Cup RACE thread --- Chicago

I don't have a problem with the whole cancer thing. But NBC and FOX can stop acting like Baney Visser's team is some "small team based in Denver, CO". They aren't. He's put a lot of money behind them, had Kurt Busch make the Chase in 2013 where he should have won a race that year, the Truex & Todd Berrier combination was out to lunch in 2014.

What you guys are describing is precisely why when I watch a race I begin at the green flag and end at the checkers as what is being described about Truex and company is nauseating to me.

Cst7QaiUIAAu1fc.jpg:large

My headline would be: Truex receives unearned lap back and wins the race even though car was out of tolerance.

As an esteemed member told me last week it isn't very often when a car that is a lap down and gets lap back through the free pass or the wave around goes on to win or enhances their finishing position or something of that nature.

But NBC and FOX can stop acting like Baney Visser's team is some "small team based in Denver, CO".

I agree with this 100%. When they signed with Toyota, they effectively became a JGR team which is fine by me. However, the way the Denver area has embraced this team is a pretty cool angle to the whole story.

I agree with this 100%. When they signed with Toyota, they effectively became a JGR team which is fine by me. However, the way the Denver area has embraced this team is a pretty cool angle to the whole story.

They had plenty of money and backing & support with RCR as well. The Denver story is cool though.

I don't have a problem with the whole cancer thing. But NBC and FOX can stop acting like Baney Visser's team is some "small team based in Denver, CO". They aren't. He's put a lot of money behind them, had Kurt Busch make the Chase in 2013 where he should have won a race that year, the Truex & Todd Berrier combination was out to lunch in 2014.
A 1 car team is half the size of a 2 car team and amazingly ... one quarter the size of a 4 car team.

Reflections on a day at the race . . .

Went to the Chicagoland Cup race yesterday, something like the seventh or eighth race that I've been to at that venue since it opened 15 years ago.

Went with my two adult sons (one a hardcore NASCAR fan, the other not so much) and a co-worker who's followed racing, local and otherwise, for the better part of 30 years.

Sitting on the aisle, I couldn't help but notice that, damn, there were a lot of old folks (older than me even) making their way up and down the grandstand steps. I go to a fair number of MLB games on the south side of Chicago and I don't ever recall seeing that many folks huffing and puffing on the way to their seats. An aging fan-base indeed.

My first time attending a race without the mechandise trailers and I came away with mxed emotions. I always liked the individual trailers but with the set-up now, as my co-worker friend said, at least you can actually inspect the stuff before buying it. And they had plenty of cashiers so it wasn't bad at all getting out of there.

Having attended numerous sporting events in my lifetime, I'm of the mindset that I don't need a "device" of some type in order to know what the "score" is at any point during the event. My thought is that between looking at the action in front of me, and what's displayed on the scoreboard, I should be good to go. To that end, I don't listen to a radio broadcast while at a ballgame or a scanner at a race.

Which brings me to my problem with trying to follow the action at Chicagoland yesterday. It's not too hard to keep track of who the leaders are and what their relative position to each other is, but trying to figure out who's a lap (or laps) down can be a chore.

So "my perfect world" suggestion is this:

Instead of the scoring pylon just listing the running order of the cars, why not enhance it to show (like broadcast TV) how far behind the leader every car is (in either seconds or number of laps). That way an on-site observer would know exactly who's fighting for the lucky dog position and, in a race like yesterday's, know the actual running status of non-lead lap Chase contenders like Harvick, Truex and Stewart.

All in all, it was a great time.

I know I'm a little late to the party but I just want to say I'm glad to see Bowman get a top 10 finish and I hope he can continue to showcase his talent in a good car and maybe this will lead to a full time ride with a top notch team in the future.

Don't think that the 22 had a winning car (obviously...duh!) but coming in second was nice to see along with Brad's high finish. Good day for Penske. Survive and move on.

Furniture Row has been a budding organization for a while though. Remember 2013 when Kurt stepped in and did a fantastic job with the team? Then in 2014 there was a transition with Truex. 2015 they dominated a lot of races with an RCR car and this is no fluke. They led a ton of laps, but just did not know how to finish the job. Now, this year they are in the hunt to win every week with a driver hungry for success, a fantastic crew chief, a great staff, and a even better owner.

