radio. He said that they didn't find anything wrong with it but they are still looking at it.
He missed a shift ;)

That is a huge statement. I would think people that qualified would be able to find something faulty in the shifter and since they didn't I am leaning towards that Jimmie missed a gear.

It's possible to have the linkage jam.

Anyone who has driven a 67 Bel Air with a 3 on the tree can testify to that. I have had shifting mechanisms do strange things on motorcycles momentarily over the years only to continue working well. I know I am not prepared to call JJ a liar as there is no evidence of it and he seems like a straightforward person.

AT WHAT POINT DID YOU REALIZE SOMETHING WAS WRONG?
Johnson: "As soon as I went from second and tried to go to third, I kind of got up into the neutral gate of the transmission and didn't even go to third. It stopped before it ever went to third. And then I tried fourth and third and fourth and eventually I got hit from behind. There was a long pause there where I was trying to, I thought maybe I missed a shift; but it wouldn't go in gear.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20160516a

After he lied to the watching world in the interview right after and said he didn't know what it was and that they'd have to look at the data. All because he wanted to "tell the team first".

As soon as I heard that, my first thought was - he was embarrassed. So I wouldn't put it past him to try and save face.

Seemed legit to me....I'm sure he was embarrassed as hell trashing that car in qualifying. A car if I remember correctly was performing really well in practice. I think it very admirable he wanted to tell his team, face to face, how he destroyed a car they worked their asses off to give him instead of them hearing it over the PA system. Professional...

Seemed legit to me....I'm sure he was embarrassed as hell trashing that car in qualifying. A car if I remember correctly was performing really well in practice. I think it very admirable he wanted to tell his team, face to face, how he destroyed a car they worked their asses off to give him instead of them hearing it over the PA system. Professional...
I mean...the same team built that car yesterday and worked just as hard to get him to the front, so I guess you could argue he took the same approach with this incident.

It's water under the bridge honestly. Imperfect humans operating imperfect machinery. Things are bound to happen regardless of fault.

Back
Top Bottom