Barney Visser has built this team from a mid-pack team that is able to beat the primary team in JGR on a daily basis. Say what you want about Truex, but he's damn good and now he's showing it on a daily basis. This is becoming a weekly thing with that 78 car able to win races. A perfect combo at the moment and it shows.

Reflections on a day at the race . . .

Went to the Chicagoland Cup race yesterday, something like the seventh or eighth race that I've been to at that venue since it opened 15 years ago.

Went with my two adult sons (one a hardcore NASCAR fan, the other not so much) and a co-worker who's followed racing, local and otherwise, for the better part of 30 years.

Sitting on the aisle, I couldn't help but notice that, damn, there were a lot of old folks (older than me even) making their way up and down the grandstand steps. I go to a fair number of MLB games on the south side of Chicago and I don't ever recall seeing that many folks huffing and puffing on the way to their seats. An aging fan-base indeed.

My first time attending a race without the mechandise trailers and I came away with mxed emotions. I always liked the individual trailers but with the set-up now, as my co-worker friend said, at least you can actually inspect the stuff before buying it. And they had plenty of cashiers so it wasn't bad at all getting out of there.

Having attended numerous sporting events in my lifetime, I'm of the mindset that I don't need a "device" of some type in order to know what the "score" is at any point during the event. My thought is that between looking at the action in front of me, and what's displayed on the scoreboard, I should be good to go. To that end, I don't listen to a radio broadcast while at a ballgame or a scanner at a race.

Which brings me to my problem with trying to follow the action at Chicagoland yesterday. It's not too hard to keep track of who the leaders are and what their relative position to each other is, but trying to figure out who's a lap (or laps) down can be a chore.

So "my perfect world" suggestion is this:

Instead of the scoring pylon just listing the running order of the cars, why not enhance it to show (like broadcast TV) how far behind the leader every car is (in either seconds or number of laps). That way an on-site observer would know exactly who's fighting for the lucky dog position and, in a race like yesterday's, know the actual running status of non-lead lap Chase contenders like Harvick, Truex and Stewart.

All in all, it was a great time.

It won't be long before we see people in walkers and electric wheelchairs at Nascar races and oxygen stations at strategically placed intervals. People can talk about Nascar having an old audience but when you actually see it in person it drives it home.

I am with you on the radio/scanner issue as the only info I need during a race is who is on the lead lap and what position they are in but I do like your idea about showing that info at the track.

I have not attended a Nascar event with the souvenir tent and I have heard both good and bad about them but for the most part people seem to like them.

The track looks really strange on TV when the camera is panned out because the grandstands look like they take up a very small portion of the track compared to some other 1.5 mile venues. IDK what the quality of the seats would have been but my understanding was is that tickets were still available the day of the race.

Most importantly I am glad you got to have a great day and especially because you were with your sons.

My experiences at the track differ quite a lot.

I have no stats on the ages of the people attending. I see fans of all ages when I go to the track. I've never seen a huge attendance by children at a race in all of the years that I've been attending races. We went as a family with children of a very young age but that was never the norm.

As far as scanners go. I wouldn't attend a race without one. It greatly enhances the entertainment value IMO. I like having the capability of listening to my driver's channel or any other team's channel that I wish to. That, coupled with the radio broadcast is my means of taking in an event. Now, with the Fan View units, there isn't anything that isn't just a push of a button away. Good stuff IMO.

As far as souvenir tents vs. haulers go..... I went into great detail in the Race Experience Thread recently but I think mine was one of the posts that were lost. I still prefer the hauler row over the current setup. We never had an issue with asking for and being able to inspect an item before purchasing when they had the souvenir haulers. Maybe others just never asked.

My thoughts after this race.. two big ones. Chase Elliot man.. so close.

Hendrick power. This race was dominated by the 24 and 48.

Is everyone overlooking the fact that the 48 led the most laps? Or do most find it insignificant? I think the 48 is gonna make some noise

Not for nothing but I think the 24 had the whole field covered.

Back
Top Bottom